• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General A thread about Rope

50 Shades of Rope:
Silk is for the romantics
Sisal is for the masochists
Hemp is for the sailors (who all have water on their brains)
Cotton is for the careful
Nylon is for the unknowing

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I have always wondered about D&D rope, why 50' and why is it so damn heavy. I would expect to get a couple of hundred feet of rope to weigh in at 10lbs or so.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I was just watching Donny Yen using a short length of rope to tying an opponent mid battle (martial arts), I’d love to have rules for that, beyond just grapple.

I tend to list 50ft rope as standard gear, but sometimes 100 and use it for climbing, binding and carrying. i like lasoo as a ranged grapple and kusari-gama style

Last edited:

jgsugden

Legend
Rope - it is never to be underestimated. When I was first starting out in D&D, my only option to play was with my older brother and his friends. And they were pretty much all jerks to the 'little kid' playing with them. I played a thief (AD&D) and they made me climb up a huge cliff to spy on some enemies before the rest of the party followed. I made the climb and then lowered the rope (note - AD&D climb walls chance for a low level rogue was real low - I should have died, but beat the odds). As they climbed the rope and neared the top - my thief cut the cord. They all fell and died. The DM found it hilarious and let it stand. My little thief climbed down (the long way) retrieved their magic items, and retired.

The rest of the group did not find it as funny as the DM and I did. My brother took it out on me. But it is still a great moment of vengeance for me - and a reason all of my PCs always carry around 2 units of rope.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
Not much to add, but if people are interested in the use of rope in D&D and expanding on what's in the rules, Fat Goblin Games put out Call to Arms: Ropes, which is an exhaustive treatment of the subject! Though, not as useful, I thought, as Call to Arms: Ten Foot Poles...

Remove ads