• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5e EPIC MONSTER UPDATES

dave2008

Legend
Dave nice work with posting the dragons but I've noticed a mistake on the hit points of the golden dragon. Isn't the bonus health should be amount of hit die x con mod?

Yes, but it is Con mod w/out the epic bonus, so it is 9x30 = 270.

I don't know why I decided to not add the epic bonus to hit points, but I didn't. I believe that is explained in the OP, but it has been a long time since I posted that so could be wrong.

Last edited:

Blacklight85

First Post
Yes, but it is Con mod w/out the epic bonus, so it is 9x30 = 270.

I don't know why I decided to not add the epic bonus to hit points, but I didn't. I believe that is explained in the OP, but it has been a long time since I posted that so could be wrong.

Ahh okay mate thanks for the heads up appreciate the time you give in this project.

dave2008

Legend
I have updated all of the Ancient dragons to the new designs. These should be a real threat for most lvl 17-20 parties, all I can say is: don't fail your saving throw against these breath weapons!

Nathan Mitchell

First Post
Currently a part of a 20th level campaign as a playtest for two of my homebrew classes (the Spellblade class and the Force Missile Mage subclass of Wizard) and I have to say, these have been much more challenging and therefore appropriate to our level than the Tarrasque as written in the Monster Manual for example. Our 5-man party had to fight the Terrasque and Tiamat simultaneously to truly feel challenged before finding your thread. Of course, my group enjoys optimising down to the last minute detail, as a full party no less, so we desire more difficult challenges in combat to the vast majority of tables and your monsters haven't let us down. We haven't dared to take on any monsters above CR 30 though. We are considering increasing party size and/or introducing a homebrew system to level up beyond 20th before we do that.

dave2008

Legend
Currently a part of a 20th level campaign as a playtest for two of my homebrew classes (the Spellblade class and the Force Missile Mage subclass of Wizard) and I have to say, these have been much more challenging and therefore appropriate to our level than the Tarrasque as written in the Monster Manual for example. Our 5-man party had to fight the Terrasque and Tiamat simultaneously to truly feel challenged before finding your thread. Of course, my group enjoys optimising down to the last minute detail, as a full party no less, so we desire more difficult challenges in combat to the vast majority of tables and your monsters haven't let us down. We haven't dared to take on any monsters above CR 30 though. We are considering increasing party size and/or introducing a homebrew system to level up beyond 20th before we do that.

Glad to hear it! And thank you for the feedback. We have some truly fearsome dragons (Wyrms and Great Wyrms) that will be posted soon too.

FYI, there are at least two systems on the DMs Guild for taking characters to level 30 (Epic Options is $2 and Epic Characters is $10). In addition, i have a very half baked Epic Characters thread: 5e Epic Character Updates Unfortunately the only thing I have up there so far are some ideas for revised and addition Epic Boons, a few epic spells and some notes on Epic Equipment. I hope go back to it after the first drafts of the Epic Monsters are complete.

if you have any suggestions, let me know.

EDIT: There is also a simple system for free on the Reddit Unearthed Arcana forum: https://www.reddit.com/r/UnearthedA.../epic_destinies_part_2_of_4_playtest_release/

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Soooo.... you've decided to keep the wyrms and great wyrms. Does that mean you will adjust Ashardalon to fit?

Most likely. Blacklight85 is working on the wyrms & great wyrms. If he wants to do Ash too, it will happen soon. If not, it will some time after I finish the Seelie/Unseelie Court

Remove ads