• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 101 Mercenary missions

JWO

First Post
***EDIT - I don't necessarily just want ideas for my own game in here. The plan was to produce a resource of ideas for any game so any ideas for missions a mercenary guild might take on will work!***

So I'm going to be DMing an adventure next week where the premise is that the players are all part of a mercenary guild. I thought I'd try to crowd source some ideas for missions that members of a guild might be sent on (partly for my own game and partly just as a resource for other DMs). These threads always seem to come up with some great ideas!

I'll start off with their first mission:

1. A mission on behalf of a local religion to investigate and clear out a long forgotten temple to their god.

Any other mission/adventure hooks (for any game, not just the guild in my own game)?

Last edited:

aramis erak

Legend
I'll start off with their first mission:

1. A mission on behalf of a local religion to investigate and clear out a long forgotten temple to their god.

Any other mission/adventure hooks?

I just used that two and three weeks ago.

Another fun one: Go do some remote curse (from this ritual scroll) that keeps some undead in their tomb... Needs to be done by X...

And, of course, "Go avenge So-and-so the loss of their ___."

Oh, and the ever popular, "Go to X, find Y, and bring [it/them] here."

Bayonet

First Post
(Some City) has boiled over in civil unrest. There are riots in the streets, and ad-hoc militias are kidnapping and executing foreigners and noble families. You have been contracted to rescue (Some guy and his family). Infiltrate the city, make your way to (some guy's home, embassy, etc), extract them and, above all, PROTECT them. Time is of the essence.

Unwise

Adventurer
How many people are in the mercenary guild? Are we talking 10, 100, 1000? Is it large enough that they are doing military style campaigns, or small enough they are doing spec ops style stuff?

JWO

First Post
How many people are in the mercenary guild? Are we talking 10, 100, 1000? Is it large enough that they are doing military style campaigns, or small enough they are doing spec ops style stuff?

That's up to you! I was just hoping for anyone with ideas for any mercenary missions to make suggestions. The guild in my game has around 100 members who come and go but they're not really organised enough to go on any large scale campaigns so they tend to just hire out for smaller missions.

Alright so that's 5 suggestions so far so:

6. The son of Merchant Lord W is travelling to X for the annual festival of Y. He needs bodyguards as his journey with take him through Z.

Gilladian

Adventurer
8.Civil unrest is breaking down trade. Merchants need a rescue mission sent to city x to retrieve trade documents and, if possible, a caravan of goods. And the people traveling with it.

Astrosicebear

First Post
9. A local noble's basement is infested with rats. Clean them out.
10. Julian at the tanner's guild needs more wolf pelts for his orders. Collect 4 Wolf Pelts and return to Julian.
11. A local mother's boy went missing while playing in the fields outside of town. Find the missing boy.

tropes are fun!

Cernor

Explorer
12. A local duchess just gave birth to some deformed abomination (a cambion or half-dragon). Her husband will reward you handsomely to dispose of this whelp as she travels to (some city).

Remove ads