• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[4e] IG's Herald of Discord [RECRUITING CLOSED]

industrygothica

Adventurer
Oni, you're going to hate me.

Two things, and I'll start with the good news.

I'm pretty sure that on a critical hit your warlock's curse damage is also maximized. That means you'd do 33 damage instead of 28.

Now the bad news.

Ethereal stride is a move action, not a standard action. PH 284 says that in order to double move, you have to use the same move action twice in a row on the same turn. I take that mean that you can't move your speed and then use a move action power for a double move.

I've proven I'm no expert on the rules here, so feel free to explain it to me if you think I'm wrong. This is a learning experience for everyone, I suppose.

Shayuri

First Post
But I think you can "trade in" a standard action for a move action, can't you?

So he could trade in his standard for a move to Ethereal Stride, then use his regular move, and so on...

industrygothica

Adventurer
But I think you can "trade in" a standard action for a move action, can't you?

So he could trade in his standard for a move to Ethereal Stride, then use his regular move, and so on...

Re-reading the section you're talking about (PH 269), I see what you're saying. The two sections are almost contradictory, but I think I get what it's trying to say. We'll keep the move as it is and get on with it then.

-IG

industrygothica

Adventurer
The update is finished. Shayuri is up to finish the round, then we'll start over back at the top.

One hyena is down, and all the other enemies are bloodied. Midnight is in a bad way, but still functioning.

Oni

First Post
The movement thing almost had me stumped it took me a little while to figure it out, but I think I've got a pretty good reading on it now.

You have 3 actions during a turn.

Standard Action
Move Action
Minor Action

You can trade any higher action for the one below it. So you could move, then use your standard action to move again since you traded it down.

"On your turn, you can move twice if you take a move action instead of a standard action."

I read that to be a statement of the general rule.

"IF you take the same move action twice in a row - two walks, two runs, two shifts, two crawls - you're taking a double move."

I read that to mean if you take two move actions and they happen to be the same sort of move action you are performing a double move which affords some small benefits over simply moving twice. Namely in how you can move through occupied squares and how far you can move in difficult terrain.

So both are true. :) I thought 4e was supposed to the simple dnd...

On a seperate note, as much as I like the extra damage, I think you decide whether or not you wan to apply curse damage to a target after your other damage is rolled. My assumption was it couldn't be maxed since it was a seperate roll, but I won't swear to it.

industrygothica

Adventurer
It's the general assumption on the wizards boards (granted, they're no rules experts either) that the only damage that is not maxed on a critical hit is extra damage that wouldn't otherwise be rolled without the critical hit.

Some weapons deal an extra 3d6 (for example) damage on a critical hit, and that damage is rolled. All other damage is maxed.

Again, that's just the impression I get from researching over there. That also means a rogue's sneak attack damage is maxed on a crit, as well as a ranger's HQ damage.

Since it benefits the players and not the DM, I'm inclined to go with this ruling for now until we find out otherwise, assuming that's ok with you guys.

On a side note, I'm really sorry about getting bogged down in rules discussion. I hate it, but it's apparently a necessary evil. Hopefully once things get ironed out a bit we won't have the need anymore.

Oni

First Post
Speaking for myself at least, no need to apologize, I've actually found it to very informative and have learned several things I didn't know before. Part of my motivation for joining this game was to learn the rules and the slower pace of a PbP seemed condusive to that. I appreciate you being open to discussion on the rules.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Speaking for myself at least, no need to apologize, I've actually found it to very informative and have learned several things I didn't know before. Part of my motivation for joining this game was to learn the rules and the slower pace of a PbP seemed condusive to that. I appreciate you being open to discussion on the rules.
Ditto. This is my first 4E game and wanted to join a game so that I don't feel like an idiot when and if I ever join a 4E face-to-face game.

industrygothica

Adventurer
Shayuri, how would you feel about chronicling the HoD campaign? Like maybe for a new story hour thread or something?

I'm sure you've got enough on your plate already, but I had to ask. ;)

-IG

Shayuri

First Post
I'm flattered that you'd ask! :)

Before I commit either way though, let me get a 'feel' for the game a bit longer. As far as how its pacing and characterizations go, I mean. That'll also give me a chance to assess two things crucial to writing projects; time and inspiration.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads