D&D 5E 5e 10/10 Products

ECMO3

Hero
Hi there! We're at the end of the first 5e cycle (2014-2023) and before the 2024 rulebooks are published, we can reflect on various aspects in the history of the edition. In retrospect, I still believe that the 5e ruleset is the best ever produced, but I'm really disappointed at the overall quality of the published material. There are in my opinion really few gems, ten-out-of-ten products for 5e.

The excellent products are the three core rulebooks (yes even the DMG is outstanding), the original Starter Set with Lost Mines of Phandelver, Curse of Strahd and Tomb of Annihilation.

Most of the Adventures and of the Settings were really disappointing.
I don't like the direction WotC are going.

Any opinions?

Agree on direction. Here are the 10/10 products IMO:

PHB
MM
TCE
Original Starter set with LMOP
HODQ (I know many will disagree with this)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Hi there! We're at the end of the first 5e cycle (2014-2023) and before the 2024 rulebooks are published, we can reflect on various aspects in the history of the edition. In retrospect, I still believe that the 5e ruleset is the best ever produced, but I'm really disappointed at the overall quality of the published material. There are in my opinion really few gems, ten-out-of-ten products for 5e.

The excellent products are the three core rulebooks (yes even the DMG is outstanding), the original Starter Set with Lost Mines of Phandelver, Curse of Strahd and Tomb of Annihilation.

Most of the Adventures and of the Settings were really disappointing.
I don't like the direction WotC are going.

Any opinions?
I find many of their products to be 10/10, and love the direction they’re going.

Tomb Of Annihilation is fine, but my mind first goes to Eberron: RFTLW, Wildemount, The PHB but not the other two core books, the Essentials box, and (very controversial opinion ahead) Spelljammer*.

The two Everything books are close, and Bigby’s seems quite good but I haven’t digested it fully yet.

The Planescape set is a real shocker for me. I actively disliked Planescape, I still despise the great wheel cosmology, I find the notion of alignment planes truly asinine, I hate the whole “dumb berks think gods matter lol” vibe, and yet…I wanna play that adventure.

The book of Many Things isn’t too surprising. I like new magic items, I love Tarot and astrology in spite of not taking either very seriously, I love adventure seeds and locals and little bits of lore and basically everything that’s in the book.

*I never actually liked spelljammer before, as I found it to be the silliest possible take on D&D in space, but they hooked me with this set.

Remove ads