• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E (5e) Homebrew Barbarian subclass: Path of the Dervish

Jediking

Explorer
Looking for advice/checking over on this homebrew subclass. I want to allow a Dex Barbarian to work well, and wanted to stack this on the Barbarian subclass. I looked at adding under the Monk, but decided on Barbarian and will keep it there. Thought about trying to fit it into Fighter, but wanted Fast Movement and dodging and Barb already has in chassis.

Not looking to debate if Dexterity is overpowered as an ability score, as that has been discussed many times in other threads.
Just looking to balance these traits with existing Barbarian subclasses. The change to Rage will probably be handwaved at level 1 if a player is committed to this subclass, so nbd there.
Also I don't care if this steps on other classes' toes (Monk, Swashbuckler, etc). Just want one option for a Dex Barb to run around like a maniac and cut as many people as s/he can.
Typically my campaigns go to level 13ish, so the level 14 feature is in range of actually being used and it matters.
None of my campaigns/one-shots go past level 15, so anything past that doesn't matter.

Subclass goals:
-can use DEX and not STR. Not concerned about SAD for this class, can dump Strength if player wants
-be mobile and encourage multiple attacks, but still want one-handed weapon and shield to be viable
-can deflect/parry something at higher levels
-some sort of social/exploration bonus. Barbs don't have much to inspire from outside of Totem...

Barbarian Subclass: Path of the Dervish
You focus on speed and agility over brute strength. When you choose this subclass at level 3, your Rage feature changes to the following (this replaces your existing Rage feature):
While raging, you gain the following benefits if you aren't wearing heavy armor:
  • You have advantage on Dexterity checks and Dexterity saving throws.
  • When you make a melee weapon attack using Dexterity, you gain a +2 bonus to the damage roll. This bonus increases as you level.
  • You add your proficiency bonus to your AC
wanted to emphasise hard to hit (bonus to AC and dodging), rather than tough and gritty like resistance gives. Also allows some scaling with prof mod

Whirling Blades:
At 3rd level, while you are raging and aren’t wearing heavy armour, when you hit one or more creatures with more than one melee weapon attack using Dexterity, you may immediately move up to 10 ft without provoking opportunity attacks
--Encourages TWF and moving around. Inspired by Swashbuckler trait

Battle Dancer
At 6th level, you have learned to read the ebb and flow of battle. You gain proficiency in one of the following skills: Performance, Acrobatics, or Sleight of Hand.
Additionally, while you're raging and aren't wearing heavy armour, other creatures have disadvantage on opportunity attack rolls against you, and you can use the Dash or Dodge action as a bonus action on your turn.
--Skill was to offer some non-combat ability, which I notice Barb has a lack of outside of Totem subclass. Worried Dodge as a BA may be a bit too much, not too sure about this feature

Bladestorm
At 10th level, you learn to use your mastery of blades to deflect incoming attacks. When a creature within 5 ft of you is targeted by a weapon attack, you can use your reaction to try to parry or deflect the blow and give a penalty to the attack equal to your proficiency modifier. If this causes the attack to miss, you can immediately move up to 15 ft towards the attacking creature without provoking opportunity attacks.

Skirmisher
At 14th level, while you are raging and you make more than one melee weapon attack using Dexterity on your turn, you may immediately move up to 15 ft towards a hostile creature without provoking melee attacks and make one melee weapon attack using Dexterity.
--this seems boring, but not sure what the power level should be.

Appreciate any advice/help on this!

Last edited:

Remove ads