• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Island Empire OOC, (Closed)

Lou

Explorer
Mowgli said:
Against the undead (and anything else drawing its 'life'force from the negative material plane) healing magic has the opposite effect.

That's the short answer: undead are harmed by healing magic.

We've already seen the effect from Marienna's mass cure spell:

Marienna chants briefly when making the gestures needed to complete a spell. A wave of healing energy rolls through the room healing 14 points of damage to everyone who is wounded and causing the shadowy undead forms to shiver.

Geoffrey has also now attempted a cure spell attack as well, although Mingo and Marienna may be the only characters who realize that.

Mingo is only doing about 15 points of damage on a good round. Anson is doing 5. The cure spells have the potential to do substantial damage to the undead, if they can hit it with a touch attack.

I've been considering using the cure spell attack on these undead for several rounds. From role-play considerations, Mingo would prefer to use her warsling. It's a tough call. But the inability of the party to end this battle is starting to scare Mingo. She's not quite sure how many attacks we can each individually take.

Monsters with AC25 are tough, especially when you look like AC5 or less to them!

Until we hit the Dread Wraith with something powerful, we're relying on our gnome hero to wear down this monstrosity.

Leif

Adventurer
Gnurl? A Hero??? Surely you frikkin jest, dude!

Lou said:
Until we hit the Dread Wraith with something powerful, we're relying on our gnome hero to wear down this monstrosity.
Gnurl certainly doesn't feel very heroic. His really powerful spells won't have any effect on an undead monster, and the environment of this room prevents him from whupping out a lightning bolt. Luckily, he can stand there and fire his wand of 9th level magic missile spells pretty much for the foreseeable future, and then he can even cast a couple of 9th level magic missiles himself. The positive energy thing was inspired. I totally missed that "shivering" thing. (Sneaky, sneaky Scotty!)

This whole encounter has Gnurl thinking very seriously about taking an early retirement, if he lives!

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Lou said:
The cure spells have the potential to do substantial damage to the undead, if they can hit it with a touch attack.
OOC: I'm not sure I'd recommend TOUCHING a dread wraith, EVER! That may certainly have the potential to do harm to the attacker as well as the target. But that kinda gets back to the similar discussion we had previously about monks using open hand attacks against gelatinous cubes. (Same sort of thing, really, isn't it?)

That was one advantage of Marienna's mass cure spell, too, no touching required!

Scotley

Hero
There is nothing in the rules to suggest that using a touch spell to attack is any more dangerous than using a weapon. While logic dictates otherwise, a strict interpretation of the rules makes for better play in this case.

I'll try to get experience points for this battle up later this evening or in the morning. I hope you learned some valuable undead fighting lessons as you are likely to encounter more of them when you raid the compound to rescue Allois. :]

I'm sorry that my posting has been a little erratic this week. We had a lot going on at work, but I should be able to post with my regular frequency after Monday.

Leif

Adventurer
Undead Fighting

Yeah, I learned a most valuable lesson about undead fighting: AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS!! Bummer that we have tricked ourselves right into an all out war with Dracula, The Mummy, and their whole rotting family. Oh, well, who wants to live forever?

I get it about the touch attack thing, it just still seems a little bit illogical to me, UNlike gnomes, wizards, wraiths, dragons, monsters, magic items........ ;)

I hope the slight delay in our experience award means that you're having trouble counting that high! :lol:

Remove ads