• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventure:Land Ho! FWBTHW (DM:H.M.Gimlord,Judge:Ozymandias79)

evilbob

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]Wow, not even my shield spell can help me on that one...

Just to clarify, even though everything looks like it's on fire, nothing mechanically is happening, correct? No ongoing damage, etc.[/sblock]
Horribly burnt and tired of being horribly burnt, Mervin quickly takes a step back and then summons a horde of tiny, winged samurai (who look a lot like Jin) who attack and taunt the tiny hell-creatures and their minion.

[sblock=ooc]move: shift to K30

standard: winged horde centered on J28; attacks minion, flameskull 2 & 1: 18 vs. will on minion (dead), 25 vs. will on flameskull 2, 20 vs. will on flameskull 1. flameskulls take 8 psychic damage and cannot make OAs until the end of Mervin's next turn. Holy crap, I cannot believe I actually hit all of these things. Seriously.

AP: standard: 2nd wind[/sblock]
Amazingly, the tiny Jins' taunts work and the hellish creatures are distracted with looks of pain as they try to bat them away. Their evil spawn is overwhelmed and bursts into pieces like his unfortunate comrades.

Surprised at his own success, Mervin encourages his companions to take advantage of the momentary lapse in the awareness of these creatures. He then concentrates on re-focusing his energy and raising his guard.

[sblock=tactics]Well, Mervin's daily is fire-based, but he can try to winged horde so we can avoid OAs, and if we get them bunched together and no one else is in the way, color spray (daze) or orbmaster's (prone). Those are really his best options. However, I have to roll 12s in order to hit with anything, and since my average is about 5, that's going to be tricky. If we just need raw damage I do have a vs. Fort attack, but it won't grant any useful statuses.[/sblock]
[sblock=Mervin ministats]Mervin Male Human Wizard 3
Initiative: +7, Passive Perception: 12, Passive Insight: 17, Senses: Normal
AC:19(21), Fort:13(15), Reflex:17(19), Will:15(17)
HP:13/31, Bloodied:15, Surge Value:7, Surges left:6/7
Action Points/Daily Item Uses/Milestones: 0/1/0
Powers:
Phantom Bolt
Winged Horde
Thunderwave
(Wizard cantrips)

Orbmaster's Incendiary Detonation
Color Spray
Shield
Staff of Defense
Second Wind
Orb of Nimble Thoughts

Flaming Sphere

Important Stuff:

Conditions:

Full sheet: L4W:CS:Mervin (evilbob) - L4W Wiki[/sblock]

evilbob

Explorer
[sblock=wait a minute...]Actually, I just realized that if flameskull 2 bit Jin, he'd have to be in Jin's space, since that attack has a reach 0 - right?

In that case:
a) did he shift in the air or would have have taken OAs from Riardon and Fenwick to get there?
b) if he IS there, can Mervin retcon his AP to color spray instead of 2nd wind?[/sblock]

evilbob

Explorer
[sblock=actually...]I take that back. If I'd like to retcon anything, it would be that I'd like the winged horde attack to have been color spray, since dazing would also cause them not to be able to take OAs and stacking those effects is worthless. Not sure if that will fly, though, and also that's going to lead to a discussion about whether or not I can avoid targeting Jin on the ground in the same space.

Also, I should have used my AP to attack and then my standard to 2nd wind, since Riardon grants a +1 to AP attacks. It doesn't matter now, though, since all the attacks hit anyway.

I think all of us are going to have to 2nd wind this round (and probably AP attack first), since Riardon will also likely be spending his heal on Jin (who will also need to 2nd wind). At least they've both used their AP and their fireball attacks, tho... :)

Does anyone else give bonuses to hit and/or penalties to defense besides the +1 to AP attacks?[/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]No OG damage... yet. The fireballs have a tendancy to extinguish themselves with their concussive force. Any burning material is not yet burning out of control, but that is likely to change if not addressed.

Yes. FS2 should have shifted to Jin's square. I overlooked the Range 0. That and my previous oversight being the case, he should have followed up by conjuring his own 4 deathgaunts instead of the bite. If you don't retcon, I'll simply shift FS2 to Jin's square instead ;). This will save some confusion, and (fortunately for you all) lengthen the encounter ;). [/sblock]

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
Riardon

"Everyone up. Let's kill them before they can summon more nasties. Go, go, go!" Riardon calls, giving himself and his allies no confidence as his glowing blade cuts in one of his tiny foes.

[sblock=OOC]

Not approved for 5th level

-----

Free: Change damage to radiant
Standard: Stand the Fallen (1d20+10=26, 3d8+5=21) vs J 28. Deals 21 dam 26 dam, including vulnerabilities. Also, everyone can spend a healing Surge!
Minoe: Inspiring Word (1d6+3=9) on himself.

-----

Everyone in 20 sq around Riardon gets a +2 to initiative.
When you spend an AP, you get a +1 on attacks.

[sblock=Mini stat block]
Riardon d'Caelis
Perception: 18 Insight: 13 Low-light Vision
AC 20 Fortitude 18 Reflex 17 Will 16
Initiative: +4
Hit Points: 38 / 49 Bloodied: 24
Temporary Hit Points: 0
Resist: -
Saving Throw: +5 vs Charm
Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
Healing Surge:11 Surges per day: 5 / 8
At-Will Powers: Directing Strike, Opening Shove
Encounter Powers: Inspiring Word 1/2, Arcane Mutterings, Chilling Cloud, Warlords Favor, Steel Monsoon, Feystep
Daily Powers: Calculated Assault, Stand the Fallen, Sunblade Burst

Condition:

[/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

evilbob

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]However you want to handle it is fine. I was just saying, IF he shifted to Jin's square AND I can color spray without hitting Jin AND you'll let me use the same rolls I rolled for winged horde, I would retcon my winged horde to be a color spray. This would have the effect of still killing the minion, doing 5 more damage to each imp, and causing them to be dazed instead of simply "no OA" (dazing including not being able to take OAs). It would also burn my encounter power. (Also the damage is radiant but I believe they cancel each other's radiant vulnerability.)

However, that's several IFs in a row, and if that's too much, then I completely understand and I will just let my action stand as-is. I hate to give up the +1 from the AP I could be spending, but when you have 6 HP, you don't have much choice.[/sblock]

evilbob

Explorer
[sblock=walking dad]I think their auras cancel out each other's vulnerability.

Also, can Jin spend a healing surge from that power, or do you need to see/hear you for that to affect him?[/sblock]

Mervin's new stat block
[sblock=Mervin ministats]Mervin Male Human Wizard 3
Initiative: +7, Passive Perception: 12, Passive Insight: 17, Senses: Normal
AC:19(21), Fort:13(15), Reflex:17(19), Will:15(17)
HP:20/31, Bloodied:15, Surge Value:7, Surges left:5/7
Action Points/Daily Item Uses/Milestones: 0/1/0
Powers:
Phantom Bolt
Winged Horde
Thunderwave
(Wizard cantrips)

Orbmaster's Incendiary Detonation
Color Spray
Shield
Staff of Defense
Second Wind
Orb of Nimble Thoughts

Flaming Sphere

Important Stuff:

Conditions:

Full sheet: L4W:CS:Mervin (evilbob) - L4W Wiki[/sblock]

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
[sblock=walking dad]I think their auras cancel out each other's vulnerability.

Also, can Jin spend a healing surge from that power, or do you need to see/hear you for that to affect him?[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]Good catch on the vulnerabilities.

As it uses the same words as any healing power, it should effect Jin normally. No specification on seeing or hearing. (There is also none for inspiring word. Would be a big nerf to martial healing powers.)[/sblock]

Remove ads