• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5E PHB on Amazon $30 Pre-Order

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
If I still had a decent local shop, I'd buy it there. I didn't even have one for 3.5e, and instead bought them locally from my Barnes & Noble. And now? We have ZERO new book stores left in the San Fernando Valley, having gone from about 8 to 0 in a matter of 6 years or so. So not only do we have no decent game stores in my region, but no decent book stores either.

And that's for a small portion of larger Los Angeles, and that small portion is so large it's population is larger than many states (2 million people in the San Fernando Valley, more than about 14-15 of the U.S. States).

JeffB

Legend
meh....

Frankly, while I appreciate the service aspect of small business' that provide a service, I do not need it for RPGs. Some of my other hobbies, yes, but not RPGs. RPGs do not require maintenance, nor do I need a salesman to walk me through features, or to consider warranty issues. If the only means I had to play was at a store, then I could see supporting it by paying full retail at these establishments for my gaming materials.

And while I am glad some people have great FLG Stores, 90% of the ones I have been in since the late 1970s, suck, big time. The employees are more interested in playing warhammer/magic/pokemon/reading comics and talking with their buddies than helping a customer out , or their main income is comix, anime, geek knick knacks (action figures, posters of Kaley Cuaco, replicas of Comic book character weapons, etc.) , and trading card games, which I have absolutely no use for. There maybe a couple of token D&D items from years past or even the D20 glut. One of the better stores I used to frequent fairly local had a couple of pets that ruled the roost and one pissed all over my son as an infant while I was holding him in his car carrier, and the place smells like wet dog/dog piss when ya walk in. I am not too sensitive to such smells for short time periods, but it is wretch inducing there. So I stopped going there about 10 years ago. I saw the other day where there another shop recently opened that I will check out, but it also seems centered on card games, so why should I feel a kindred spirit need to support these businesses "for the good of the hobby" ? I would not support any other business, whether a car dealer, grocery store, or pharmacy that was piss-poor. Nor would I expect anyone else too.

That said, there are some great shops out there- I enjoy going to The Citadel, in Groton, CT when I am in the region on vacay (just went there last month, bought some goodies) and back home in NOVA, The Game Parlor in Chantilly when I go to visit my family. I support them when I am there, because they are exceptions to the rule.

BurntToast

Explorer
You might as well pre-order anyways if you are planning on purchasing from Amazon... because any price increases will NOT affect your pre-order price but any price drops will. I went from $210 for everything (which included the 3 core books, the Starter Set, both adventures, and the DM screen) to about $180 now since prices had dropped after I had ordered. Even though they went back up in price slightly, that doesn't affect me but the price drops did. It's great. I support my FLGS in other ways. :p

Erekose

Eternal Champion
I've never had one at any point in my life.

I was going to just agree with this quote but then I remember back in the early 80s I used to go to Games Workshop in Sheffield, which was my "local" shop for RPG books. I didn't live in Sheffield so it wasn't that local ;)

But then of course GW decided to only sell GW products and that was that. Speaking of which I have noticed GW to still have quite a few shops in quite a few towns/cities. So if they did sell more than their own products that would be quite a good chain of shops in the UK ;)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I was going to just agree with this quote but then I remember back in the early 80s I used to go to Games Workshop in Sheffield, which was my "local" shop for RPG books. I didn't live in Sheffield so it wasn't that local ;)

But then of course GW decided to only sell GW products and that was that. Speaking of which I have noticed GW to still have quite a few shops in quite a few towns/cities. So if they did sell more than their own products that would be quite a good chain of shops in the UK ;)

When I visited London around 1985, Games Workshop's store there was so amazing to me I took a picture of my brother and I in front of the shop.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

Oh, yeah, there's a GW here in Southampton, but it only sells GW stuff.

Is GW the only company with its own b&m retail chain? WoTC used to have one. I don't think anybody else did.

PinkRose

Explorer
Guardian Games in Portland IS a Friendly Local Gaming Store.

That's where I'll be buying my Starter Set from.
$20 versus $13, but I want them to stay in business.

Hopefully, I'll get my PHB at GenCon, in a beautiful Swag Bag for volunteering for WotC.

And my DMG & MM will also come from Guardian Games, because I like them so much.

I really feel for those that don't have a Friendly or Local GS.

Shadimar

First Post
Yeah I prefer to support a Friendly Local Gaming Store,

But here in Australia majority of the FLGS have the following pricing structure, so I can see why showing loyalty would be hard for some

D&D Starter Set - $25
D&D PHB, MM, DMG - $60 each
D&D Tyranny of Dragons adventure modules - $35 each

Thankfully I've found one store that is offering a reasonable discount, if they didn't Amazon was going to be receiving my business even with postage costs included.

Remove ads