• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A LoTR Inspired Fantasy Movie Renaissance - What Happened?

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Assenpfeffer said:
Barsoomcore, I was with you right up to the last sentence...
Yeah, yeah, I'm the lonely Courtney Solomon booster. Gotten used to my role.

I liked the movie because it perfectly reminded me of the sort of games we ran when I was a teenager where nothing made a lot of sense, total strangers just sort of looked at each other and said, "Okay, we'll go off into unknown dangers together, why not?" and it was pretty lame but we were just having too much fun to care.

Yay.

Kesh

First Post
Ranger REG said:
and Tracy Hickman should get off their six and start documenting appendix notes, although they may not be as well-detailed and semi-organized as Tolkien. You see, the motivation for Tolkien is that he truly wants to create a mythology for England, so he goes into the project trying to build a sense of history into the Middle-Earth myth, despite the fact that he is a poor story writer.

So, I'm hoping that Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman start writing about the languages of the Qualinesti and the Silvanesti, as well as the Draconic Speech used by the corrupt Draconians as well as the noble metallic dragons. Perhaps they could try and collect the other author's works contributing to the Dragonlance lore and make them fit together.

Sorry, but you might want to pick up a copy of "The Annotated Chronicles" and "The Annotated Legends" at your local library sometime. They come right out and say, "Yeah, we were just making it up as we went along. Sure, Solamnic is based on Latin, and we've thrown some Indonesian sounds into (language x), but we were mostly trying to make it look good." (Paraphrased, of course. :cool: )

That being said, I agree that a DL trilogy (or double-trilogy, to include Legends) would rock. The history is as extensive, if not moreso, than that of Middle Earth. And now we've got the FX technology to do it right. Though I pity the person who has to play Raistlin with those hourglass contact lenses. ;)

My biggest concern, though, is the religious connotations brought up in some places. If the churches railed on Tolkien, they'd go absolutely frothing at the mouth over some of the things brought up in Dragonlance. Especially the scene where
Tanis bows down to worship Tahkisis, because she is, after all, a god.
Or, the
entire premise behind the Cataclysm and the Kingpriest
. The latter is actually a very good point, and really makes some arguments people should consider... but a lot of churches will just scream "magic BAD! Work of the Devil!" and create a general fuss about such a film.

Mercule

Adventurer
barsoomcore said:
Courtney Solomon owns the rights to Dungeons and Dragons
Still?!?! Quick, we must wrest it away from him. Man, back when people were trying to spend all of Russ' money for the boards, someone could have thrown this out and it might have flown. :D

Edit: grammar

Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
Makes me glad I'm a moderate-to-lapse Catholic.

Many religious groups railed on almost everything that does not conform to their narrow views, from Harry Potter to Xena. It would have been a lot better to have a discussion about it, rather than the clergy get to make a ruling and the laypeople must obey it unconditionally, without question nor objection.

Trust me when I say, questioning your religious leader is not a sin to the Man Upstair.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
If *I* owned the movie rights to "Dungeons and Dragons", it'd take a lot more than $16,000 to pry it loose from me.

I mean, heck, he's managed to use it to gain millions -- TWICE! -- in order to make pictures.

Good for him.

CCamfield

First Post
Endur said:
<snip>
With regards to Tolkien, remember that before Tolkien, fantasy consisted of Cthulu, Doc Savage, Tarzan, and Conan.

Aside from the fact that I'd argue Conan is the only one of those characters who could really be considered fantasy, this ignores authors like Lord Dunsany (The King of Elfland's Daughter), E. R. Eddison (The Worm Ouroboros), William Hope Hodgson, and others.

Which isn't to say that Tolkien wasn't the author on whom modern fantasy is based, but there was a little more going on before him than that. The King of Elfland's Daughter and The Worm Ouroboros are, in my opinion, fantastic books. (No pun intended.)

Mog Elffoe

Explorer
Personally, I'm super excited about Peter Jackson's NEXT project--the one that he REALLY passionate about--a remake of the the original 1933 King Kong. Imagine the scenes with the tyrannosaurus rex in Jurassic Park and how awesome it looked--now imagine the t-rex being just as awesome or maybe even moreso, and then getting its ass handed to it by a giant ape! It's gonna be great! Naomi Watts has already signed on for the Fay Wray part and I read that Jackson received something like $20 million himself to write and direct it. I've seen pictures of some of the maquettes and production designs that Weta did for this way back before Jackson was forced to move on other projects and eventually to LotR and they were absolutely AMAZING.

Ranger REG

Explorer
I dunno. I've already seen two versions of King Kong.

BTW, rumor has it that New Line Cinema is mulling over the Hobbit film and Peter Jackson is interested but only after he is done with King Kong, a project that he is already committed.

jaldaen

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Makes me glad I'm a moderate-to-lapse Catholic.

Many religious groups railed on almost everything that does not conform to their narrow views, from Harry Potter to Xena. It would have been a lot better to have a discussion about it, rather than the clergy get to make a ruling and the laypeople must obey it unconditionally, without question nor objection.

Trust me when I say, questioning your religious leader is not a sin to the Man Upstair.

Actually the Catholic Church came out and said that Harry Potter was a good series of books... in fact here's an article about it online:

http://film.guardian.co.uk/harrypotter/news/0,10608,888674,00.html

I don't know about Xena, but the Catholic Church hardly ever comes out against a particular book or movie unless it is obviously blasphemous. I just wanted to clear that up so that people understand that the Catholic church does not typically rail against books, movies, and TV series... or at least not from my research into this question.

My 2 cents,
Jaldaen

Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
To which I still reinforce my earlier statement.

P.S. I know, I know. I have to find a way to reconnect with my church other than just attending holiday mass services.

Last edited:

Remove ads