• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventure:Land Ho! FWBTHW (DM:H.M.Gimlord,Judge:Ozymandias79)

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=OOT]I'll be able to read posts and post simple updates as my only connection will be my iPhone, but I can't guarantee I'll be fully engaged until the 10th (i. e.: map updates, complex and lengthy RP etc...).[/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=scroll]I'll go ahead and roll it!

Woohoo, a 1. :( That becomes a 19. Is that enough to even do anything?[/sblock]
Mervin attempts to perform the knock ritual using the scroll, but he may have been doing the can-can.
[sblock=OOC]That all depends on whether or not Riardon helps...[/sblock]

evilbob

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]Isn't it always the way that the helper gets the higher roll than the person doing the skill check? :)[/sblock]Mervin looks confused by the advice but tries to correctly hold the scroll.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
Holding the scroll according to Riardon's instructions Mervin continues the incantation. Comprehension dawns as he realizes that the scroll is actually written in a derivative of Common, and not Elven (as he thought while holding the parchment upside-down). He thinks it strange that a ritual scroll would be written in such a vulgar script.

The ingredients make a pungent mixture, the dust of which goes everywhere and smudges the wizards robes. Mervin has a sneaking suspicion that the ritual is more alchemical than magical, but he follows the directions nonetheless.

He pours the powder down the keyhole of the unusually large lock that seals the chest, and fetches a doused candle from the desk in the corner. As Mervin lights the candle and jumps back as a huge (albeit harmless) fireball erupts from the smudges on his hands robes. The display takes everyone by surprise, but other than a few singed hairs and hems, all is well.

Blinking from the resulting smoke (which burns the noes and smells of rotten eggs), Mervin waks over to the chest and touches the candle to the lock (careful to hold the candel at arm's distance). As he does this, fire erupts from the keyhole, and the lock shudders as it comes open with an audible CRACK of steel. The pieces of the lock fall clanking to the floor amid a cloud of more foul-smelling smoke.

As silence returns to the room, the group swears they can hear small voices from inside the chest (which now stands unlocked).

Suddenly, the box springs open in a blaze of fire and flame. Two tiny creatures jump forward taking Mervin and Riardon completely by surprise. Their heads appear as flaming skulls, and their bodies appear to be the charred remains of a tiny humanoid figure, badly burned. Their voices are high pitched, almost childlike as they run toward Jin, their flaming heads bobbing up and down, shedding flecks of brimstone (which by the way smell an awful lot like the powder from the ritual) and trailing tendrils of smoke.

"Now ya dunnit! Now ya dunnit! Now ya dunnit! Now ya dunnit!"

Fortunately, the ronin was prepared for the likelihood of a trap and his blades are ready.

Fenwick too, having nothing better to do than watch, was pleased to see something his axe could chop.

[sblock=Initiative]I took the liberty...

Jin = 18
Fenwick = 22

Bad Guys = 15

Mervin = 11
Riardon = 13

I added Riardon's +2 after rolling.

So... Jin and Fenwick go first. Then bad guys. Then good guys. Etc...

I don't have a map right now (and likely won't until I get back, so I'll leave you wanting more I guess).[/sblock][sblock=Bad Guys]
Flameskull.jpg

X2[/sblock]

Last edited:

evilbob

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]See you in a week!

My only correction to your story is that Mervin would never use something so vulgar as a common piece of flint and steel - he would always use magic. So rather than get a candle and light it, he'd just light the "mixture" with magic immediately. :)[/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]Duly noted and retconned. I'm still here, but I'm not able to post the brilliant maps for which I'm known as my iPhone is my only means of connectivity. I'
m sure I could get invisible castle to work, but I guess I'm too lazy for that :). [/sblock]

evilbob

Explorer
[sblock=maps]Actually, if you want, you still have a map from post #516, here. If everyone else is cool with it, you could just give us coordinates of where we are and where the two baddies are. I mean, if there's more to the room than that, it might get too complex in a hurry, but honestly I doubt we really even need a map to fight two guys, so long as we all have a decent idea of where they are.

As for rolling, I know I don't mind if you just roll (there are some iphone apps for that if you want, or you can just use any random # generator from any website that has them - this is a good one) and tell us what the numbers are; I mean you ARE the DM and you don't have to actually link us to a roll. :)

If all of this is too much trouble, though, please feel free to ignore; it's cool either way.[/sblock]

Tenchuu

First Post
The Ronin was poised: ready for the enemies to leap out. At once, he slashed with both swords, but found only air against the odd creatures.

"To me, oni!" Jin taunted, despite his misses.

[sblock=Action Block, Mini-Stats]
Twin Strike, Miss, Miss.

[sblock=Action Block]
Move: NA
Minor: NA
Standard: Twin Strike
Free: Acid Katana Attack
Effect: 5 ongoing acid damage
[/sblock][sblock=Jin Stat block]Ashikaga Jin'emon - Male Human Ranger 2
Initiative: +4, Passive Perception: 18, Passive Insight: 14
Defenses:
AC: 17, Fort: 16, Reflex: 17, Will: 14 -- Speed: 6

Vitality:
HP: 23/32, Bloodied: 16, Surge Value: 8, Surges left: 6/6
Action Points: 0, Second Wind: 1
Languages:
Common, Elven

Basic Attacks
:
:bmelee: Basic Melee Attack: +8 vs AC - Acidic Katana 1d10+5
:ranged: Ranged Basic Attack: +7 vs AC - Thrown Dagger 1D4+3

Powers:
At-Will:
Hunter's Quarry, Twin Strike, Shield of Blades, Hit & Run
Encounter: Off-Hand Strike, Acidic Katana Ranged Attack, Unbalancing Parry
Daily: Jaws of the Wolf, Acid Katana Attack

Weapons:
1 Acidic Katana (Acidic Bastard Sword +1 stats)
1 Katana (Bastard Sword stats)
[/sblock][/sblock]

BenBrown

First Post
[sblock=ooc]I think I will wait for the map, or at least info on position. Need that to see if Fenwick can charge, y'know[/sblock]

Remove ads