D&D General A thread about Rope

PUN INTENDED! Rope is a thing you can get in D&D but we never talk about it so let's fix that.

What do you all think about rope?
How much do you normally get?
Tell me about the time your character used rope!
What is your preferred knot?
Should there be lassoing rules?
Have you ever roped a dope??

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
What do you all think about rope?
ROPE RULEZ!!!! YEAH!! :D

How much do you normally get?
Minimum 10 feet (for Rope Trick), and up to 100 feet (for strong PCs who can carry the extra weight). But the standard 50 feet works for most cases.

Tell me about the time your character used rope!
Boy, all the time. Rope for helping in climbing, rope for tying up captives, rope for making traps, rope to hold up my pants. ;)

It is really so useful.

What is your preferred knot?
Depends on the use of the rope. But the best knot is one that my PC can undo when he is done with it. It is frustrating when my PC makes a knot and he can't undo it later on. :(

Should there be lassoing rules?
Why bother? In 5E, you always just make up your own rules anyway. :)

Have you ever roped a dope??
Sure have! My monks do it all the time. :D

aco175

Legend
1671378988539.png

Mostly just 50ft. Use it once in a while at lower levels when we want to get the whole party up the wall and not think everyone can make an Athletics check. We also have silk rope which is lighter and thinner. One time we had drow spider silk which was like Luke Skywalker swinging the princess in the Death Star. Mostly is does not come up.

Shiroiken

Legend
Generally prefer 100 ft of rope, that way you can cut of smaller pieces if you need to. A player used rope to slide down a 50 ft tall statue just last session. All my knots turn into granny knots. The players "rope" me all the time, so...

Hex08

Hero
I had a D&D player who loved using rope. He was always getting the group to tie themselves together to avoid getting lost, slipping off a cliff, etc. It didn't always work out the way he envisioned.

Remove ads