• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [5e] Witcher: Mother of Monsters

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=15132]Steve Gorak[/MENTION] Looks good! And look forward to reading your background. A few small changes I'd suggest:

Languages: it might be wise to swap one out for Dryad, since no one knows that language yet.

Background: both you and [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] have the Sage background, so if one of you would like to swap out the background feature "Researcher" for something else that would be fine by me. Or if you like the doubling up that's also fine.

I do like how you listed spells normally prepared!
[MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] some things I noticed omitted from your sheet: What's your Source Weaknesses? Which Metamagic options did you choose?

Also, how would you describe Elora's 20 Charisma? Is she otherworldly, have uncanny empathy, drop dead gorgeous, a truly selfless leader, something else? How do you see her extraordinary charisma affecting day to day life?

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Yeah, we've been extremely busy, I apologize for not getting that all done. We'll work on it over the next couple of days. Is that okay?

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
[MENTION=15132]Steve Gorak[/MENTION] Looks good! And look forward to reading your background. A few small changes I'd suggest:

Languages: it might be wise to swap one out for Dryad, since no one knows that language yet.

Background: both you and [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] have the Sage background, so if one of you would like to swap out the background feature "Researcher" for something else that would be fine by me. Or if you like the doubling up that's also fine.

I do like how you listed spells normally prepared!

Hi [MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION]!

I'm catching up on the in-character thread, and we can assume that Ethian was quietly cooking in the ranger's hut. He introduced himself (first name only), and listened as the ghost started talking.

To answer your question, I was envisioning Ethian as about 24 years old. Old enough to have traveled the lands and acquired some wisdom, but still young enough for him to find his true path. I'm fine with replacing a language, say Skellige, with Dryad. How common is Dryad and does their society differ from the typical Dryad from the MM (i.e. tied to a tree)? We can assume that he learned Dryad as a druid acolyte.

I'm also open to changing his background feature to the noble's "position of privilege", but I want to keep the sage's skills and languages. Here is what I propose as a history:
[sblock=history]
- Ethian was born to a noble family in the Northern Kingdom of XXXXXXXX.

- When he was a ten, his family's castle and lands were conquered by Nilfgaardian troops as they were marching north. His father was killed and his injured mother fled with him. She managed to live long enough to bring him to Elrond the Crow, a druid that later became his mentor. Ethian's parents, keeping with the family's traditions, were believers in the old ways, and had kept close ties with the druids.

- Elrond the Crow brought Ethian to the Circle of Tagha Bough in the Posada region, where he spent many happy years living among the druids, becoming an acolyte himself.

- This is when he was first contacted by his Elven great-great-great-great grandmother, Lady Thallasa. He had kept abreast of his family's history, and indeed, his noble human great-great-great-great grandfather had married an Elven noblewoman. Elven Bards still sing of the love between the two, since humans have forgotten the story, and the marriage was then heralded as the first Human-Elven alliance. The human husband died, and Lady Thallasa moved back to live with her people in Dol Blathanna as her own children and grand-children died.

- At first, he exchanged many letters with her, some being brought by crows, other by elven travelers. He met her in person when he was fourteen, when Lady Thalassa traveled to his druidic circle. He also visited her in Dol Blathanna on several occasions, and met with his elven kin.

- When he was eighteen, the Circle of Tagha Bough's was destroyed. He later learned thrhough his investigations that Nan the Hag, with the help of her two sisters, desecrated the his Tree of Life. His mentor, along with many druid companions died. The few that didn't fled to the wilderness, most becoming mad.

- Not knowing what to do, he traveled to Dol Blathanna. The elven homeland was no place for a young human to reside permanently, so Lady Thalassa arranged for him to study with the Conclave of Mages based in Ban Ard (Kaedwen). He perfected his understanding of arcane magics, of history and his family's legacy, while still studying the old druidic ways.

-He remained there until the age of 24, when he received a letter from Lady Thalassa asking for his help in accompanying Odvara Kringen to the elves of Dol Blathanna.[/sblock]

If the history is ok, I'll need the name of his ancestral region in the Northern Kingdom.

Should I assume that his Elk mount (from find steed) has the same stats as a warhorse?

I think I'm getting close, and hopefully, will be able to make a first post, when relevant, asap.
Cheers,

SG

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=15132]Steve Gorak[/MENTION] Your background looks great!

Dryads are much like you'd imagine them in D&D, though they are depicted as a bit more organized, excellent archers, and herbalists in the setting. "Dryad" language may also be spoken by other old nature spirits, so it's fairly close to the D&D Sylvan language.

Yes, assume his Elk uses Warhorse stats, that's fair and the actual Elk stats aren't too different.

Judging from Ethian's timeline, if his parent's holdings were conquered by Nilfgaard about 14 years ago, that would probably make him from one of these kingdoms:
  • northern Angren (once the seat of a powerful druid circle that fled south, so possibly druidic ties to community, closest to Dol Blathanna geographically)
  • Lower Sodden / Riverdell / the Slopes (birthplace of the Free Slopes anti-Nilfgaardian guerrillas)
  • Verden (a small kingdom bordering the dryad "kingdom" of Brokilon)
  • Brugge (a small kingdom once a vassal state of Temeria before Nilgaardian invasion)

Hope that covers everything!

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
[MENTION=15132]Steve Gorak[/MENTION] Your background looks great!

Dryads are much like you'd imagine them in D&D, though they are depicted as a bit more organized, excellent archers, and herbalists in the setting. "Dryad" language may also be spoken by other old nature spirits, so it's fairly close to the D&D Sylvan language.

Yes, assume his Elk uses Warhorse stats, that's fair and the actual Elk stats aren't too different.

Judging from Ethian's timeline, if his parent's holdings were conquered by Nilfgaard about 14 years ago, that would probably make him from one of these kingdoms:
  • northern Angren (once the seat of a powerful druid circle that fled south, so possibly druidic ties to community, closest to Dol Blathanna geographically)
  • Lower Sodden / Riverdell / the Slopes (birthplace of the Free Slopes anti-Nilfgaardian guerrillas)
  • Verden (a small kingdom bordering the dryad "kingdom" of Brokilon)
  • Brugge (a small kingdom once a vassal state of Temeria before Nilgaardian invasion)

Hope that covers everything!

Hey [MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION]!

Ok, he'll be from Northern Angren. I like the fact that there once was a druid circle; it's a nice tie-in for his family's closeness with the old ways. Here's the tweaked history:

[sblock=history]
- Ethian was born to a noble family in the Kingdom of Northern Angren, once the seat of a powerful druid circle that fled south.

- When he was a ten, his family's castle and lands were conquered by Nilfgaardian troops as they were marching north. His father was killed and his injured mother fled with him. She managed to live long enough to bring him to Elrond the Crow, a druid that later became his mentor. Ethian's parents, keeping with the family's traditions, were believers in the old ways, and had kept close ties with the druids.

- Elrond the Crow brought Ethian to the Circle of Tagha Bough in the Posada region, where he spent many happy years living among the druids, becoming an acolyte himself.

- This is when he was first contacted by his Elven great-great-great-great grandmother, Lady Thallasa. He had kept abreast of his family's history, and indeed, his noble human great-great-great-great grandfather had married an Elven noblewoman. Elven Bards still sing of the love between the two, since humans have forgotten the story, and the marriage was then heralded as the first Human-Elven alliance. The human husband died, and Lady Thallasa moved back to live with her people in Dol Blathanna as her own children and grand-children died.

- At first, he exchanged many letters with her, some being brought by crows, other by elven travelers. He met her in person when he was fourteen, when Lady Thalassa traveled to his druidic circle. He also visited her in Dol Blathanna on several occasions, and met with his elven kin.

- When he was eighteen, the Circle of Tagha Bough's was destroyed. He later learned thrhough his investigations that Nan the Hag, with the help of her two sisters, desecrated the his Tree of Life. His mentor, along with many druid companions died. The few that didn't fled to the wilderness, most becoming mad.

- Not knowing what to do, he traveled to Dol Blathanna. Lady Thalassa felt that a young human should be around other humans, so she arranged for him to study with the Conclave of Mages based in Ban Ard (Kaedwen). He perfected his understanding of arcane magics, of history and his family's legacy, while still studying the old druidic ways.

-He remained there until the age of 24, when he received a letter from Lady Thalassa asking for his help in accompanying Odvara Kringen to the elves of Dol Blathanna.[/sblock]

If ok with you, I'll have him start with a turtle shell breastplate as his extra starting gear. He got it from the Circle of Tagha Bough before the tree of life was destroyed.
With this, I'll be ready for the first post, yay ;-)
Cheers,

SG

Queenie

Queen of Everything
[MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] some things I noticed omitted from your sheet: What's your Source Weaknesses? Which Metamagic options did you choose?

Also, how would you describe Elora's 20 Charisma? Is she otherworldly, have uncanny empathy, drop dead gorgeous, a truly selfless leader, something else? How do you see her extraordinary charisma affecting day to day life?

BTW, Not ignoring you here, just trying to get [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] to sit down with me to go over it.

I think I've mentioned we had some court dates in California earlier this year... well, we "won," if that's a thing, and now Fenris's kids will be coming over the summers to stay with us. We've never had them this long a period of time, and we only found out they were coming a couple of weeks ago, so we've been busting ass to get the house and our lives ready for two more big kids. They are coming today - yay! - so there might be a slight decrease in posting (though we've already been posting less while trying to get ready) but we are here and definitely going to need this escapism!!

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=15132]Steve Gorak[/MENTION] Yes, that's a great background. Really impressed with the quality of ideas and role-playing from all the players! Something about ENWorld!
[MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] Wow, big life change! Good luck with the transition, and no worries if you can't post as regularly. It happens to the best of us :)

Shayuri

First Post
Most of us have been at this for awhile now. :)

But yeah, Enworld has a high caliber of players hanging around waiting to pounce on unwary games.

Remove ads