• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A idea for a change to YB. More info/new idea at end of thread

reiella

Explorer
Chat speed matches....

DraDra could fight 20 fights in 30 minutes fairly easily.

In fact, this situation would heavily favor those who bother for speed chat matches...

I have to say no here too, Wicht and Zappo etc hit my points, I have a flu, and quite honestly I don't see much reason to reinvent the wheel in this respect.

You suggested at least in chat about removing the mechanic for multi-rank wins, which would just simply dissuade the lower tiered fights from challenging up, sure the lose means nothing, but all they manage to do is waste their time.

If the fun is in the journey, then reducing the journey to simply be a straight line seems like it'd kinda shorten the journey and at least reduce some of the interesting fun of it.

Might just be because Meowth kinda gets quite literally nothing out of this, but I just don't like it.

Vanor

First Post
Sabaron said:
Those who have stayed through the yo-yo seem to find themselves quite powerful. Look at Darkwolf. :)

I don't support this system myself; if the yo-yo must be broken I'd prefer some other way... and I've been a victim of Tier loss before.

Granted, but there are serveral people who are either thinking of, or are quting YB due to the yo-yo. I can't blame them much, I'm one of them. If a game isn't fun, then why play it?

If however serveral people would quit playing due to this change, then perhaps it would be best if we didn't do it. The problem with the RPG anlaogies, is YB lacks something RPG's have... It's the only game in town. If I don't like how things are going in my D&D group, I always have the option of finding a different group to play with. With YB that isn't a option, it's either quit, or play in a situation I don't find fun.

Well I'm done with this for a bit I think... I'll keep checking it to answer questions and what not, but I've said my piece... I guess we'll wait til more people have had a chance to read this over and then call for a vote and see what the majorty wants. And see how much the change if any would effect those who don't like it. The last thing I want, is to see people quit playing due to a change like this... Especialy someone like Wicht who put so much work into YB2.0

reiella

Explorer
I do feel that some have yo-yo'd between tiers a bit (look at Kalanyr for example).

It may be worthwhile to consider adding another buffer rank across the board for that...

Wicht

Hero
heh - I didn't say I would quit, I just said the game would lose something for me. I got too much time and energy invested to just chuck everything cuz of one change i personally don't like. (Though I have been wondering about the possibility of a rotating GrandMaster judgeship)

I think, honestly, people don't quit the game because they don't advance. I think they quit the game because it becomes slightly monotonous and the lack of advancement is only a symptom of that. This is not a fault of the game per se just a limitation imposed by the medium. IMO the same problem would occur if there was no rank loss. The monotony would simply take a different form.

At the same time, the monotony is one of the appeals of the game. It is simple and relatively mindless, kind of like tetris (one of the most addicting games i have ever played) there is no real point to the game but you find yourself coming back to the same actions time and again. I quit playing tetris when I starting dreaming about falling blocks but it was hard. I find the same addictivness inherint in YB but it takes a different shape and requires no falling blocks. Personally I have stuck with it in part because of this but also because I am at heart a rules-tinkerer and I got to tinker with rules. I have been dragging my mind to figure out a way to turn YB into a play at home game but without a firm way to judge the superiority of the moves I have not been able to do it (the subjectiveness is a bit of a problem too.)

Personally I find YBA to have more of a point and stick around as much for that as for YB. I do not know why others stick with YB but anyway all this is to say that though I will probably move on at some point in the future to other things (and I figure we all will) I am making no immediate plans to do so.

