• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventure:Land Ho! FWBTHW (DM:H.M.Gimlord,Judge:Ozymandias79)

Tenchuu

First Post
[sblock=ooc]I would take advantage of the DM's indiscretion at forgetting the map and assume you can. Better yet, assume you have CA as well![/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]Hello. I'm back. BTW: I didn't forget the map, I just set up the combat scenario as a teaser. Didn't have the time to put the map together.

So... Here is everything with the map...[/sblock]The tiny, flaming buggers slide easily between Riardon's feet and find a position against the wall, eyes burning like braziers, "Hehehehe." They cackle in high-pitched unison like annoying twins who like to do the same thing all the time.[sblock=Fenwick]Since Fenwick is already in the room, and the room is rather small (as you will see from the map), charging is not an option. Sorry.[/sblock][sblock=Jin]Since there was no map, though, I'll let Jin retcon (and even re-roll) his attack if he wants to.... But no CA here. Fair trade?[/sblock][sblock=Status]Fenwick: J28 49/49 HP 11/11 HS 1 AP
Jin: J27 32/32 HP 6/6 HS 1 AP
Riardon: K28 49/49 HP 8/8 HS 1 AP
Mervin: K29 31/31 HP 7/7 HS 1 AP
Flameskull 1: K27 128/128
Flameskull 2: K27 128/128 (Not a typo. They're in the same square)

I took the liberty of placing you in the most likely locations.

To make things easier for Jin and Fenwick, I moved them to K27 as a "surprise action". If you want to get technical, I can put them back in the chest and laugh as Fenwick and Jin jump on the bed to get a whack at them ;).

Also. Keep in mind that you have not had an extended rest yet, but you have had a short rest.

I'm also too lazy to track how many surges you each spent in the basement, so I'm going to assume that you won't expend all of them during this battle.

I have an apology to make to WD, for promising him an extended rest after this. That was back when I thought you would win the skill challenge without the need to inspect this room until the next day.[/sblock][sblock=Map]
FlameskullsRound1.png
[/sblock][sblock=Terrain]OK. All squares with furniture are difficult terrain (mostly affecting the ability to shift). Since the flameskulls are tiny and medium creatures can't stuff into a single space unless one is prone, this is going to be fun and loaded with OAs.[/sblock][sblock=Enemies]
Flameskull.jpg

X2[/sblock]

BenBrown

First Post
"Aaaah! Surprising flaming skull things!" Fenwick shouts. "Everybody kill--er, is kill right word since skulls already deceased?"

Fenwick takes a solid swipe at one of the skulls, barely tapping it, then sidles past Riardon to swipe at the other one from a better angle, connecting more solidly.[sblock=actions]Vault the Fallen vs. Skull 1, Skull 2 (after shifting to flank). (1d20+9=20, 1d12.minroll(3)+1d6+5=12, 1d20+9+2=21, 1d12.minroll(3)+1d6+5=19) Hit one, Fenwick shifts L27 via K28, hit two.[/sblock][sblock=Fenwick stat block]Fenwick Male Orc Barbarian 2
Initiative: +1, Passive Perception: 11, Passive Insight: 11, Senses: Low-light
AC:17, Fort:18, Reflex:14, Will:15
HP:49/49, Bloodied:24, Surge Value:12, Surges left:11/11
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: unused
Powers:Howling Strike, Howl of Fury, Warrior's Surge, Roar of Triumph,
Vault the Fallen, Shrug It Off, Shatterbone Strike
Swift Panther Rage,
Vanguard Execution Axe

Feral Might: When Fenwick bloodies an enemy, the next attack by him
or one of his allies against that enemy gains a +3 bonus to the attack and damage rolls.

Conditions: none
[/sblock]

Last edited:

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=Level Up]All. I thought that I had made this clear earlier, but then I realized that I had only said it to WD in a spoiler directed to him.

Please level up your characters. I'm OK with playing while your waiting for approval, but by all means if your CS is even remotely accurate, use your character at the level allowed per your last experience award.

Fenwick: Level 4
Riardon: Level 5
Mervin: Level 3
Jin: Level 4

BB: Please retcon your attacks if necessary.

Ozy: Is that OK with you?[/sblock]

Last edited:

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
The Flameskulls, undaunted, though perhaps distracted by Fenwick’s attack, simply giggle and make a smoke-trailing hat-tipping gesture to Jin, “You shouldn’t be so curious, slanty-eyes.” They chant in a sing-songy unison.

“Yeah,” the one on the left continues, “Old Stodgy-Face put mud on the words so he wouldn’t read 'em by accident.” He snickers.

“But you bumped it off!...Sucks to be you!”

Immediately, the ‘pleasantries’ end as the Flameskull on the left opens the palm of his tiny hand and makes a gesture akin to blowing a kiss. Unfortunately, the result is not so congenial. The entire room erupts in a ball of flame, igniting everything not made of rock or iron. Mervin, taking cover behind Riardon, is only singed, but rest of the group goes up in flames with blisters rising on their skin.

“Good help is hard to find, but we’ll manage.” Before any of them can react, he claps his hands and four rotten apparitions materialize as if from thin air surrounding Jin. They converge on the ronin, tearing him to within an inch of his life. One, spawned on the bed attempts to claw his way past Riardon in order to get to ranger, doing quite a bit of damage to the warlord himself.

Jin's last inch of life, however, doesn't last long. The second Flameskull, too, generates a scorching fireball that leaves the rest of the group covered in 3rd degree burns that ooze freely. Jin drops to the floor dying while the others wonder if they’ll survive the next few seconds themselves.

Standing next to the fallen ranger, the second Flameskull cackles, “Hehehehe. You won’t do that again, now will you?” He stoops down, lifts up the ronin’s right hand and bites down with his flaming teeth, “Tell me boy. Can you still feel that?”

[sblock=Mechanics]
Flameskull 1
Standard: Fireball
Attacks:
Jin – 1d20+9 = 22 vs. Reflex for 16 damage
Fenwick – 1d20+9 = 15 vs. Reflex for 16 damage
Riardon – 1d20+9 = 21 vs. Reflex for 16 damage
Mervin – 1d20+9 = 13 vs. Reflex Miss for 8 damage

Move: Shift to J28
AP: Call of the Grave

Deathgaunt1
Standard: Claw
Target: Jin
Attack: 1d20+14 =17 vs. AC Miss

Deathgaunt2
Attack: 1d20+14 = 28 vs. AC for 7 damage

Deathgaunt3
Attack: 1d20+14 = 34 vs. AC for 7 damage

Dreadgaunt4
Target: Riardon
Attack: 1d20+14 = 24 vs. AC for 7 damage

Flameskull 2
Standard: Fireball
Attacks:
Jin – 1d20+9 = 10 vs. Reflex Miss for 8 damage
Fenwick – 1d20+9 = 27 vs. Reflex for 17 damage
Riardon – 1d20+9 = 13 vs. Reflex Miss for 8 damage
Mervin – 1d20+9 = 23 vs. Reflex for 17 damage

AP: Fiery Bite
Attack: 1d20+14 = 19 vs. AC for 2 damage

[/sblock][sblock=Status] Fenwick: L27 16/49 HP 11/11 HS 1 AP Bloodied
Jin: J27-8/32 HP 6/6 HS 1 AP Dying
Riardon: K28 18/49HP 8/8 HS 1 AP Bloodied
Mervin: K29 6/31 HP 7/7 HS 1 AP Bloodied
Flameskull 1: J28 109/128
Flameskull 2: J27 116/128
Deathgaunt1: J28 Minion Dead
Deathgaunt2: K27 Minion Dead
Deathgaunt3: I28 Minion
Deathgaunt4: L28 Minion Dead [/sblock][sblock=Map]
FlameskullsRound2_3.png
[/sblock][sblock=NPCs]
Flameskull.jpg
X2

Deathnaught.png
[/sblock]

Last edited:

BenBrown

First Post
[sblock=HM]You've still got the two skulls listed in the same square in the status block.

Also, I'm looking at the fireball listed in the monster stat block. It says that the flameskull can exclude two allies. Wouldn't that mean that skull #2's blast toasted some of #1's minions as well as us?[/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]Right on both counts. I was wondering why this was looking way more lopsided than I had originally planned for this encounter. Retconned occordingly.[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads