D&D 5E 5e CB's Stonefast OOC -- COMPLETE

Skarsgard

Explorer
On the subject of sleeping in armour, I also think that characters should not be able to take a long rest whilst in armour.

In my own games I use Fatigue if the players choose to or are forced to stay in armour over a long rest.

Colden's character sheet is update with manouevers and superiority dice.

Forged Fury

First Post
We last discussed this in early February. Now that Fulgrim is an Abjurer, is this protocol still relevant?

Sorry, this post slipped past me. Now that we're probably going to be facing harder hitting enemies, let's bump that up to < 10 HP. They have to get through Fulgrim's ward first. It actually works nicely as, if the Shield spell keeps him on his feet, it partially recharges his ward.

At full capability, Fulgrim should have 20 HPs and a 8HP ward. Digging into the PHB to see what two spells I am going to take.

Last edited:

I need to dig into the meat of what an Abjurer can do so that I understand more fully how shield interacts with Fulgrim's ward. I'll read up, but I want you to watch the IC carefully next time there is combat, and point out any errors I may commit.

With respect to whether a character suffers a penalty for sleeping in armor, my gut instinct says there should be a penalty. I don't see a fatigued condition for 5e (see PHB 290-292). There is, however, an exhausted condition that comes with six different levels, ranging from disadvantage on ability checks (level 1) to death (level 6). For every long rest a character spends sleeping in armor, he suffers +1 to his exhaustion. Conversely, every long rest a character spends sleeping WITHOUT armor will reset his exhaustion due to having previously slept in armor back to 0.

E.g., Colden sleeps in his armor on long rest #1. His exhaustion level due to armor is 1. The next day, Colden nearly drowns while attempting to swim across a murky pond, adding another +1 to his exhaustion level. His total exhaustion level is 2. Colden stupidly sleeps in his armor during long rest #2. His exhaustion level due to armor increases his total exhaustion level to 3. The next day, Colden is the victim of a poison that adds another +1 to his exhaustion level. His total exhaustion level is 4. The next time the party has a long rest, Colden sleeps without his armor. When he wakes up, his total exhaustion level is 2 (+1 for nearly drowning in the pool, and +1 for the poison). If the long rest without armor was also enough to negate the exhaustion from nearly drowning, his total exhaustion level might even have dropped to 1.

Re: Fulgrim's ward, I'm looking at Arcane Ward, PHB 115. Question, does Fulgrim's intelligence modifier get multiplied by two, or is his intelligence modifier merely added to the end product? The grammar is ambiguous. Fulgrim is 3rd level, so by my reading whenever he casts a first level or higher abjuration spell, he automatically gets the benefit of a ward that can absorb either eight or ten hit points.

Also, I'm slightly unclear how to reconcile two potentially conflicting sentences in the Arcane Ward description. First we have, "Whenever you cast an abjuration spell of 1st level or higher, the ward regains a number of hit points equal to twice the level of the spell." But we also have this sentence, "Once you create the ward, you can't create it again until you finish a long rest." Tentatively, my reading suggests to me that Fulgrim can replenish the ward by casting another abjuration spell of first level or higher, even without having a long rest. The Arcane Ward description doesn't, however, state when the ward could be destroyed such that one would need to "create" it again.

Let me know, please, what the current popular thought is on this subject.

Forged Fury said:
. . . let's bump that up to < 10 HP. They have to get through Fulgrim's ward first. It actually works nicely as, if the Shield spell keeps him on his feet, it partially recharges his ward.
Sorry for multiple posts. I have time this evening to devote to gaming and am trying to crunch out as much as I can before I forget.

Would you please add this routine to Fulgrim's character sheet in the RG? That way, when I forget when shield triggers, I'll have a handy reference.

Forged Fury

First Post
Re: Fulgrim's ward, I'm looking at Arcane Ward, PHB 115. Question, does Fulgrim's intelligence modifier get multiplied by two, or is his intelligence modifier merely added to the end product? The grammar is ambiguous. Fulgrim is 3rd level, so by my reading whenever he casts a first level or higher abjuration spell, he automatically gets the benefit of a ward that can absorb either eight or ten hit points.
It would be 8 HP. After a long rest, the first time an Abjurer casts an abjuration spell (of any level, the level is irrelevant for the initial creation as long as it isn't a cantrip), an arcane ward is created and has Max HP equal to (Abjurer Level * 2) + Int Mod.

Also, I'm slightly unclear how to reconcile two potentially conflicting sentences in the Arcane Ward description. First we have, "Whenever you cast an abjuration spell of 1st level or higher, the ward regains a number of hit points equal to twice the level of the spell." But we also have this sentence, "Once you create the ward, you can't create it again until you finish a long rest." Tentatively, my reading suggests to me that Fulgrim can replenish the ward by casting another abjuration spell of first level or higher, even without having a long rest. The Arcane Ward description doesn't, however, state when the ward could be destroyed such that one would need to "create" it again.
Basically, the ward isn't dispelled until you complete a long rest. The first line of the second paragraph states: "When the ward has 0 hit points, it can't absorb damage, but it's magic remains." What it is saying is that the ward can be reduced to 0 HP at which point it really doesn't do you any good, but can still be recharged by casting abjuration spells so that it could start absorbing HP damage again. The lines are there to prevent abuse of recreating the ward, since you get a lot more mileage out of a low-level abjuration spell when creating the ward (where level doesn't matter) than you do recharging the ward (where level does). Then again, they kind of screwed up the ability in any event since you could dip Warlock or be a Deep Gnome with the racial magic feat and pretty much always have a fully topped off arcane ward after any fight.

Last edited:

Forged Fury

First Post
:( 2nd Level Wizard Spells, while awesome, are garbage when it comes to abjurations. A single abjuration spell (I even checked the Elemental Evil Player's Guide): Arcane Lock, which consumes 25gp each cast.

In light of probably not picking up an abjuration spell this level, I think I'll grab Invisibility and Mirror Image, still pondering though...

Remove ads