And Vanor when you conduct the poll including the following options if you would

-strongly favor eliminating rank loss (will quit if we don't)
-favor eliminating rank loss (but won't quit if we don't )
-could care less
-favor keeping rank loss (but won't quit if we don't keep it)
-strongly favor keeping rank loss (and will quit if we don't keep it)

Vanor

First Post
Wicht said:
And Vanor when you conduct the poll including the following options if you would

-strongly favor eliminating rank loss (will quit if we don't)
-favor eliminating rank loss (but won't quit if we don't )
-could care less
-favor keeping rank loss (but won't quit if we don't keep it)
-strongly favor keeping rank loss (and will quit if we don't keep it)

Ok I'll set it up that way when I post the poll... But I wasn't planing on doing that til like sunday or monday.

edit: Hmm something I thought about, with the poll set up this way, perhaps it might be wise to weight the two "will quit" votes slightly higher then the "won't quit" ones, thoughts?

Last edited:

MidKnight

First Post
Vanor said:

Would you quit playing YB tottaly if this change was made?

Nothing personal against ANYONE involved in this but...

Without going into detail about this (I believe most of my points and gripes have been touched on..) - I WOULD quit. There is absolutely no way I would ever support such an idea.

I have to agree with Rei about the straight line journey - where would you see anymore RPing possibility in this? I would think it would get incredibly boring...

And also with Sabaron - loss in ANY game usually means that you suffer somekind of setback.

nuff said...

Vanor

First Post
MidKnight said:
I have to agree with Rei about the straight line journey - where would you see anymore RPing possibility in this? I would think it would get incredibly boring...

And also with Sabaron - loss in ANY game usually means that you suffer somekind of setback.

Well naturaly everyone is going to have a slightly different point of view on this. Myself I think not suffering from a loss would make people more free to RP, because then you wouldn't have to worry about a loss destroying what you had in mind for your character.

To some, this is part of the fun... Not knowing exactly where you'll end up, for others the fun is getting to where they want to be.

I'd hate to see you leave if this did happen, and the fact that someone would quit over this makes me wonder if it's such a good idea. But people are already quitting because they have lost what they've worked on. I know that as things currently stand, I won't be fighting again, I would rather stop fighting, then lose my dojo again.

edit: I said this before, but considering the lenth of this thread it's possable people have missed it.

It would be tottaly possable for people who would find the idea of not being able to lose, unbearable, to play with a loss costing you ranks still.

You could set it as a stipulation in your fight, that the loser would drop in ranks.

Last edited:

MidKnight

First Post
I understand your point Vanor.

Losing your dojo would bite. But that's one of the reasons why the honor path has soooo many buffer ranks. It would be VERY unlikely that anyone would lose that many fights in a row. I did say unlikely not immpossible - it could happen. But then you must look at your opponents? Are you fighting immpossible fights?

And I suppose that some people would be free to RP a little more - but others (myself included) enjoy the challenge of having to be flexible with our IC stuff...

Vanor

First Post
I did, in YB1... That's why I'm giving up fighting for now. Losing my dojo again, is more then I could deal with. I'd rather not fight at all, then risk losing my dojo again.

In YB 1, I got to green 0, then lost 4 fights in a row, and none of the people I fought were higher ranked then me.

I understand the enjoyment of not knowing what will happen. I would agree with that a lot more, if I had more control over where I'd end up at. But as it stands now, YB is 90% luck. I have as much chance at lossing my next 4 fights as I do winning them.

Could you respond to what I added in my post?

MidKnight

First Post
Sorry... Missed the part you added.

That solution could be plausible - but so could be the reverse of it.

A small change to the rules would allow you to set stips that the losing fighter would not lose rank.

And as far as it is concerned, I don't think I like the idea yet - even this way. There are player's out there who could, in a matter of less than a week, hit the 7th tier. How would you suggest balancing out these "power-players" against those of us who accept losses as part of the game? I really don't think it would be fair to the non-power players.

edit - as far as YB being 90% luck... This is true for the Honored path and probably the Yakuza, but the rest of the paths are a little less luck dependant. They don't need the generator to spit out specific styles/locations to be effective in battle...

also - In regards to the 50/50 chance of winning a fight... That's why you only need 1 victory to wipe away all dishonor to your personal record. The odds favor you in this manner.

Last edited:

Remove ads