D&D 5E 5e DND paladin/cleric build - broken? OP? Can I make it OP?

Alistur

First Post
So its silly,but here's wherethis build came from: Tyrael (Diablo). I wanted to make a build that was a nod to him, but I don't need to stick too close. Just wanted a high attack holy warrior.

My build is a Pal.6 / Cleric 14 (tempest) and I want your opinions on 1) am I breaking any rules, 2) does this sound too OP and 3) any suggestions on making it even more dangerous.

Trying to be as brief as I can, I wanted to start off 5 levels of paladin for the smites, avenger oath and the extra attack before I multiclassed. As a side note, figured I'd throw in that 6th level whenever I felt like I needed/wanted higher saving throws.

So if I start multiclassing with a cleric (tempest) my initial few levels won't give me many spells, but soon I'll start outpacing what paladins get, which equals more smites in total.

I also liked how clerics get extra d8 damage at 8th and 14th level that I don't need spell slots for, so that gives me more longevity in extra damage. I know the most smite damage I can do as a Pal level 6 is an extra 3d6, so with my cleric eventually being level 14, I'd have the same amount of extra d8 damage (granted maybe a little slower, but I'll have more total smites). So doing it this way I'll have more spells slots for a ton more smites ranging from my automatic 2d8 cleric damage plus 3d8 from smiting and being able to use any spell slot from 2nd to 9th for it. Take that, my two attacks and getting advantage (on one enemy) from my oaths channel divinity and I thought that's pretty awesome. And who knows what kind of concentration buff I'll throw in, maybe hunters mark for an extra d6, bless for extra attention or something.

Oh and the biggest benefit to rolling so many dice that I saw was when I take (I forget the current terms) battle style and take the great weapon fighting one it lets me re-roll any 1s or 2s on damage dice I make withy great sword. I can write exact terminology down if you guys need, but basically what I did to make sure I was reading that right, I looked up that feat that does something similar and they specified ver clearly that you only get to re-roll the weapons damage dice, while the fighting style says I get to re-roll damage I deal basically by using the melee weapon. It's like it was worded juat that way for smite damage. So, that's pretty powerful to me. Pretty crazy.

Now for spells. I just love call lightning. Not quite as cool that I have to take an action for extra bolts (no more attacking and having lightning rain down), but pretty amazing since I'll have an extra channel divinity to use (eventually) to maximize, lets say a 9th level spell slot of call lightning, for an instant 90 damage (assuming its not stormy out).

Basically that's all I'd do. Use some buffs, smite the crap out of people and when I need some crowd control use a high level slot for call lightning and maybe, what was it called? Ice storm?

There's plenty of other perks that this Pal/cleric gets, but those are the big ones I was excited about.

Does all that seem legit? Everything looks solid to me.

Also, what other suggestions do you all have to make it better? I didn't touch on feats I know. I just picked up resilience for the proficiency in con. Saves (less chance of losing my concentration buffs, plus it actually gave me more hp). But I want to know any suggestions for making this even more crazy... Well, minus a halberd or something. Cool pole arm master feat, but even though it might be better for an extra smite chance, I just... Man, I just have to have the great sword ;)

Thanks everyone! Sorry for not having a lot of specifics and for any spelling errors. Didn't have my book and its rough typing so much on a phone.

Thanks again.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
I think you can get what you want (lots of dice, lots of smites) quicker with 3 levels of Warlock.

This gets you two 2nd level slots that refresh every short rest. Think of them as smite recharges.

Or, it gets you one smite and one use of Hex. You like that Tempest's 1d8 damage add at 8th level? Get a 1d6 at 1st level instead.

If you're creating a high-level character, then nevermind. But if starting at low level and going one level at a time... Warlock is the quicker, easier path.

Plus, the Pact Blade is very Tyrael-like. Angels don't use sheaths. Pick Archfey for the cool AOE charm/frighten, and go terrorize some shepherds.

Alistur

First Post
Hmm, I love the idea about the pact blade. Being able to summon and dismiss your weapon sounds awesome, not to mention the extra temp HP for dropping an enemy (I think you get that at the same warlock level you get the blade, right?).

As far as Hex goes, I'm pretty sure that's a concentration spell and I've already got hunters mark that gives me a d6 to attack. Got that at 3rd level from my paladin oath.

The short rest recharging smites sounds wonderful, I'm just, well I love call lightning doing 9d10 damage every round and at least max damage on one of those blasts (assuming I use my 9th level slot). And wouldn't I get a ton more smites even with a couple short rests in a day?

Awesome suggestion, I'd love to do that just for summoning my pact blade whenever I want. Would I have an issue being a paladin and a warlock though?

Andor

First Post
Awesome suggestion, I'd love to do that just for summoning my pact blade whenever I want. Would I have an issue being a paladin and a warlock though?

Well, that's very much between you and your GM. And it does depend heavily on how everything is fluffed.
For example an Oath of Ancients Paladin and a Fey Pact warlock could easily have both oaths sworn to the same Fey lord (or different ones if you want faerie politics to be an issue.) An Oath of Order Pally with a Fiend pact seems like the most obvious conflict. I do see ways around that, but really it depends on what story you and your GM want to tell.

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
Don't take the pact names literally. Just re-name the fiend pact as the vengeance pact and it pretty much fits right in thematically.

Remove ads