• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3.5e Eberron Against the Giants -- Recruiting closed.

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
Having looked over Player's Guide to Eberron, they did fit Goliaths in, and a fair number of them are native to Xen'drik in the Titan's Teeth mountains, and they maintain their racial dislike of giants (giants being the reason for the rather small number of Goliaths).

If it works, I'd play a pretty straight up combat sort, Ranger 1/Fighter 2/Barbarian 4/Liberator 1, and make a character geared at being able to stand toe-to-toe with a giant for at least a short period of time. Current build is mostly out of Races of Stone, I'd try for an item with Enlarge Person and a reach weapon to be able to take AoOs on the Giants rather than vice-versa.

Bootmobile

First Post
This sounds like good D&D fun to me. Eberron is great and who doesn't like to slay some giants? :D

I don't know the adventure at all but I do know Eberron pretty well.

I think I would go with a dwarf Ranger 3, Scout 3, Master Thrower 3 using paired throwing axes (unless you aren't using xp penalties in which case he would probably be Ranger 2, Scout 4, and Master Thrower 3). I just love the thought of a dwarf in full plate running circles around giants, bringing them down with well placed axe throws.

Edit: Would we be able to use the Magic Item Compendium for gear? It is really the best place to find items for characters of this level. I know you didn't include it in the allowed source material, so sorry to be a pest, but I am just really hoping. There is at least one item that would really help this build.

Last edited:

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Okay, I can't take it anymore lol. I finally decided on a concept, a human scout. He would be able to recon areas ahead of the main party, but would not be foolish enough to fight on his own. In combat, he would serve to lure targets into ambushes, help hold the flanks, and protect the casters.

I'm actually looking for feedback on this idea. If the majority of people think it will help the party, I will stick with it. If not, then I have another character concept in mind. I just thought this would A) be fun as hell to play and B) help the group quite a bit if played right.

johnsemlak

First Post
IS there space open for this campaign still? I'm interested. I'd probably play either a Dwarven cleric using racial substitution levels from RoS or possibly a giant-slaying paladin or fighter type dwarf.

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Davan Rowe:

Code:
Race: Human
Class: Scout lvl 8
Height: 5'10''
Weight: 168lbs
Alignment: Neutral Good

Str: 12  +1 mod
Dex: 18  +4 mod
Con: 12  +1 mod
Int:  14  +2 mod
Wis: 14  +2 mod
Cha:  8  -1 mod

AC: 24 (10+6 armor+4 dex+1 natural armor+3 misc mod)

HP: 58 [8+(6x7)+8 con mod)

Initiative: +11 (4 dex mod + 7 misc mod)

Base Attack Bonus:  +6/+1

Speed: 50ft

Saving Throws:
   Fortitude: 4 (2 base+ 1 con mod + 1 misc mod)
   Reflex:   10/12  (6 base+ 4 dex mod)+ 2 misc mod
   Will:     4    (2 base+ 2 wis mod)

Attacking:
   Grapple: +7/+2 (6/1 base + 1 str mod)

Composite Shortbow:  +10/+5   dmg:1d6    crit:x3   range: 70ft

Skills: (only those with ranks or misc mods)

(8 + int mod)x 4, 8 + int mod per level, + 1 per level/race

Balance: 17/19 (11 ranks + 4 dex mod + 2 misc mod) +2 misc mod
  Climb:  12 (11 ranks + 1 str mod)
  Hide:  15/17  (11 ranks + 4 dex mod)+2 misc mod
  Jump:  5  (0 ranks + 5 misc mod)
  Knowledge (dungeoneering): 6 (4 ranks + 2 int mod)
  Knowledge (geography):  12 (10 ranks + 2 int mod)
  Knowledge (nature): 12 (8 ranks + 2 int mod + 2 misc mod)
  Listen:  15 (11 ranks + 2 wis mod + 2 misc mod)
  Move Silently: 15/17 (11 ranks +4 dex mod) +2 misc mod 
  Search:  13  (11 ranks + 2 int mod)
  Spot:  15  (11 ranks + 2 wis mod +2 misc mod)
  Survival:  13/15 (11 ranks + 2 wis mod) +2 when following tracks
  Tumble:  15/17  (11 ranks + 4 dex mod) +2 misc mod  

Class Features:
  Skirmish (+2d6, +2AC when moving at least 10ft)
  Trapfinding
  Battle Fortitude +1 (+1 to fortitude saves and initiative)
  Uncanny Dodge
  Trackless Step
  Evasion
  Flawless Stride
  Camouflage
  Fast Movement +10ft 

Feats: (1 for 1st level, 1 for race, 2 bonus feats, 3 for levels)
  Track
  Improved Initiative
  Point Blank Shot (+1 on attack and dmg within 30ft)
  Precise Shot (no -4 penalty for shooting into melee)
  Rapid Shot (one extra ranged attack per round)
  Alertness (+2 on listen and spot)
  Quick Reconnoiter (free action for listen and spot)

Equipment:
  Worn:
Composite Shortbow, 20 arrows, Studded Leather Armor +3 (shadow), 
Goggles of Night, Boots of Striding and Springing, Gloves of 
Dexterity+2, Amulet of Natural Armor+1, Bracers of Armor+2, pouch (4)
Ring of Protection+1, Ring of Sustence
  In pouches: 
Caltrops (2), Smokestick (5), Tindertwig (20), Antitoxin (5), 
Thunderstone (5), Potion of Mage Armor (4), Potion of Cure
Moderate Wounds (3) 

Carrying Capacity: 
  Light Load: 43lbs                   Weight carried: 38lbs
  Med Load: 86lbs
  Heavy Load: 130lbs

Languages:
  Common
  Goblin
  Giant

Money:

36000gp - 35970gp = 30 gp left

s@squ@tch: Here is Davan's concept, personality, and background.

[sblock=concept]Davan Rowe is a recon expert, but very adapt at battling as well. He prefers to be out in front of the group, and checks on the party continually. He never moves so far ahead that he cannot return if he is needed, but that rarely happens as he usually discovers their foes before they discover him. He prefers ranged attacks and will use several different tactics to keep enemies from closing in on him. [/sblock]

[sblock=personality]Davan is not the most charismatic person most people will ever know. He is a kind hearted person and tries to do what is right and good for everyone. He prefers being alone to being in a crowd, but welcomes company while out on the trail. He loves nature, but does not worship it in the least. When in a party, he charges himself with the groups safety. If a member dies as a result of surprise or poor recon, then he takes it quite personal. However, if they die as a result of a face to face, equal (hopefully less than equal, but in our favor) combat, then he views their death as a good death, gives his respect, and moves on.[/sblock]

[sblock=background]He survived everywhere from the tropical regions of the Skyfall Peninsula to the desert of Menechatrun. Davan works mostly as a mercenary for whatever village needs his help. He feels guilty for charging for his services, so he usually charges as little as he can, sometimes just a place to stay for a couple of days and supplies.
He was born somewhere around Obsidian City, in a small, rustic house. His father was a ranger and rarely seen. He was raised by his mother until he was 11, when his father came back and urged Davan to travel with him. While Davan did learn the ways of nature and the wild, he did not worship it, as his father did. He left his fathers care when he was 17, and returned to find that his mother had fallen ill. He cared for her the best he could, even paid for priests to come and heal her, but her sickness overtook her and she died before his 18th birthday. He could not stay in Obsidian City, as he views the life of the city as too hectic and crowded for his tastes. He tried life in Stormreach briefly, as a guide for people to various ruins. Again, city life crowded him. He began to travel, and one day come upon a town being attacked by ogres. He assisted in their demise, thus his life as a merc was born. Since then, he travels. He is usually found in the area known as Titans Teeth. He prefers to spend his time near or in the edges of the forests to the west or north of Titans. He is generally summoned when needed by villages, sometimes through magical means, sometimes through runners. [/sblock]

**edit** made to level 8, except for equipment. I wll do that tomorrow

Last edited:

pathfinderq1

First Post
Besides the ECS, what Eberron sourcebooks are available? The creation guidelines just says Core + Completes (with approval) and has some books specifically disallowed- are any other Eberron books allowed (or specifically disallowed), or are such resources all on a 'by approval' basis? For the most part I'm just curious, as the answer may help me narrow my list of candidates- but I know there is a lot of useful stuff out there, particularly for a higher-level game (RoE, Dragonmarked, the Players Guide, etc.).

Rhun

First Post
I'll try to get a PC Concept posted up this weekend. Also s@squ@tch, when it comes crunch time for choosing players for this game, you know that I am an avid and reliable poster. :D

PC Concept to go here.

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Davan's concept, personality, and background are on my character sheet for him.

p.s. I'm freaking tired. Woke up at 6 this morning, freaking dog.

Remove ads