• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3rd Edition Shadowdancer Question about Shadow Jump

fitsou

First Post
Good Evening to all
i have a question!
a friend of mine had choose to take the Shadowdancer prestige class, and he and my dm has a disagrement on how the Shadow Jump works in this class!

for example
the character A uses his Shadow Jump to hide in the Shadow of a Character B.
if the character B move and the position of his shadow change the character A will follow to be inside characters B shadow or he will stay in Shadow former position and he will be visible?

and fearther more can a shadowdancer use Shadow jump in an allies shadow and travel in the shadow hidden from other npcs??

Kylas

Explorer
fitsou said:
for example
the character A uses his Shadow Jump to hide in the Shadow of a Character B.
if the character B move and the position of his shadow change the character A will follow to be inside characters B shadow or he will stay in Shadow former position and he will be visible?

Well if I understand you correctly you are talking about the 3.0 Shadowdancer abilities Hide in Plain Sight and Shadow Jump.

Shadow jump works just like a Dimension Door spell with the exception that you need to begin and end in shadow of some sort ( I assume you CAN use your own shadow)

Hide in Plain Sight (HiPS) allows you to use the Hide skill while being observed. You can hide without cover or concealment but you need to be within 10' of shadow (CANNOT be your shadow)

In your example above If A used Shadow Jump to move into character B's shadow and hides with HiPS; as long as B continues to fail spot checks character A is hidden from him. If B begins moving and B's shadow moves more than 10' from where A is hiding and if A is out in the open ( no cover concealment or shadows) then Character A is not hiding anymore.

If character A were to follow B's shadow I'd probably give B some Listen checks along with those Spot checks to find out if A is following.

fitsou said:
and fearther more can a shadowdancer use Shadow jump in an allies shadow and travel in the shadow hidden from other npcs??

If I understand this correctly the Shadowdancer CAN use Shadow Jump in an allies shadow travel to an enemies' shadow ( within Shadow Jump range) and appear hidden in an enemies' shadow ( using HiPS). The Shadowdancer wouldn't be able to immediately attack though cause Dimension Door prevents actions until next turn. Remember Shadow Jump works just like a Dimension Door spell.

Hope that help.

I actually have a question based on this. If you hear Character A hiding in my first example and B turns to discern their location, is a effectively invisible or not?

Last edited:

ElectricDragon

Explorer
Since HIPS is just using the Hide skill and the Hide skill either requires a move action or can be done as part of movement to activate; I don't see how a Shadowdancer can hide after a Shadow Jump, which, like Dimension Door allows no actions after the jump. No actions = no movement = no HIPS until next turn.

Now, HIPS and then Shadow Jump would be possible; but would the SD be still hidden after a jump of at least 10 feet into a different shadow or even the same shadow? Some people would say that the Jump itself is movement that allows the Hide check, but then Teleport or Plane Shift or Gate would also allow a Hide check at the end of the journey (if other requirements for hiding are met) even if all the caster's actions had already been used (i.e. last 5 ft. of movement gets through the gate, or move then cast.). If your DM feels it is okay to allow teleport-hide/plane shift-hide/gate-hide then shadow jump-hide/dimension door-hide could also be possible.

If I'm wrong, I am sure that some Smurf will let me know!

Ciao
Dave

Kylas

Explorer
ElectricDragon said:
Since HIPS is just using the Hide skill and the Hide skill either requires a move action or can be done as part of movement to activate; I don't see how a Shadowdancer can hide after a Shadow Jump, which, like Dimension Door allows no actions after the jump. No actions = no movement = no HIPS until next turn.

Now, HIPS and then Shadow Jump would be possible; but would the SD be still hidden after a jump of at least 10 feet into a different shadow or even the same shadow? Some people would say that the Jump itself is movement that allows the Hide check, but then Teleport or Plane Shift or Gate would also allow a Hide check at the end of the journey (if other requirements for hiding are met) even if all the caster's actions had already been used (i.e. last 5 ft. of movement gets through the gate, or move then cast.). If your DM feels it is okay to allow teleport-hide/plane shift-hide/gate-hide then shadow jump-hide/dimension door-hide could also be possible.

If I'm wrong, I am sure that some Smurf will let me know!

Ciao
Dave

Actually quoting from D20 SRD

"Hide
Action
Usually none. Normally, you make a Hide check as part of movement, so it doesn’t take a separate action."

A hide check is only an action if you need to use an action to hide.

E.g. If you were sleeping in bushes you wouldnt be "actively" hiding but an enemy would still get a spot check to try and see you. His spot would be opposed by your hide check ( with modifers from your DM maybe..) If you gate/telo/D-door into a woman's bedrrom in broad daylight you can't hide cause your being observed. So you would need to move to cover/conceament to be able to hide. But since you just used your action your turn would be over.

Now if your shadow dancer your and your within 10' shadow you would be able to Hide in the womans room cause of HiPS. She would roll spot and might still see you but HiPs allows you your Hide Check.

ElectricDragon

Explorer
Normally you make a Hide check as part of movement=Normally, you have to move.

The exception for that is listed after that (this is the part where usually does not apply): However, hiding immediately after a ranged attack (see Sniping, above) is a move action.

Usually, none: except for Sniping. No action, just part of an action, No move= no hide. You might be hard to see because of shadows or cover, but you are not hiding. You have to try to hide to use the skill. There is no automatically hiding whenever within 10 ft. of a shadow.

Ciao
Dave

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads