[Adventure]: Land Ho! FWBTHW (DM:H.M.Gimlord,Judge:Ozymandias79)

Walking Dad

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Yeah, might as well rest.

So we get a +10 to our athletics check for a DC 12? Well I have the worst possible athletics - I add 1 - and I cannot fail the check (since even if I rolled a one, I add a total of 11). So do I need to roll?[/sblock]
[sblock=ooc]
No, +10 is just Fenwick's and Riardon's Athletics mod (including R's shield penalty). I think Mervin has to roll a 14, with his +1, to succeed.[/sblock]

evilbob

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]OH - thank you WD! I did not realize that was just for the anchor people! That makes much more sense now.

Ok well that's basically impossible, so what's the check to climb down the wall on one side? Can Mervin get help doing that?[/sblock]

BenBrown

First Post
[sblock=ooc]I was hoping the rope would make it not impossible. Or perhaps not even difficult. Oh well.

How about if I use the rope to help lower someone into the pit to walk across. Would that help?[/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
GM: Standard 10ft climb is DC 10. Lowering someone by robe is the same DC as an anchor, but requires no climbing check for the person being lowered, so consider Mervin on the floor of the pit if that's your intended course of action.

If Mervin is crossing the pit, I'll need to know his exact path to the other side (I'm also assuming that Riardon will lower a rope from the other side and pull Mervin up).

Are Rujah and Gensai going to cross the same way?

evilbob

Explorer
Mervin carefully climbs down the rope offered by his companion to the floor of the pit. He begins to cross the sandy bottom, careful to step where the footprints were from before.

[sblock=ooc]Mervin will step where the footprints went. If he makes it to where they stop, he'll examine the ground closely (passive perception is fine; his is 13) and see what he can see.

I'd suggest everyone else wait to see what happens to poor Mervin before we all jump down in the pit. :)[/sblock]

Tenchuu

First Post
Halleck waits for Mervin to climb across and then follows; however, the swordmage finds the rope slick and has difficulty maintaining his grip.

[sblock=Roll]
Athletics: 1d20+8=9 Nat 1

Naturally.
[/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
OOC: Welcome back Tenchuu!

BTW: Mervin is actually walking across the pit, having been lowered down by a rope anchored by Fenwick. He is now at the far end of the pit. I'm not sure that this was clear. There has been a lot of tactical discussion of late.

While you were out, it has been my impression that the party will wait for Mervin to make his next action to see if and how he makes it out of the pit.

As it is (lucky for you), your roll doesn't make sense, since it assumes that you're climbing across a suspended rope that isn't there ;). I'll assume you're waiting in line to see what Mervin does.
*edit*[sblock=Map]
WalrynsLayerRound9.png
[/sblock]

Last edited:

BenBrown

First Post
OOC: Are we stuck here?

It feels to me like we are. We're posting at a glacial pace, and I think everyone's a little wary of doing anything. After a failed skill challenge with no obvious consequences, we're waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Add to that a request from the DM to be explicit in describing our actions--guaranteed to strike terror into the hearts of experienced gamers--and I think we're turtling. That is to say we're not taking any actions because we know that's not going to get us stomped. The negative consequence of this is that the game grinds to a halt.

On top of this we have the climbing and falling rules in D&D which, unlike the combat rules which are designed to make the PCs look cool, seem to be designed to make even experienced PCs look utterly incompetent. Ogre? No problem. Ten foot wide pit? Scary.

I'd like to move forward. I'm on the verge of doing the "act like an idiot just to set off the trap so that we're not waiting around for it to spring," bit. If anyone (HM, this includes you) has any ideas on how we can move this along without doing that, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Remove ads