D&D 5E 5e CB's Stonefast OOC -- COMPLETE

About waking an unconscious character with healing: I, of course, think that's the right call; and to further support that decision, I would like to appeal to the legal mind of our DM and say, "There is precedent." Specifically, when one heals any hit points on an unconscious character who is at 0 hit points, that character becomes conscious again; so it would seem not to be far out of line at all for the same thing to happen to an unconscious character who is not at 0 hit points.
I checked the spell description, and the description for poisoned and unconscious and saw nothing to the contrary. I haven't looked through the DMG or more fully through the PHB, though. If anyone knows otherwise, pipe up. I'm not going to retcon otherwise, but I'd be interested to know if there's an actual rule about it.

Forged Fury

First Post
There is not. It's one of the complaints some people have about 5E. You'll see it sometimes referred to as whack-a-mole gameplay.lots of house rules out there about it.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
To be fair (to poor Spec) it's not whack-a-mole, which is when you go down to zero hp, and bounce back up. In my experience, any one who doesn't run away when bouncing back to 1hp is a dope.

Spec still had a few hit points, and suffered from the drow poison. He didn't run away, I note. I guess we'll see if he's a dope in the next round... :D

Forged Fury

First Post
I have no idea what you got hit with, pretty much assumed whatever it was dropped you to 0 HP. If it's poison, I'd read the effect and see what it says. It probably gives a duration for how long you would stay unconscious.

ETA: Drow poison, for instance, knocks you out if you fail spectacularly. It lasts for an hour or until you take damage or someone uses an action to shake you awake.

Last edited:

Spec failed a drow poison Con throw by more than five, and that's what knocked him unconscious. There is nothing in the drow MM entry about the effect of healing, and nothing in the PHB in either the spell description, or the "poisoned" or "unconscious" descriptions.

The one thing that DOES tip it for me is that the drow entry specifically says a "target wakes up if it takes damage or if another creature takes an action to shake it awake." Since Guran cast a spell, I am comfortable that his use of resources to wake Spec is equivalent to or better than shaking Spec awake.

I made the ruling semi-on-the-fly while at work (without my MM), and think I lucked into getting it right. Coulda gone either way, I admit.

Last edited:

Remove ads