• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A world in darkness OOC

Ghostknight

First Post
Thanee said:
Is everything there underground (kinda like Underdark)?

I have this impression, but couldn't find any real confirmation yet, except for the mentioning of a series of caverns, where that city is located. :)

Bye
Thanee

The starting city is under the remains of a destroyed city and is connected via caverns to the underdark. Surface cities either are controlled by the devils or are destroyed.

Some other communities exist (as in the dimensional pocket city of the lost) but currently that is as far as the characters know. Some free people do live on the surface- but hide themselves and live in constant fear of being found. Hey- what can I say- if you don't have your travel permit in triplicate with your attached number and assigned vocation identifier you are in bog trouble! (Just wait till my boss gets here, to report you to his boos, so you cen be sent to the regional office to be delat with by his boss....)

Thanee

First Post
Ok.

So a druid could live on the surface, hiding from the devils in a remote corner (deep forest or somesuch), trying to preserve nature as much as possible, sometimes even going down into the caverns to explore them for a while (this way a meeting with the group could probably be done then)?

If that would work, I'm thinking a human druid (NG of course) probably with Augment Summoning and Spontaneous Healer (seems appropriate to the druids from what I have seen here so far). Skilled in Knowledge: nature and dungeoneering, Survival, Handle Animal, Hide, Move Silently, Heal, Listen and Spot (well, as far as skillpoints allow at least ;)).

As animal companion, probably some wild dog (stats as riding dog).

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
Druids do not happen to have Knowledge: religion as a class skill, or do they? ;)

(Spontaneous Healer needs 4 ranks there, IIRC. :))

Bye
Thanee

Ghostknight

First Post
Thanee said:
Druids do not happen to have Knowledge: religion as a class skill, or do they? ;)

(Spontaneous Healer needs 4 ranks there, IIRC. :))

Bye
Thanee

Well, way back at the beginning someone else mooted the idea of a druid with spontaneous healing instead of summonings- so I cam up with this

Druids of Demir
This order of druids venerates the neutral good aspect of the Earth deity (all druids of Demir MUST be neutral good).

They believe in the preservation of the earth. maintaining it in a pristine condition and keeping it pure. Because of this belief in the ultimate purity of the earth they believe that it is best for people to die from natural causes only and thus in healing wounds obtained from violence and torture. For this reason Demir has allowed them to spontaneously cast cure spells as a cleric rather than summon natures ally as druid.

The group is divided into two factions, those who believe in protecting the earth and its fruits (plants and animals), and those who believe in keeping it pure (travel extensively, fighting taint and healing wounds), the majority of adventuring druids of this order come from the second group.

Druids of Demir have acces to the Earth, Good, Sun and healing domains.

If you are going the Spontaneous Healing route and Summoning route- then a few skill points ain't too much to sacrifice for the increased versatility (both healing AND summoning spells swappable!)

As for meeting up with the rest- no problems there- they're currenlty travelling along the surface (and I'm devious enough to come up with a good back story for this- not that I guarantee the players will necessarily thank me for it!)

(I tell you, us DMs just don't get no respect!)

Zerth

First Post
Ghostknight said:
(I tell you, us DMs just don't get no respect!)
Respect is so overrated. Just make sure your players fear you! :p

Devil Princes get the message through... *wink, wink* :lol:

Thanee

First Post
Ghostknight said:
If you are going the Spontaneous Healing route and Summoning route- then a few skill points ain't too much to sacrifice for the increased versatility (both healing AND summoning spells swappable!)

I've got no problem to dump 8 skill points into this. The only real problem I have is, that 4 ranks aren't possible yet. ;)

And backgroundwise it might make sense, if - as I understood it - druids are more of the religious kind, but ok, I can just find another feat instead, maybe Track then, putting all those Survival ranks to good use. :)

Bye
Thanee

Ghostknight

First Post
Thanee said:
I've got no problem to dump 8 skill points into this. The only real problem I have is, that 4 ranks aren't possible yet. ;)

And backgroundwise it might make sense, if - as I understood it - druids are more of the religious kind, but ok, I can just find another feat instead, maybe Track then, putting all those Survival ranks to good use. :)

Bye
Thanee

My take on druids not having formal religious training is that they tend to have a very narrow view of religion. They are more the "intuitive" religious figure that has a bond with nature, drawing power from that bond, rather than the cleric that has a formal realtionship with a deity (I intenslydislike the idea of the non-deity specific cleric in the PHB). For them the formality of the religion means study and thus the knowledge (religion) skill.

Thanee

First Post
Fair enough. :)

Some more questions coming up...

What is that with the domains? Does it mean druids can prepare spells from those domains with their normal slots (kinda like dragons)? Do they have domain slots like clerics?

Is that only for those special druids with the healing abilities, how about the "normal" druids?

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
Uhm... is there anything speaking against using that spontaneous cure spell casting variant and then picking up spontaneous summoner (I suppose the requirements for that one should be easier to fulfill for a druid (don't have the books here))? :p

Bye
Thanee

Ghostknight

First Post
Thanee said:
Uhm... is there anything speaking against using that spontaneous cure spell casting variant and then picking up spontaneous summoner (I suppose the requirements for that one should be easier to fulfill for a druid (don't have the books here))? :p

Bye
Thanee

What book would that be in anyway? A spontaneous summoning variant a cleric could get to would be scary - the things summonable via Summon Monster are a lot more useful than those via Summon Nature's ally.

As for the other question- I was using the domains more to point to an ethos than any specific game mechanic (and yep, you could be a cleric of Deneir instead and then the domains are relevant...)

(and I don;t want to have to adimit I made a mistake in poutting them there ... ;) )

Remove ads