• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[4e] IG's Herald of Discord [RECRUITING CLOSED]

industrygothica

Adventurer
The extra d6 is from his magic wand. All magic weapons/implements give you extra damage on a crit, by default +1d6 per point of enhancement on the weapon (some are higher dice, for example the Vicious weapon property makes it +1d12 per point of enhancement, it's listed in the statblock).

Except that he rolled an 18, so that's not a crit. I think the damage expression for a typical Eldritch blast should be 1d10+4 (that's +3 for a 16 Cha, and +1 for the magic implement). In this case, there's also 1d6 added to the damage because the enemy in question is cursed. The other 1d6 shouldn't be added unless the hit is a crit, and this one wasn't... unless there's yet something else that I'm missing.

industrygothica

Adventurer
What you are missing is that my wand is a +1 magic item. ;)

Therefore +1d6 damage.

That's exactly it. I'm not seeing where you earn an extra die roll just because you're using a magic implement. You get a +1 bonus to normal attack and damage because you're using a +1 implement. You get a +1 bonus to attack and damage roll plus 1d6 extra damage on a critical hit, but not a normal hit.. which this one was.

On your character sheet, you have the damage value for Eldritch Blast as 1d10+3, 1d6+1. I think it should just be 1d10+4 (+3 for 16 Cha, +1 for the implement). You don't add the extra 1d6 unless it's a critical hit.

And then, of course, you gain an additional 1d6 if your target happens to be cursed at the time of the hit.

Oni

First Post
That's exactly it. I'm not seeing where you earn an extra die roll just because you're using a magic implement. You get a +1 bonus to normal attack and damage because you're using a +1 implement. You get a +1 bonus to attack and damage roll plus 1d6 extra damage on a critical hit, but not a normal hit.. which this one was.

On your character sheet, you have the damage value for Eldritch Blast as 1d10+3, 1d6+1. I think it should just be 1d10+4 (+3 for 16 Cha, +1 for the implement). You don't add the extra 1d6 unless it's a critical hit.

And then, of course, you gain an additional 1d6 if your target happens to be cursed at the time of the hit.

This is exactly right.

If you look at a magic rod for instance you'll see that +1d6 is noted in the following way.

Critical: +1d6 damage per plus.

The relevant information concerning that entry is on pg. 225, but in short it describes an effect that happens on a critical and only on a critical.

industrygothica

Adventurer
I'm being a bit lazy in getting back to my games since I've come back from vacation, but I assure you that I haven't forgotten about you. Give me a little more time for a mental break, and we'll get back to it.

In the mean time, I'd like to make sure everyone's still with us. How about a roll call?

Remove ads