• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Merc's Life: Howl of the Carrion King [03]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
OOC: The group is on the western side of the river right?

OOC: Correct, but in the interest of moving things along I'm gonna hand wave you getting across the river and up to the area of the building. I'm going to place you in the mill where you killed the Peryton and let you take it from there.

You head out of the monastery and cut across the southeast corner of the Pesh field, all senses alert, but you see nothing untoward. You cross the river well south of Kelmarane and make your way up the alluvial strip between the river and the shrine to Nethys (where you captured Almah's Uncle Haidar). The old mill where you killed the Peryton and the Schirr Demon and drove off the Gnoll patrol still stands empty.

As you approach your goal, the mountain breeze shifts and swirls playfully. When it's from the north, it carries an acrid stench from the building. There are notes of uric acid reminding you of a tannery, but there's more as well - smells none of you can quite identify.

The building's windows are boarded up. The only entrance you can see is in the wall facing your position in the mill.

Last edited:

mleibrock

First Post
"Agreed. Can I borrow a dagger?" Once someone loans him a dagger, Tsadok moves from the mill and quietly approaches the building. He moves to a boarded up window and neatly slips the dagger's balde into the crack where the window frame meets the board so as to pry it away just enough to have a look inside.

1d20+3=18 - dex check

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Tsadok carefully peels away one of the boards obscuring the view of the interior of the building; once he can see a little of the inside the source of the stench becomes quickly apparent. There are several large kettles resting on shallow pits of banked coals around the room, as well as a host of ceramic and glass containers on shelves about the place. The interior looks to be one large open area, and he cannot see to the ceiling of the room (from the outside the building appears to be two stories). He sees no living creatures inside.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[sblock=OOC "Ready Action"]While I did not originally appreciate their viewpoint, after a few lengthy discussions with other GMs I've come to a new understanding of this tactic. Readying an Action is itself a Standard Action, and thus cannot be taken outside of initiative . . . allowing such not only "cheats" the initiative system, it leads to a situation of everyone (good guys and bad) readying actions for the first appearance of a foe, and then rolling initiative to see whose readied action goes of first :D.[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
[sblock=readied action]
so I have to wait until the situation has called for initiative? sheesh.[/sblock]

Remove ads