D&D (2024) 1st level monk. Why?

Asisreo

Patron Badass
I'm sure I'm in the minority when I say that I'm not a fan of increasing their HP. When I think of monks, I don't think of someone that's taking damage when constantly when they're in a fight. I think more about them being evasive and elusive. I won't get into the weeds of HP = meat but I do think that if there's going to be a monk that stands as a frontliner, they should be doing so by avoiding damage altogether.

I don't think all monks should be like that, but it could be cool if a monk subclass let the monk add an AC bonus equal to their proficiency if they haven't moved on their turn. Or if they get to take dodge as a bonus action for free in contrast with the open hand's free step of the wind.

Sulicius

Adventurer
1st level:
1. HD boosted to d12, monks are described as peak physical conditioning and toughness.
2. Proficiency in light armor, if you wear light armor you add half wisdom mod(round down) to AC
3. Martial die improves Simple weapons damage as current monk.
4. As mentioned by @mellored; +5ft speed bonus

2nd level: as mentioned by all in various threads; +wis mod to discipline/ki points

3rd level: gain fighting style
Monks already have a fighting style. It is called Discipline.

Remathilis

Legend
2nd level: as mentioned by all in various threads; +wis mod to discipline/ki points

The problem with abilities based on ability score mod per day is that it encourages the race to 20 in that key score. To max out your ability to use that ability, you need to sink your background +2 in that score and makes +2 ASI at 4th an auto pick. Then at 8th, you can get that feat you wanted...

And proficiency is tied to level anyway, so you might as well build it right into the progression unless you want to give a boon to multi-class monks.

I was very in favor of abilities moving away from ability score mod per rest and I don't want to see the trend reversed.

And that really highlights what frustrates me. The Fighter has a wide range of weapon masteries and routes,
You've just jumped from comparing two weapon fighters to monks to comparing all fighters to monks. When you point out that the monk only has limited mastery choices this is true - but to two weapon fight the fighter only has limited mastery choices.

And for some reason you picked what is both absolutely and situationally the worst in Flex. Sap would easily be my choice. It fixes the monk survivability problem. It can't be used by a twf fighter (without a feat) and is a poor choice for a level 5+ fighter because it's not self-stacking so doesn't go well with extra attacks.

mellored

Legend
Would a one level dip in monk be that compelling?

Hmmm…maybe yes with the new step of the wind.
Well you can't give di without giving something to spend it on.

That said. A 1 level dip can get you misty step or shield twice per day. So getting a once per short rest step on the wind or dodge seems in line.

I still want to grapple and shove with Dex.

Remove ads