• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventure:Land Ho! FWBTHW (DM:H.M.Gimlord,Judge:Ozymandias79)

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
The foul, undead menaces focus on Jin as if bound by some demonic oath, ignoring the others, “You don’t get away that easy, “ taunts the first Flameskull as he moves back to release a bolt of arcane flame. Mervin and Riardon are on top of him instantly, slicing his wings and crushing him before he can get the shot off.

The other Flameskull howls at the demise of his brother, the wailing sound summons four more undead minions who swarm around Jin in a feast of flesh. Claws rip into the oriental swordsman with evil hatred that the undead reserve for the living. Riardon manages to skewer one as he makes room for a comrade, but his efforts are not enough. Jin falls, and is no more.

The Flameskull chuckles, glaring down at the dead ranger on the floor, “Hehehehe. Shouldn’t be so curious,” he turns to face the group, “A warning, perhaps, for the rest of you. Ask yourselves, ‘Is gold really worth that much to you?’”

With that, he makes a ceremonial pantomime of a tipping hat, and disappears in a puff of flame. The undead minions dissolve into thin smoke, and the room, though smoldering in ashes and dying flame, is once more deathly quiet.

A friend has fallen, and the rest are left wondering why.

[sblock=Mechanics]
Flameskull1
Move: Shift (in flight) to J29
Riardon’s OA 1d20+10+3=22 for 1d8+5+3 = 12 damage
Mervin’s OA 1d20+1=20 for 1d4+1+3 = 5 damage
Flameskull1 is Dead.

Flameskull2
Standard: Call of the Grave.
Effect: Deathgaunts appear at I28, H27,
J28, and J29,

Deathgaunt1
Standard: Claw
Target: Jin
Attack: 1d20+14= 26 vs. AC for 7 damage
Effect: Shift to H28

Deathgaunt2
Move: to I28
Attack: 1d20+14 = 31 vs. AC for 7 damage

Deathgaunt3
Attack: 1d20+14 vs. AC for 7 damage
Move: to J30
Jin’s OA: 1d20+8 = 15 vs. AC miss
Fenwick’s OA: 1d20+9 = 12vs. AC miss
Riardon’s OA: 1d20+10 = 25 vs. AC Hit (Dang. Almost made it!)
Mervin’s OA 1d20 = 5vs. AC miss

Deathgaunt4
Move: Shift to I28
Attack: 1d20+14=vs. AC for 7 damage
[/sblock][sblock=Status]Jin: J27 -20/32 Dead
Fenwick: K27 Alive
Riardon: K28 Alive
Mervin: K29 Alive
[/sblock][sblock=For Reference: Map at the BEGINNING of this sequence of turns]
FlameskullsRound2_3-1.png
[/sblock][sblock=NPCs]
Flameskull.jpg
X2

Deathnaught.png
[/sblock][sblock=Mervin]Mervin notices a pile of gold in the chest [sblock=If you inspect the pile of gold]It turns out to be 500gp.[/sblock] Mervin's insight is also keen enough to put 2 and 2 together. The chest was cursed to summon the two Flameskulls and relentlessly attack anyone who read the inscription on the chest. At some point, someone was smart enough to cake mud over the words so as to obscure the inscription and thus prevent accidentally triggering the curse. Mervin further muses on the complexity of the curse. The curse affects the reader, not the opener of the box. This could have made a valuable weapon providing an alibi for the owner, should he/she wish to murder someone.[/sblock]

Last edited:

BenBrown

First Post
[sblock=wait! wait!]The flameskull that Fenwick hit last round should be -3 to AC until the end of Fenwick's next turn. I thik that may mean Jin hit it. Not that this will necessarily change the outcome, but...[/sblock]

Tenchuu

First Post
[sblock=OOC]The first attack is enough to render Jin unconscious again, so I don't think he really had any OAs.[/sblock]

Jin uttered indistinct words as his body fell to the ground, expelling his last breath. The ronin still clutched his father's ancient blade tightly.

Last edited:

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]The first attack is enough to render Jin unconcious again, so I don't think he really had any OAs.[/sblock]
[sblock=Tenchuu]I think BB is talking about your Twin Strike last round. In which case he would be right on both counts. Your attacks did hit, but the damage from the Minions is still sufficient to kill Jin outright.[/sblock]

[sblock=wait! wait!]The flameskull that Fenwick hit last round should be -3 to AC until the end of Fenwick's next turn. I thik that may mean Jin hit it. Not that this will necessarily change the outcome, but...[/sblock]
[sblock=BB]You are correct. Jin's last attacks are enough for Riardon and Mervin to take out the first Flameskull before he can pull off his Fiery Ray attack. Additionally, Call of the Grave is technically a ranged attack, allowing Fenwick and Riardon an OA each. The total damage (32 max), however wouldn't be sufficient to kill FS2, though, so I figured it didn't need to be retconned. Unfortunately, this means that Jin is still dealt 28 more damage by the minions, bringing him down to -20hp (< -16), which is still enough to kill him outright.

It does change the outcome, though, as far as xp are concerned.

The status update post has been retconned accordingly.[/sblock]

Last edited:

evilbob

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]This may be far too late for a ret-con, but I notice that Jin died with an action point and his 2nd wind still intact. Would it have been possible for him to use it on his turn? Or Tenchuu, was that a choice intentionally made?[/sblock]

Walking Dad

First Post
Riardon

Riardon quickly tries to help the fallen Jin, but quickly realizes that he was to late. "Oh Jin, maybe, if I reacted faster..."

[sblock=OOC]

Not approved for 5th level (not needed any longer (seee L4W discussion)).

-----

spendimg healing surge after fight.

Tenchuu, do you want Jin raised?

-----

Everyone in 20 sq around Riardon gets a +2 to initiative.
When you spend an AP, you get a +1 on attacks.

[sblock=Mini stat block]
Riardon d'Caelis
Perception: 18 Insight: 13 Low-light Vision
AC 20 Fortitude 18 Reflex 17 Will 16
Initiative: +4
Hit Points: 38 / 49 Bloodied: 24
Temporary Hit Points: 0
Resist: -
Saving Throw: +5 vs Charm
Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
Healing Surge:11 Surges per day: 5 / 8
At-Will Powers: Directing Strike, Opening Shove
Encounter Powers: Inspiring Word 1/2, Arcane Mutterings, Chilling Cloud, Warlords Favor, Steel Monsoon, Feystep
Daily Powers: Calculated Assault, Stand the Fallen, Sunblade Burst

Condition:

[/sblock][/sblock]

Tenchuu

First Post
Jin's eyes were still open, and he seemed to look directly at Rairdon, or rather, through him.

[sblock=WD/ooc]Yes, I would like Jin raised. Thanks! :)[/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=RP suggestions]This set of encounters has lasted several months now, so I figured I'd just give you some useful sit-rep information:

1. The ritual takes 8 hours to perform, and your guys haven't had sleep in a long time.
  2. Jahred offered you free lodging at the Crystal Mug
  3. After an extended rest you could go into town and see what your money will get you.
  4. If you're going after Hankel, you'll want to ask around for some clues to get you started.
  5. You might want to find Fargo and tell him your plans before you leave Rioc Alair.
[/sblock]

evilbob

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]Ok, so I guess I'm just a bit confused...

So I don't understand why Jin didn't use an AP and heal, but if that was just a mistake and that's that, and he's dead, then that's just how it goes. So now Jin is dead but somehow we can raise him, except no one is 8th level so I'm not sure how to go about doing that. I'm sure none of us have that ritual - in fact I'm the only one with the ritual caster feat and I'm still level 3 - so I guess we go to an NPC or something?

Also, is the battle over? If so, did we get XPs / gold / etc?

Assuming those things are true, then yes: we should go to the (free) inn and heal/rest/etc. (also I think you were implying we could buy stuff in town?). Not sure what to do with Jin's body. Again, I think I'm the only ritual caster and I sure don't have gentle repose or anything. Frankly, we could leave it down here, I guess...

Did we find anything else down here? What about the dagger I found, or the other ritual scrolls?

Officially Mervin doesn't know anything about Hankel or Fargo. Not sure what to do about that.

Anyone have any other thoughts or should we just rest / heal / buy stuff and then see where we are?[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads