2e.... more flavor than 3e?

BSF

Explorer
MerricB said:
Since this is a "where's the fluff?" thread, what do people think of the fluffiness of...

Lords of Madness,
Sandstorm,
Heroes of Horror,
Races of Stone, and
Weapons of Legacy?

Each of those books has a mix of mechanics and fluff; some also have downright good advice.

I don't actually own any of those books. None of them had any appeal to me. :\

MerricB said:
Since this is a "where's the fluff?" thread, what do people think of the fluffiness of...

Lords of Madness,

Absolutely fantastic. I got more adventure (and even full-length campaign) ideas out of that book than I have almost anything else since 3E came out.

Sandstorm,

An okay mix. I suppose it could have had a higher flavor-to-crunch ratio, but I'm not sure how it could have been done without making it more setting-specific. Crunch-heavy, but I'm okay with that for a toolkit book like this one.

Heroes of Horror,

More than a little biased on this one. ;) But we certainly tried to get a good solid mix of both flavor and crunch into that one.

Races of Stone, and
Weapons of Legacy?

Haven't read them through in enough detail to common, though I do own them both.

Pants

First Post
Arnwyn said:
You want the objective truth of this?

Good luck with that!
haha, at best I hoped for an interesting discussion ;)

MerricB said:
Lords of Madness,
Fantastic book. I love it. It's fun to read and it has some useful crunchy bits!

For example, while I haven't made use of any of the critters in the book or any of the info on the critters, I have used a few feats and spells when my party ran into a nasty Dragon Below Cultist in Eberron (one who had, elongated limbs).

Draconomicon was probably the book that jumpstarted this trend in my mind and it's still fantastic, especially for the interesting information and rules included in the book.

Sandstorm,
Boring and kinda uninspired. Frostburn had a higher degree of inspired rules and flavor.

Heroes of Horror,
Races of Stone,
I've only skimmed them.

Weapons of Legacy?
I like a lot of the flavor, but some of the weapon mechanics need some work. Color Spray at 8th level? Whoopee!

tetsujin28

First Post
MerricB said:

Lords of Madness,
Sandstorm,
Heroes of Horror,
Races of Stone, and
Weapons of Legacy?
No interest in any of them other than Heroes of Horror.

Turjan

Explorer
MerricB said:

Lords of Madness,
Sandstorm,
Heroes of Horror,
Races of Stone, and
Weapons of Legacy?

Each of those books has a mix of mechanics and fluff; some also have downright good advice.
I don't have the last three books (for Horror I have Call of Cthulhu, for dwarves it's Hammer & Helm, and weapons are dealt with in Artifacts of the Ages: Swords and Staves), but the first two.

I'm very happy with Lords of Madness, because the book gave me lots of cool campaign ideas. I heard from several people that they didn't like this book, but it probably boils down to whether they like this type of monster or not. Frex, I cannot really comment on Libris Mortis, because I don't particularly like undead and use them sparingly. But aberrations are something I love to use :).

Sandstorm was more of a mixed bag, and there's not too much that I will use from the book. Part of the problem may be that they wanted to include stuff from Star Wars and Dune without treading too hard on the respective copyright owners' toes. That's why the book often has this feeling of 'near, but not quite there'.

Remove ads