• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Master Spy NPC

Gray Lensman

Explorer
He kicks booty now!

Yeah, not only did I get better rolls this time, but you were right on with your suggested placements. Thanx

Unfortunately, ranks means ranks (not adjusted for attributes), so you still need to get to 8 ranks, which means 5 HD / levels (so I think you need to take 1 bard or rogue, although I am not a doppleganger expert)

DARN! oh well, I needed at least 1 level of bard anyway so he could pretend that too. Basically every other class is provided for, especially after enough Chameleon levels to fake two things at a time.

This should really be a fun NPC. Would be cool if he went into "deep cover" and befriended the PCs for a couple of months before taking his opportunity to...

Actually, he is supposed to hire the PCs from time to time, however, him befriending the PCs and going on a run or two with them to "evaluate" thier skills before hiring them does sound like a good idea. thanx again!

Do you think the Mind Spy levels are with it to improve his natural detect thoughts ability (the real reason I went with doppleganger)?

Last edited:

Thanael

Explorer
If you're only starting with 3E why not make it a bit simpler and at least stay pre-epic. Lvl20 is hard enough to handle...

If this is going to be a recurring NPC and a doppleganger, I highly recommend reading through the free Van Richten Society's Field Guide to Doppelgangers netbook, that i linked to upthread for the information on doppelganger society, psychology and ecology. And of course for the GM advice on running doppelgangers in campaigns.

There's also a D20 book called Slayer's Guide to Doppelgangers, by Eberron Creator Keith Baker, but it has a bit of a different take on Doppelgangers...

Last edited:

Gray Lensman

Explorer
I can roleplay the character easy enough. I am co-dming sort of (she runs everything and is creating a fresh world as she goes). I am creating/running the NPCs while I figure this out. Played ODD, 1e, 2e as well but mostly Traveller (my personal fav) and BECMI for a loooong time.

I just need the occasional (every day) 2x4 upside the head. After all, this is WAAY more complicated than BECMI or Traveller.

kitcik

Adventurer
Do you think the Mind Spy levels are with it to improve his natural detect thoughts ability (the real reason I went with doppleganger)?

"Worth it" has a different connotation (sp?) with an NPC. No party to keep up with, can have CR adjusted to match needs (hey, he adventured on the side and gained a level), etc. So, if you think this ability ups the RP / fun potential, then go for it!

Gray Lensman

Explorer
"Worth it" has a different connotation (sp?) with an NPC. No party to keep up with, can have CR adjusted to match needs (hey, he adventured on the side and gained a level), etc. So, if you think this ability ups the RP / fun potential, then go for it!

Oh, I think it's safe to say I will have to sit with the group and play this one out for a few sessions. Of course they won't know that I am what I am until I quit and flip him to NPC status :devil:

They actually need an extra fighter right now. In the world we are working up Dueling is a big deal amongst the nobility. So, I can play up being a Duelist for a session or two, then show up later as a hmm.. Wizard and then tell them the truth, that I was along just to check them out... Now, do ya wanna make some money?

I love it ... and it's all your fault ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads