• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Acquana's Art Thread -- Closed, New Thread Started

Lady_Acoma

First Post
Yeah I have to agree I love the smooth, clean quality to your ink jobs. As someone who primarily uses pencils or paint what are your recommendations on products to use for inking as I have never much bothered with it at all, but I have some ideas bopping around in my head that I think would benefit much more from inking then just my usual? Wow, run on sentence much... :confused:

Acquana

First Post
Hey, all them art schoolin lead to a couple of things.

Inking is actually what I enjoy doing the most. Penciling pages is a pain to me, but I can ink all day long with narry a care.

Tips on those interested in trying it: Screw pens. Learning to use a brush is one of the most rewarding things about inking. It allows for dynamic, organic lines, and once the brush is under your control there's no need to even have a range of brush sizes. I use a #2 Raphael brush. mmmmmmmm Raphael .... *drool* The best damn brush in the universe. Admittedly, for those on more of a budget than even me (the Raphaels are nearly $20 a pop), perhaps a Windsor Newton is more worthwhile. At least until you get the hang of it

Lady_Acoma

First Post
Acquana said:
Hey, all them art schoolin lead to a couple of things.

Inking is actually what I enjoy doing the most. Penciling pages is a pain to me, but I can ink all day long with narry a care.

Tips on those interested in trying it: Screw pens. Learning to use a brush is one of the most rewarding things about inking. It allows for dynamic, organic lines, and once the brush is under your control there's no need to even have a range of brush sizes. I use a #2 Raphael brush. mmmmmmmm Raphael .... *drool* The best damn brush in the universe. Admittedly, for those on more of a budget than even me (the Raphaels are nearly $20 a pop), perhaps a Windsor Newton is more worthwhile. At least until you get the hang of it
Funny enough I did go to school with a major in art as well, but it was art ed. and illness has lead to me having to drop out a couple of times. :( But I never had a class where anyone talked about the proper way to do inking. I was pretty sure you were going to say that you used brushes because of the flow of some of your lines, but I wanted to be sure. My finer brush skills are in a need of retouching as I have been in such a funk for so long that mostly I have only been able to force myself to pencil out things for awhile. But I wanted to get back into things with watercolor and that helps my brush work a lot, and this will be a good way to as well. Thanks!

p.s. I like the Raphaels myself, but I would also suggest Winsor Newton as a good cost effective choice. However this is from a water colorest's (sp?) stand point on it.

apalmer

First Post
Acquana said:
....Inking is actually what I enjoy doing the most. Penciling pages is a pain to me, but I can ink all day long with narry a care......

see.....not I....inks are evil and cold to me :)....not to look at but to use. Comic art, though I love it and I find it inspiring, is just to cold for my fingers to produce....need to be able to shade to make things a bit warmer.

but thats just me....you seem to have an excellent grasp of it. I am purely a penciler :)

Dire Lemming

First Post
Wow, I've looked through most of this thread and I have to agree with everyone that your artwork is great. I haven't visited this site for almost a year or I would have said so sooner.

In any case, I thought I'd throw out my D&D character from a PbP game as an idea for you.

Calahan GilsCarbo

Race: Human
Class: Fighter 3
Alignment: Neutral Good
Height: 5' 11"
Weight: 173 lb.

STR 16 (+3)
DEX 14 (+2)
CON 12 (+1)
INT 14 (+2)
WIZ 12 (+1)
CHA 9 (-1)

Calahan's hair is about 3 1/2 inches long and not really kept in any discernable style and his face is clean shaven, or at least meant to be, since he hasn't shaved for a while. All that aside, his looks are rather plain

He wears an undyed, longsleaved cotton shirt, long brown trousers and brown leather boots that come halfway up his shins, all of which he has had for quite a while. Over his cotton shirt he has a chain shirt, and over that he wears a worn leather vest.

His main weapons are a whip and a sap but he also has a rapier that was originally a wall decoration in the office of the local adventurers guild's sword instructor, as well as a few daggers. However, he doesn't like to use leathal force unless there is no alternative.

He's kind of the nice guy type.

I don't know how much of that you can use but thanks in advance for all your wonderful artwork.

PS I was wondering if you realized that the last name of that panda from a while back was "nipples" or at least something similar. Though I suppose that since it was a Chinese name it was actually her given name and not her family name.

Last edited:

Acquana

First Post
I'm all proud a'myself

So hey, remember I said I was working on a piece for my group? I'm all done! Wooo!

Team.jpg

This is the Mutants and Masterminds team, in its entirety! Everybody cheer!

Dire Lemming

First Post
Hip Hip hurray!! So, do you guys have a supername for you superteam yet? After all, every super group needs a cool name. Defenders, Avengers, Fantastic Four, X-Men, JLA, JSA, come to think of it, it can be a cool acronim to.

Also, who's that winged cat lady?

Also, also, Does the PS2 exsist in your game world? :p

Remove ads