• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Master Spy NPC

Gray Lensman

Explorer
Since it is an NPC I can just do it arbitrarily but I am trying to practice at the same time.
[MENTION=98256]kitcik[/MENTION]: What Minimums?

and someone please tell me the spoiler tags for this board.

Last edited:

kitcik

Adventurer
Since it is an NPC I can just do it arbitrarily but I am trying to practice at the same time.
@kitcik : What Minimums?

and someone please tell me the spoiler tags for this board.

1) I was referring to PH page 8:

REROLLING: If your scores are too low, you may scrap them and roll all six scores again. Your scores are considered too low if the sum of your modifiers (before adjustments because of race) is 0 or lower, or if your highest score is 13 or lower.

Although in re-reading it you don't QUITE qualify, I would still re-roll.

2) sblock

Thanael

Explorer

REROLLING: If your scores are too low, you may scrap them and roll all six scores again. Your scores are considered too low if the sum of your modifiers (before adjustments because of race) is 0 or lower, or if your highest score is 13 or lower.

Indeed, he has a 14. (Rolled 14, 13, 12, 11, 11, 10, worth 23 points in point buy)

Alternatively as this is an NPC how about using the elite array: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8. (25 points in point buy)

As 1st level Bard (ECL 5) he gets 1d6 Hit Die, 9 Skill Points and no feats, BAB+0, Fort +0, Ref +2 and Will +2

BAB +4. Fort +1, Ref +6 and Will +6
Hit Points: 29 (7,7,4,3,3) +5 CON Bonus
Feats: Able Learner and Skill Focus (Bluff)
Racial Skills: Bluff 8, Disguise 8, Sense Motive 7, Listen 7, Spot 7
Class Skills: Spellcraft 4, Concentration 5

Still Can't Qualify for Spymaster or Mind Spy so it's off To Chameleon land we go.

Well you could have qualified for Spymaster here if you put put your skill ranks differently:

Racial Skills: Bluff +8, Diplomacy +4, Disguise+8, Intimidate +5, Listen +4, Sense Motive +4, Spot +4.
Class Skills: Forgery +4 , Gather Information +4, any other + 1

In the end the question is which path you want him to follow when. Though it is of course very prudent to spend the bard skill points on spellcraft and concentration, if you're set about going for mindspy and chameleon.

Check out the Alternate Class features for Bard. Loresong, Mimicking Song and Spellbreaker Song all could be interesting. Bardic Knack is great for a spytype, though with only one level in bard it's rather obsolete (it could be replaced by the Jack of All Trades feat.). Bardic Sage could also be interesting, reducing MAD and granting additional spells.

Have you decided on an alignment yet? Note the bardic alignment restriction of being nonlawful.

Last edited:

Gray Lensman

Explorer

2) sblock

[MENTION=98256]kitcik[/MENTION]: Thanks, now I don't have to bore everyone with huge blocks of text.

Indeed, he has a 14. (Rolled 14, 13, 12, 11, 11, 10, worth 23 points in point buy)

Alternatively as this is an NPC how about using the elite array: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8. (25 points in point buy)

I didn't even consider that (we don't use point buy, we use 4d6 Drop low X 7 drop low arrange to suit) and has I said these are all NPCs so I really can do whatever. I just am still figuring out 3.5 (comes from playing 1e, 2e and BECMI and Traveller for years and finding a box full of 3.5 books at the flea market for twenty bucks)

Well you could have qualified for Spymaster here if you put put your skill ranks differently:

Racial Skills: Bluff +8, Diplomacy +4, Disguise+8, Intimidate +5, Listen +4, Sense Motive +4, Spot +4.
Class Skills: Forgery +4 , Gather Information +4, any other + 1

In the end the question is which path you want him to follow when. Though it is of course very prudent to spend the bard skill points on spellcraft and concentration, if you're set about going for mindspy and chameleon.

Actually, I did miss that (read about me wanting practice?) and yes, thats why I went with bard instead of rogue (plus the fact that chameleon allows me to simulate a rogue but not a bard and by taking bard now I can).

Check out the Alternate Class features for Bard. Loresong, Mimicking Song and Spellbreaker Song all could be interesting. Bardic Knack is great for a spytype, though with only one level in bard it's rather obsolete (it could be replaced by the Jack of All Trades feat.). Bardic Sage could also be interesting, reducing MAD and granting additional spells.

Have you decided on an alignment yet? Note the bardic alignment restriction of being nonlawful.

Perhaps, I will have to check them out, and the Alignment is strictly Neutral. My Lord, I work for ever pays the most and don't you forget it! :devil:

For an interesting look at a changeling chameleon spy, read James Wyatts Draconic Prophecies trilogy.

I will have to see if the Library as those.

kitcik

Adventurer

I look at it this way though.

If you had six 13's you could reroll under the PH rules. That's a 30 point buy. Anything less than that... option to re-roll.

Gray Lensman

Explorer
I look at it this way though.

If you had six 13's you could reroll under the PH rules. That's a 30 point buy. Anything less than that... option to re-roll.

Allright already, I will reroll it ONCE. make me work harder why don't you ;);)

Okay, that gives me a 17, 16, 14, 14, 11, 9 (this time I rerolled 1s, My die roller don't let me do that) and threw away a nine.

Since @kitcik : says Int>Cha>Con>Dex>Str>Wis that is what I will do

INT 17+2=19 (+4)
CHA 16+2=18 (+4)
CON 14+2=16 (+3)
DEX 14+2=16 (+3)
STR 11+2=13 (+1)
WIS 09+4=13 (+1)

Well, that will help a bit with skills and bonus Arcane spells and yes, it will help with the skills I need too.
Heck it even helps with HP and AC (and yes I noticed that on one roll I forget to check the box to reroll ones but thats okay)

(sigh...Back to work) ;)

Last edited:

Gray Lensman

Explorer
Your fun has now received the @kitcik stamp of approval.

Carry on.

One thing I didn't do was put the Ability Modifiers to the skills (who me, I don't need any practice, just a kick in the head). Now this is what I get:

Ok, Lets Build the Character Sanstilikus
Male Doppleganger Bard 1/Chameleon 10/Mind Spy 5/Masterspy 7

STR 11+2=13(+1)
DEX 14+2=16(+3)
CON 14+2=16(+3)
INT 17+2=19(+4)
WIS 09+4=13(+1)
CHA 16+2=18(+4)

Has a Doppleganger He gets 42 skill points, 2 feats, 4d8 Hit Dice, BAB +4. Fort +1, Ref +4 and Will +4
BAB +4. Fort +1, Ref +4 and Will +4
Hit Points: 33 (7,7,4,3) +12 CON bonus
Feats: Able Learner and Skill Focus (Bluff)
Racial Skills: Bluff 11 (7+4 CHA), Disguise 11 (7+4 CHA), Sense Motive 8 (7+1 WIS), Listen 7, Spot 7, Spellcraft (1+4 INT=5)

Does this really mean I don't even have to take a Bard or Rogue level and go straight to Chameleon???

ARRRGH!!!

kitcik

Adventurer
He kicks booty now!

Unfortunately, ranks means ranks (not adjusted for attributes), so you still need to get to 8 ranks, which means 5 HD / levels (so I think you need to take 1 bard or rogue, although I am not a doppleganger expert).

This should really be a fun NPC. Would be cool if he went into "deep cover" and befriended the PCs for a couple of months before taking his opportunity to...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads