• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e vs. Paizo: Mommy, Daddy, please stop fighting!

That'd be me, and thank you for the kind words!

Easy links to material for those who want to take a look at it:

Conversion project blog

Compiled conversion PDF for Burnt Offerings

Paizo update tracking thread

Also, we don't know 4th edition well enough to produce content for it that would be up to our own standards. I don't want to produce something that's sub-par and riddled with errors.
James, have you read Dannager's 4th edition conversion of Burnt Offerings? Its very good, and I particularly like the way he explains his thought processes as you go along. I learned a lot about 4th edition reading it.

Neil Bishop

First Post
(snip) When it comes to adventures, it's just not working out for me.(snip)

If Rich Baker's name is on it then it seems to be solid... otherwise, I have to agree that the WotC adventures have lost their mojo.

I'm not sure what has happened to Bruce Cordell. The same guy who turned out a couple of my favourite 2E adventures (The Shattered Circle, The Gates of Firestorm Peak- IMO, one of the best adventures of any edition- and, of course, the Return to the Tomb of Horrors) seems to have lost his adventure-writing mojo. I hope he finds it again.

The 4E adventure path just doesn't cut it for me either. At the time we're seeing Paizo pump out some really great adventure paths, the WotC effort is lacklustre and uninspired (IMO). Both the published modules and Dungeon's Scales of War just don't have that special something (coherence? consistency? inspiration?) that make either series feel like a true adventure path. YMMV.

But 4E vs Paizo? Edition wars suck. Or blow chunks. I can appreciate any edition of D&D and wish we could leave threads at that.

Dannager

First Post
James, have you read Dannager's 4th edition conversion of Burnt Offerings? Its very good, and I particularly like the way he explains his thought processes as you go along. I learned a lot about 4th edition reading it.
In case he doesn't pop back in, I know that James is aware of it, whether or not he has looked at it in any detail. I'm glad you're finding it instructive, though. That's part of the point, actually. I started the project in large part as a way of learning about 4th Edition myself.

I might also add the the Compiled Conversion PDF for The Skinsaw Murders is now available.

Last edited:

vagabundo

Adventurer
Snippity snip

It's a shame - from my point of view - but understandable.

I still think it is something you should consider, possibly after pathfinder has been launched next year. And there are a lot of freelancers about that do know 4e very well, they could do a stat conversion document with some 4e tips for the encounters.

Anyway, all the best with PF...

Last edited:

lucasmax2

First Post
Can I just say, as much as I love both companies, I would much prefer to watch Mearls and Bulmahn fighting it out than kissing and "making up"

dm4hire

Explorer
This reminds me of Intel vs AMD. The market is big enough for both and has been pointed out you are free to mix and match all you want.

Betote

First Post
Can I just say, as much as I love both companies, I would much prefer to watch Mearls and Bulmahn fighting it out than kissing and "making up"

Oh, but why choose? Let's make them fight and make up :D

(And then I wonder where do my nightmares come from...)

DM_Jeff

Explorer
The real karma here, going full-circle if you will, is that with all the entertainment Paizo and Wizards of the Coast provides their customers, it's good to imagine Bulmahn and Mearls sitting back with their arms around each other drinking a beer and laughing their heads off reading this thread.

It's nice to know as a community we can entertain them too. :lol:

-DM Jeff

Last edited:

Mournblade94

Adventurer
Come again? I don´t get this sentence.

I mean that 4e is not necessarily a better game system, but it will be more popular and bring in more money because WOTC can afford to hire high end publicity companies. The marketing minds at these firms are quite efficient.

Paizo probably cannot afford the high end publicity company and so will not be any real competition for 4e.

4e will not sell better because it is a better system, it will sell better because of the marketing and the money available to invest in publicity.

James Jacobs

Adventurer

I have not read it yet. I'm glad he's doing it and I'm glad it's very good, but for now, I'm focusing on making the PF RPG stuff as error-free as possible, and one of my tactics for doing that is avoiding trying to learn new rules for other game systems to prevent rule-creep from vexing me. Also, pretty much all of my "gaming" energy these days is spent on Pathfinder stuff or running one of the Pathfinder RPG or Call of Cthulhu games I run—I don't have much of that energy left after all that to check out new stuff.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads