• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [5e] Witcher: Mother of Monsters

Axel

First Post
It's not bad damage either... Advantage to hit vs dangerous Demi humans and 1d8 damage per 5 levels?

Awesome sauce! The only danger is being exposed to deliver the attack... I saw a bronze dragon sorcerer use it as a stock attack in a game once. Very nice!

Axel

First Post
To answer the original question though...

Mending. Mending is too good to ignore if we have broken weapons and armour to deal with.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Okay, definitely Mending! And Pres. As for Shocking Grasp, which spell would you give up? I get 4 total.

Shay, I do try to not duplicate spells, especially when there is no wizard who has books full of them. It makes sense also not to have light, as Elora can at least see in low light conditions. I am finding 5th E has really offered less spells, less spell slots and really changed the parameters of the spells. I love spells but it's always my hardest thing to choose. Of course, the less spells is offset by the other cool things we get, it's a matter of me learning how to use the cool things and remembering I have them!

Also, I want to apologize in advance for my writing skills, they just don't measure up. You all write SO well, I feel like I'm writing a children's cook compared to your excellent novels lol :D

Axel

First Post
Spell selection for everyone except wizards is really hard in 5e... And it wasn't easy for sorcerers in Pathgrinder / 3.5 (I never really played 4e).

Based on my actual RL campaign experiences, the trick is to cut back on damage spells known. Pick low level spells that can be amped up well (like the dangerous thunder wave). Or Call Lightning. Or Shatter. Magic missile, not so much.

A ranged cantrip attack is also a must (your stock attack, like a fighter's sword). If you can spare the spell, one that attacks via saves (e.g. poison spray) is a good backup when you have disadvantage and they have hard cover. Otherwise, attack rolls seem better all the way!

Finding the right utility spells, and enough spells to memorise enough, is hard though. That's always been the key to playing a strong caster though. And, like always, it takes some "bedding down" in a new party. Especially with new classes!

I wouldn't worry about your writing. What I saw looks better than average. And that's probably too harsh a judgement. If it makes you feel better, I cringe internally every time I read my own prose. :)

Shayuri

First Post
Magic Missile is actually pretty good in 5e, since it scales up decently well for the first few levels. Just don't try it on an arcane spellcaster. It's very easily countered. :)

You're right that you don't need a lot of different attack spells in 5e though, I agree. Rather, it's wise to pick spells that fill a 'niche.' You're going to want at least one close-in spell, one single-target hard hitter, and one area attack, as fast as you can conveniently get it. They don't have to do damage...Hypnotic Pattern is a devastating area attack spell!

I tend to prefer attack roll cantrips over save cantrips, since saves versus cantrips normally negate all damage. There's more ways to boost an attack roll than there are ways to degrade a saving throw. That said, weak monsters typically have better AC than save bonuses, so an argument could be made the other way. :)

I agree though, Queenie, we should probably collaborate some OOC to avoid too much spell crossover. We're both sorcerors which means we'll never know a lot of spells individually. Between the two of us though, we can get some decent variety. As a rule of thumb, Talashia will have a lot of attack spells, and air-related utility and control spells.

Queenie, I enjoy your writing quite a bit. Everyone is their own worst critic, but be assured that I am not judging you harshly in silence. :)

Shayuri

First Post
Ugh...your own experiences with MM must be better than mine. I can't ever seem to roll higher than 2 on a d4...

Hah! Well, individual experiences do vary of course. :)

The mathematical average of 1d4+1 is 3.5 though, which is identical to a 1d6. So by pure math, it's a pretty good 1st level spell. Trades the area damage of burning hands for an auto-hit that does a damage type that most creatures have a hard time resisting (sans mages who can usually cast Shield).

But no amount of math trumps the viscera of bad experiences. I totally get that. I'm down on Scorching Ray for the same reason, even though by math it's the best damage-dealer at 2nd level.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
No worries! Join in when you can.

I posted a preliminary character sheet. Comments are welcome, and please let me know if I made a mistake somewhere. I still need to write the all important backstory, and finalize the equipment selection. Any recommendation for an uncommon magic item suited for a druid?
I'm hoping to make my first post in the in character thread by tomorrow at the latest.
Cheers,

SG

Remove ads