• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4th Edition Red Wizards

ZappoHisbane

First Post
DandD said:
Bah, if you really followed the rules in D&D 3.X, you had to roll randomly for your NPCs as well...

As I recall, the Standard and Elite Arrays were part of the rules in 3.X, and entirely not random. I'd even dare to say that the system assumed you were going to use them for NPCs and monsters, rather than alternative methods.

Cirex said:
70 is a random number, but following some guidelines.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

DandD

First Post
me said:
...so in the end it simply is the same as in D&D 4th edition if they're going to tell you how much hp the NPC should approximately have.
Yo, bro, don't forget the missing part as well next time. ;)

Carnivorous_Bean

First Post
drjones said:
The only thing making all PC race NPCs require PC class levels would provide is to give Anal Retentive Rules Nuts something to complain about when an official product gives some mook bandit 1 too many skill points in Knowledge: Bass Fishing. I realize this is a major loss for the ARRN for which I am deeply sorry.

Mind if I latch onto this as a signature, with proper attribution? :D

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Kishin said:
Not all NPCs are classless.

This has been said innumerable times by developers.

You can still build NPCs as classed characters.

I'm starting to think about putting together a fund to have this skywritten in major cities throughout the world the day 4E releases.

Individual DMs can do so if they desire, but I sincerely doubt that we'll see any NPCs that are built with PC rules in WotC products.

Campbell said:
Individual DMs can do so if they desire, but I sincerely doubt that we'll see any NPCs that are built with PC rules in WotC products.
I dunno. Elminster (for example, if he still lives) would be to important a character to be statted as an NPC. IMO there will be some mega villians or heroes as PC classes.
But I could be wrong :)

Jim DelRosso

First Post
IIRC, Mearls posted a few months back about how quickly he statted up two NPCs for a product using PC classes. Gnoll warlock and something else, I think.

mach1.9pants said:
I dunno. Elminster (for example, if he still lives) would be to important a character to be statted as an NPC. IMO there will be some mega villians or heroes as PC classes.
But I could be wrong :)
Explain to me the benefit of stating up "important" NPCs as PCs as opposed to Elites or Solos again?

No real reason, but I just get the feeling that it will be done for 'completeness'. I enjoyed reading through the original realms 3E hardcover and having the famous NPC's statted up (Artremis Entreri, Elminster, etc). I had no intention of using them IMC; or in fact having them IMC! And I reckon that will still happen. Just my opinion :)

mach1.9pants said:
No real reason, but I just get the feeling that it will be done for 'completeness'. I enjoyed reading through the original realms 3E hardcover and having the famous NPC's statted up (Artremis Entreri, Elminster, etc). I had no intention of using them IMC; or in fact having them IMC! And I reckon that will still happen. Just my opinion :)
Ah, okay, cool, to satisfy geek curiosity and provide character examples for players, actually, that's not a bad reason.

It's just they mentions Jarlaxle and the Red Wizard lich guy as being Solos, and I was trying to think why you wouldn't do that for other characters.

small pumpkin man said:
Ah, okay, cool, to satisfy geek curiosity and provide character examples for players, actually, that's not a bad reason.

It's just they mentions Jarlaxle and the Red Wizard lich guy as being Solos, and I was trying to think why you wouldn't do that for other characters.
Yeah you put it better than me.....satisfying my inner geek :cool:
Well, in fact, satisfying my outer geek as well!

Remove ads