• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

30th Level Adventure in the next DUNGEON mag!

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
That would be nice to have more Epic adventures. The epic games I was in fell apart because the DM, well, had issues challenging us without making things impossible. And had too many players, too, but that was beside the point.

Brad

Rystil Arden

First Post
Any pre-written 30th-level adventure is probably going to have balance problems, as by the time PCs reach epic levels, each group varies widely in its capabilities. I've found that it is highly important for me to custom-design monsters and NPCs to challenge my level 18-20 group. The great thing is that we started from level 1 and went from the ground up, so I got to watch the characters grow and learn about their capabilities along with the players. Now the party has entered an epic journey of exploration and excavation of ancient sites of power, attempting to seal away the source of magic before anyone can steal it for their own, although recently two of them were sent back in time 10,000 years to the time of the civilisation who created the seals, as well as creating the gods and mortal races...Anyway, I'd almost be willing to bet my Rod of Smiting that my level 18-20 PCs could beat the opposition in this level 30 adventure, as they are very good at what they do.

Mercule

Adventurer
I'm planning for my current campaign to run to 30-35 level. I'll be very interested to see an Epic adventure. Even if I don't use it, it'll be nice to have an idea of what someone else (presumably knowledgible) thinks it takes to build an adventure for that power level.

Aethelstan

First Post
My problem with epic levels is the sheer volume of work it takes as a DM to prep a 20+ level adventure. A stat block on a 22nd level wizard can take forever to do. Also issues of encounter balance become ever more difficult.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Aethelstan said:
My problem with epic levels is the sheer volume of work it takes as a DM to prep a 20+ level adventure. A stat block on a 22nd level wizard can take forever to do. Also issues of encounter balance become ever more difficult.

A very valid point.

Eternalknight

First Post
We started at level 1 and got to 24 before 'retiring' the characters for the time being, mainly because we were running out of ways to challenge them. I look forward to the 30th level adventure.

Crothian

First Post
Aethelstan said:

Like anything, the more you do it the better and faster it goes. So, for my campaign that I ran that we webnt 1-25th the high level NPCs were not a problem since I was used to makiing NPCs of other levels.

freebfrost

Explorer
Emirikol said:
Do people really play campaigns like that anymore?

We sure do!

I'm getting ready to run a 25th level reunion adventure for some old characters.

It will be interesting to see what they have in the 30th level one compared to what I've planned for my adventure.

RuminDange

First Post
I'm looking forward to seeing the 30th level adventure but doubt I'd run it. I borrow ideas, maps etc form Dungeon, but have only run a complete adventure from it once or twice with heavy modifications.
Besides, I'd hate to have to scale an adventure up to where I'd need it and modify it to where I could challenge my players with it. I've got two groups of players that are in the average level 37-40 range. One group was worked up from 1st level, the other started at 30th as a break. Or course my third group is just approaching 18th average so they might get it. :]

Either way I like the seeing the higher level adventures if nothing else than ideas and how someone else does high level adventures.

RD

Remove ads