• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5e EPIC MONSTER UPDATES

Blacklight85

First Post
I have added the vermiurge to the Monstrosities section. I realize the vermiurge is traditionally an aberration; however, it just doesn't look or feel like an aberration to me. So I moved it to monstrosities.

Up next:

3) vermiurge
4) Moradin
5) beholder hive mother
6) The Lady of Pain
7) ha-nagga
8) Hutijin
9) Hadar
10) thorciasid

Next is Moradin, which is getting me excited a little. Nothing is more satisfying than a dwarf smashing something with its hammer thrice its size.

dave2008

Legend
I have added Moradin to the Greater Gods section. I'm not completely happy with this one as I feel a traditional stat block doesn't do justice to greater gods. I think when I get into the 2nd drafts and start adding portfolios that they will really begin to shine. That being said, this Moradin is one tough cookie!

Up Next:

4) Moradin
5) beholder hive mother
6) The Lady of Pain
7) ha-nagga
8) Hutijin
9) Hadar
10) thorciasid

synergy2

First Post
This is probably a stupid question, but how do you get the total AC values for the deities? Is it manual addition, or do you pick a number that feels right?

dave2008

Legend
This is probably a stupid question, but how do you get the total AC values for the deities? Is it manual addition, or do you pick a number that feels right?

For these first drafts it mostly what feels right. A couple times I have calculated it based on an idea of epic or divine armor, but I don't have that codified yet, so it is inconsistent. If the stat blocks says natural armor, it should be "what feels right," if it says nothing or lists the armor, then it was calculated. However, like I said I have not been consistent in my calculation method. That is something I will get corrected for my next drafts.

synergy2

First Post
For these first drafts it mostly what feels right. A couple times I have calculated it based on an idea of epic or divine armor, but I don't have that codified yet, so it is inconsistent. If the stat blocks says natural armor, it should be "what feels right," if it says nothing or lists the armor, then it was calculated. However, like I said I have not been consistent in my calculation method. That is something I will get corrected for my next drafts.

Alright, thanks for the info! I am keeping a close eye on both this and your epic character thread. Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Although I'd like to ask, do you calculate the stats by adding the Epic Bonus on top of everything? For example if you have a CR 40 deity with a +15 strength and +5 epic bonus, do you add the epic bonus to strength and then calculate hit chance and damage from there, or do you add the epic bonus to strength, and then to hit chance and damage separately as well?

dave2008

Legend
Alright, thanks for the info! I am keeping a close eye on both this and your epic character thread. Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Although I'd like to ask, do you calculate the stats by adding the Epic Bonus on top of everything? For example if you have a CR 40 deity with a +15 strength and +5 epic bonus, do you add the epic bonus to strength and then calculate hit chance and damage from there, or do you add the epic bonus to strength, and then to hit chance and damage separately as well?

Regarding Epic Bonus: You add it once, to the ability modifier. I realize now that I probably didn't word the well in the OP.

However, after I finish these drafts I am going to revamp the system a bit and the epic bonus is probably going away to be replaced with epic/divine ranks. The epic bonus was a method to separate epic monsters from regular monsters & PCs, but it is not very 5e and bounded accuracy. So I think I can solve both problems with divine ranks.

dave2008

Legend
Programming Note:

My plan with the current list was to complete the epic aberrations. However, after reviewing the list I just don't agree with 3e that all of these are aberrations. Thus, I will be moving the Ha-Naga and Thorciasid to the Monstrosities section. That only leaves the Hive Mother and Hadar. I am thinking of adding a beefed-up elder-brain. Any other suggestions for epic aberrations?

Up Next:

4) Moradin
5) beholder hive mother
6) The Lady of Pain
7) ?? - Elder Brain?
8) Hutijin
9) Hadar
10) ???
11) ha-naga
12) thorciasid

dave2008

Legend
Hey Dave, I was just wondering if you had any plans to make epic Bhaal as you have already got 2 of the dead three.

YourZombieCat is working on him (he did Myrkul). I will review and post it when he sends it to me. I don't currently have a timeline for that. But once it gets to me it takes 2 days to a week to: review, edit, send back comments, final draft, and then post. So nothing before next weekend I'm sure.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads