¡Los Californios: The Destined! [IC]

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
"I'm afraid the one with higher bed is needed, despite the other ones sturdiness. I will send Hans to help loading my gear."
"(Spanish) You heard him." The quartermaster then ordered his men to load the wagon's provisions. After the professor's gear was loaded onto the wagon, the group retired to the saloon in preparation for the next day's journey.

The next morning, the group met at the saloon's common room shortly after sunrise for a quick meal before heading to Don Ramon's stable. As the group approached the stable, they see Bernardo sitting on the corral fence polishing his saber. "(Spanish) I prepared the horses while you were still in the saloon."

The young soldier slid of the railing then sheaved his sword then lead the group into the stable. "(Spanish) Senorita, I suggest you take the mare with the white nose, she isn't known for rearing."

* * * * *​

Although the morning was relatively cloudless, the beginning of the day was marked by a chill that left a fine layer of frost on the grass and shrubs that grow throughout the rolling plains that extend from the pueblo's nearby foothills. As the group travels south on the main road, they find themselves riding parallel to the river about 50 to a hundred feet from it's often reed hidden banks.

Group Notice
--Geoffrey: 1d6=1, 1d6=4 = Sucess
--Manuel = 1d6.open(6)=1, 1d6.open(6)=3 = Failure.
--Professor Hacht: 1d4=2, 1d6=6...1d6.open(6)=2 = Success (raise 1)
--Scarlet: 1d4=1, 1d6=5 = Success
Extras
--Bernardo: 1d6.open(6)=3 =Failure

After traveling south from the pueblo for more then one hour, everyone except for Bernardo, Manuel and Hans notices what appears to be smoke in the distance, and across the river in the direction of the rancho of San Antonio De Lago...

[sblock=Professor Hact]
The professor quickly pulled out his copy of the map, and concluded that the group is about one mile from the ford on the road to Santa Ana (which passes the rancho's main adobes).
[/sblock]

OOC: *Cough* I'm assuming Hans is too busy trying to keep the equipment steady to watch the horizon. However, given that he is a lab assistant, I assume his notice is d6

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
“Thank you, Bernardo,” Scarlet offers accompanied by a friendly smile. She takes the advice of the surely much more experienced rider, knowing quite well, that she is just a novice in the field.

* * * * *​

“Look!” Scarlet calls out, as she notices the smoke pillars in the distance. “Do you see that, too? Smoke! Something is burning! Is that where the rancho is located? They will need our help!”

Walking Dad

First Post
Prof Hagen von Hacht

Von Hacht quickly pulls out and looks at their map, judging nthe distance and voices his conclusion: "We are about one mile from the ford on the road to Santa Ana, which passes the rancho's main adobes, if you don't already know. It could likely be like the Fräulein suggested."

[sblock=OOC]
FATE CHIPS: 2x white, 1x red
Condition:
PP of Lightning Gun: 10 / 10

[/sblock]

Kaodi

Hero
Frowning as he looks ahead at the trail of smoke, Geoffrey says, " I do not know how fast that wagon can move, and if they need help, we must make haste if we wish to give it. Scarlet, you and I could make better time if we ride ahead, and that way neither yourself or the Doctor will be left without protection. " That said, he draws his pistol, not an altogether orthodox looking weapon, and gives it a quick look over to make sure it is in working order.

Fenris

Adventurer
Manuel had been watching the trail carefully for signs of bears and cougars and so did not noticed the smoke. Upon seeing it though he gauges the distance.

[Spanish] "I can stay with the Doctor and wagon and make our way there as quickly as we can" replies Manuel.

Thanee

First Post
Scarlet

“Ok! Then let us ride ahead and see what this is all about. Hopefully it is not too dangerous out there,” Scarlet says.

“We will be careful.”

OOC: Spanish being our 'default' language, if nothing is written there, it is spoken in spanish.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Scarlet and Geoffrey begin to charge forward ahead of the wagon and quickly are able to distance themselves from the rest of the group. Within the span of a few short minutes, the duo arrived at the river's ford. From their position they are able to see what appears to be long two story white painted adobe building house on fire as a group of indios and vaqueros struggle in vain to put out the flames using buckets, and earthen jugs filled with dirty river water.

OOC: I'm not sure if you plan on crossing the river but just incase...
[sblock=Crossing the river]
At the point where the ford is located, the river is about 50 feet wide with a rocky bed, and murky water. When you wade/ride across discover that the river is only about two feet deep at it's inner channel.
[/sblock]

Thanee

First Post
Scarlet

“Hmm... I don't think we will be much help against the fire. But at least it looks like the people are safe,” Scarlet says.

“Should we get closer? Maybe there is something we can do...”

With that, she carefully guides the horse into the ford and across the river.

Kaodi

Hero
" If this fire is the result of arson, the perpetrators may still be near, " says Geoffrey, reining in his horse briefly at the river's edge as he tries to guess where the best footing will be. " And in any case, it might not hurt our standing with our employer to lend a helping hand along the way, as long as it does not take too long. "

Having decides on a place, he guides his horse into the river as well.

Remove ads