¡Los Californios: The Destined! [IC]

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
From about a quarter of a mile away, Manuel, the Professor, and their assistants watch as Scarlet and Geoffrey's horses reach the far riverbank.

Santiago de Lugo
As Geoffrey and Scarlet move away from the river banks, and past a small barrier of citrus trees, they see what appeared have been a glorious two story adobe mansion consumed in flames. Scattered around the ground you can see less then a dozen bodies, mostly appearing to be the hacienda's servant and staff, laying motionless on the ground with mourners hovering over them.

Glancing around at the scene you see a lone caballero riding towards the site. As he approaches, he yells something to one of the servants then quickly angles his horse to intercept the Scarlet and Geoffrey. "(Spanish) Oye, strangers! You picked a bad time to visit!" The man brought his horse to a stop and calmly placed on hand near his pistol holster. "Tell me, who are you and what brings you to my family's rancho at this distressing hour?"

[sblock=The Lugo Hacienda...in its pristine state]
1890thelugoadobehomeinw.jpg
[/sblock]

OOC: I should note that it will not take too long for the wagon to catch up at this point. So assume that Manuel and Professor Hact can hear the response to the horseman's hail.

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Scarlet

Scarlet greets the man friendly, answering in spanish.

“We are on a journey to bring some important news to the people, and when we saw the fire, we came as quickly as we could, hoping to be able to help. Alas, it seems, the building is lost. I doubt we will be able to contain it at this point. The fire is just too big. I am so sorry for your losses. Say, what caused this? What happened here?”

OOC: And a Persuasion Roll to persuade him of our good intentions...

Kaodi

Hero
While Scarlet converses with the man, Geoffrey surveys the scene more carefully. Not for the first time does he wish he had not had to leave his Stetson behind as he fled from a town where he had outstayed his welcome; he could do with less glare.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
"Please forgive my rudeness, senorita y senior. My anger got the better of me, I am Don Felipe Lugo. My family and our haciendas were attacked by ten men, no doubt by supporters of el nuevo Presidente because we refused to join in on his victorious insurrection." Don Felipe glanced at the hacienda. "I'm afraid that they murdered by family, and those they failed to murder are in danger."

Last edited:

Kaodi

Hero
" Ten men... " says Geoffrey, frowning, " I am good, but I am not that good. " Suddenly he sits up in his saddle, and says in a surprised tone, " Wait, you mean you think these men work for Pio Jesus de Pico? "

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
" Ten men... I am good, but I am not that good."
"Si, ten men, at least ten who were capable of fleeing. They attacked in two groups. One group attacked the homes on alone el Rio Hondo and fled toward's the mission," Don Felipe paused as he glanced atthe wagon, the other attacked the main hacienda and fled south along the main road."
Wait, you mean you think these men work for Pio Jesus de Pico? "
"I do not know if they are working for him, however, I suspect they are among his loyalists since they demanded to know if we were still giving shelter to several Mexican soldiers who fled the pueblo's garrison during the coup and which where they road to when they left."

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Scarlet

“We could probably follow them and try to find out more, but if they are really that many, that might be a little too dangerous,” Scarlet muses.

“You might need to know, however, that Governor Manuel Micheltorena's army has been defeated and the nation is declaring its liberation from Mexico. La República de Alta California is being formed just now.”

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
“You might need to know, however, that Governor Manuel Micheltorena's army has been defeated and the nation is declaring its liberation from Mexico. La República de Alta California is being formed just now.”

"Then it is my hope that the presidente did not hold my family's previous loyalties against us." The caballero frowned, "Especially since we were one of the families who petitioned Mexico to appoint a governor with ties to the imperial army."

Last edited:

Fenris

Adventurer
As the Indio and the Professor roll up in the large wagon the Indion speaks [Spanish] "For whatever motivation, slaughtering innocents is an unacceptable practice, especially if done for political motivations. For now let us help you tend to your wounded and bury your dead."

Remove ads