• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventure] A scholar in need (DM:Someone, Judge: Renau1g)

Fyrm

First Post
At Throgorius's house, Mercurial steps on over to Domenicos's house, and searches it for anything that might have been of importance that he didn't realise was important.
OOC: who knows? maybe Throgorius left his friend a note or some document that points to where he was going, just that wouldn't make sence until now. wow. a natural 20 on a long shot. that's kinda lame 1d20+9=29

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
GM: Remeber the basic rules about skill challenges: only one skill per round, and you can aid another, which could be useful if you don't know what to do. The "difficulty increases for repetitions of the same check" not only applies to your checks, but other characters' too.

orkish_blade

Explorer
Bones tells the others, "I'm going to take a stroll around the neighborhood to see what I can learn from the locals."

Bones walks around to inquire about any suspicious people or unusual activities occurring around Thogorius's house in the past few days. He looks for neighborhood merchants, shopkeepers, barkeeps, beggars, residents--whoever seems to hang around the area from day-to-day--trying to engage in casual conversation without raising too much alarm and suspicion.

[sblock=Streetwise check] Streetwise to gather information, 1d20 + 6 = 26 (some kind of a success!) ...this may take more than one round. [/sblock]

[sblock=Quick Stats]
Bones, level 1 human rogue
hp 29/29, surges 7/7; AC 16, Fortitude 13, Reflex 17, Will 12;
available: easy target (daily), second wind, torturous strike; 3 daggers
expended: action point
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
GM: Waiting for Artemis and Ianward. I know I didn't give you many details to begin with, but that's intentional; I wanted to keep this part sort of freeform, so if you roll well enough, do assume you find something or someone and roleplay properly; sorry for forgetting to mention earlier. For example, Orkish_Blade could have posted how a friend of Bones, who regents a pawn shop occasionally dealing with not so legal practices located just in front of Thogorius' house, really did see something. I'll use as much of your posts that don't directly contradict my notes.

Also remember that there are a number of Epigene's mooks searching the city; you can make rolls interacting with them.

FourMonos

First Post
When they get to Thogorius's house, Artemis tries to focus his inner... demon?.... no, focus his newfound energy to help determine if there are magical implications to the research.

[sblock=aid another Arcana] 1d20 +2 → [19,2] = (21). Roll Lookup . Should have just rolled the arcana check I guess... [/sblock]

Otakkun

Explorer
As they arrived to Thogorius's place Ianward tries to get a better idea on how to go about this whole business. Perhaps there's something they are missing? So far they have the friend who's searching, others looking for him and thugs hired to get him back...

No luck.

"Let's hope Bones is able to get some more info on Domenico's whereabouts, so far I've got nothing to help."

Someone

Adventurer
The first logical step was to start at Thogorius' house and you find it in a sorry state: the door was busted open and the small house thoroughly searched, with every of Thogorius' possesions being part of a big mess. Nonetheless while Artemis tries to find magical residues, Sound of Stone perseveres.

Artemis indeed finds out that some kid of divination ritual was conducted recently -there are badly erased markings on the floor he can identify and residues of arcane components- so Epigenes could have been here not long ago, but can determine more details. Sound of Stone at first can't find anything out of the ordinary, but when he's about to leave somethin catches his multi-faceted eye; a brick in the wall lacks some of the dirt and dust the others have. It does take some effort, but with his claws he manages to pluck it from the wall. There's a hidden compartment behind it, with two or three interesting findings: An empty purse, the kind you keep money in, some kind of research about a mage from the court ot Theotocopolis, who dissapeared a century and a half ago, and the third is some moldy papers, no longer legible, which had some rust deposit in the form of a large key suggesting that a rusty key was recently taken from here, since when the key was removed it tore some bits of paper from it and this damage looks recent.

Meanwhile Bones has a very interesting conversation with a fellow nicknamed Yellow Eye. He has an antique shop in the same street where Thogorius and Domenicos live which serves as cover for his true business of buying stolen goods. His line of business gives him ample opportunity to watch the street; he tells Bones several interesting things. He saw Thogorius arriving not two hours ago, apparently very agitated. He left not two minues after that (and points at the direction he went to). Then, perhaps fifteen minutes later this dark haired guy arrived and forced their way into the house, leaving shortly.

Yellow Eye is smart enough to divine Thogorius is in trouble, and says "He looked clever enough. He worked at the port, one of the oldest part of the city. I bet there are very good places to hide there"

When you gather to share your findings, Mercurial arrives from Domenicos' place. There's nothing there that could help you there, but it was worth the time to check and be sure.

[sblock=Challenge status]

Successes: 2
Failures: 1

I won't give Mercurial a success since I determined beforehand that there's no information that Domenicos knows or could be at his home, but since Fyrm made the roll I won't give him a failure either.

By the way, are you keeping Domenicos with you, or are you parking him somewhere?[/sblock]

orkish_blade

Explorer
Bones points down the street (with Domenicos out of earshot), "Yellow Eye said he went that way, I think we should continue our search in that direction, near the docks where these two clowns do their clerking."

Bones keeps a watchful eye for any more of the Seagull thugs as he follows the main street down toward the docks. Having learned much about underground structures and ruins from his dwarven master, he pictures in his mind the tunnels, sewers, and culverts that are running below the streets and that undoubtedly connect some of the warehouses, offices, and taverns, particularly as they approach the port. He looks for signs of ways in and ways out, large and small (storm drains, manholes, public bathhouses and outhouses, etc.), and for hints at features and locations of the underground tunnels visible at the street level (rises in the street over a large culvert, pipe, or aqueduct, dips in the street over filled in sinkholes, water damage to building foundations, etc.).

If I were trying to hide
, Bones thinks to himself as he walks, I'd get off the street and out of sight, and underground seems as good a place as any. If I were trying to hide something large and conspicuous like a legendary magician's hoard or laboratory (or his corpse), I'd definitely need to find a nice, secure hole in the ground.

Bones ponders these things and can't help but feel a little distaste at the thought of having to search the sewers (storm or otherwise) of such a crowded metropolis. He'd much rather be scouring the tombs of lost kings or the exploring the ancient dwarven cities of past ages.

[sblock=Dungeoneering check]
Dungeoneering check to look for signs of underground structures, hiding places, tunnels in the docks district, 1d20 + 6 = 17 (success! hopefully)
[/sblock]

[sblock=Quick Stats]
Bones, level 1 human rogue
hp 29/29, surges 7/7; AC 16, Fortitude 13, Reflex 17, Will 12;
available: easy target (daily), second wind, torturous strike; 3 daggers
expended: action point
[/sblock]

rb780nm

First Post
Sound of stone leaps up onto a roof near the docks, and looks for any marks or signs that might help Bones out.

OOC: Roll to aid Bones' Dungeoneering check +1 vs 10:

Also, can we assume to have taken a short rest at some point after the fight? I wanted meant to spend another couple of surges and get back to unbloodied...

Unfortunately, his unfamiliarity with Cities leads to him sending Bones on a number of wild goose chases.

OOC: That's two natural ones in a row!

[sblock=Quick Stats]Sound of Stone, Thri-kreen Monk 1 Speaks in Lime Italics HP24/25 Temp HP 0 , Surges 5/8

Initiative
+5 AC 17, Fort 13, Reflex 16, Will 13 AP 1, Surges 8/8 Centered Flurry of Blows, Crane's Wings, Five Storms, Thri-kreen Claws, Open the Gates of Battle, Masterful Spiral,
Special:
Wiki page: PC:SoundofStone (rb780nm) - L4W Wiki
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads