• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventure:-- LPNN (Manzanita Judging)

rln

Explorer
Ogrin snarls, "Drop it so I can get to them!" and then heads into the entanglement zone, attacking the rats.

two

First Post
rln said:
Ogrin snarls, "Drop it so I can get to them!" and then heads into the entanglement zone, attacking the rats.

Well that's one drop it -- anymore, people?

The consenses, if there is one, seems to be that the text for Astral Construct is confusing and possibly due to 3.0 text, or etc. who knows. I certainly don't. Too many rules, too vague, so very D&D.

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=136530.

For simplicity's sake, and to balance it against Summon Monster, Astral Constructs in this campaign with 1 round duration act just like Summon Monster's with 1 round duration, i.e. 1 full round to do stuff, then they poof. This is a quasi-house rule, I suppose. But heck, Astral Construct I monsters already beat the stuffing out of any SMI monsters; I really don't feel too bad making their durations clearly equal.

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: For what its worth, I agree that the duration should be equal, though I do the opposite in keeping Summon Monster with the additional attack (today is the first time I ever discovered that they removed that line from Summon Monster in 3.5, go figure :) Chalk that up to another 3.0 ruling that I will keep using myself). Anyway, good call and its fine by me--just everyone don't expect Zaeryl to help too much until level 2 ;)

Bront

The man with the probe
Juliana Hayes HP 11/11, AC 18

"Drop it when you're ready"

Juliana will continue to attack the rats till she has a shot to get close to the ratmen. She will position herself to get the best shot ASAP without actualy steping into the entangle.

If she can not easily get at a normal rat and the entangle is still up, she will enter the entangle to try to get at a ratman.

As soon as she can get a clear shot at a ratman (or otherwise gets a shot at one), she will attempt to trip him. (Touch attack with the flail (+2), trip is str opposed by str or dex, I get bonunses for improved trip (+6 is my total modifier to trip), plus, it's +4/-4 for every size different from medium. If I fail, he may attempt to trip me (same rules), though I can drop my weapon if I loose and am tripped. Also, with improved trip, if I succeed, I get a free normal attack.)

Normal attack, flail +2, 1d8+2, 20x2 crit.

Last edited:

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
31 HP total (27 normally, 4 from CON increase)
AC 10 (No armor, DEX +2, Rage -2)
Attacks:
Waraxe/Handaxe (dual-wielding)
+6/+6 (1d10+5/1d6+5) [+2 ATK and Dam. from STR increase]

Bront

The man with the probe
Rae ArdGaoth said:
31 HP total (27 normally, 4 from CON increase)
AC 10 (No armor, DEX +2, Rage -2)
Attacks:
Waraxe/Handaxe (dual-wielding)
+6/+6 (1d10+5/1d6+5) [+2 ATK and Dam. from STR increase]
OOC: Shouldn't you be only +2 to dmg with the offhanded weapon?

Bront

The man with the probe
OOC: BTW, two, don't forget to update the character tracking thread with who's in your group and what not. Even if we haven't recieved much of anything, it does need to be updated.

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Naww, we've received a whole buncha stuff--several crossbow bolts that might even be recoverable from your bodies to use with Zaeryl's crossbow, not to mention large amounts of damage :lol: )

two

First Post
Combat likely over unless you pursue

Round 6, continued

I22: Ratman1
I22.1: Ogrin
I22.2: Rats (moved in initiative via readied action)
I22.3: Rasereit
I19: Ratman2
I16: Vargo & Wolf (moved up via readied entangle)
I16.1: Hallidor
I12: Juliana
I7: Zaeryl
I2: Almayce

I16: Vargo moves over to Huld and, with a standard action, drops the Entangle spell. He gets ready to “magic fang” Huld for more bitin’ and scratchin’ next round.

I16.1: Hallidor bravely moves up and charges Ratman2. Rolls a “15” and hits easily. Does “7” points of damage. Hallidor can’t help but notice that the wound to Ratman2 instantly heals somewhat; what was initially a blood-squirtin’ bash has turned into a multicolored bruise. This disturbs Hallidor, rather.

“Something’s strange about this one!” Hallidor shouts – not quite confidently.

I12: Juliana charges rat2 as well, going for the trip, rolling a “1” and completely whiffing. Durn.

I7: A second construct from Zaeryl appears and charges rat2 as well, squeezing in. Rolls a “9” and misses. Zaeryl does something else {supply}

I2: Almayce moves up to Raz and heals him 9! Good roll dude.

ROUND 7

I22: Ratman1
I22.1: Ogrin
I22.2: Rasereit
I19: Ratman2
I16: Vargo & Wolf (moved up via readied entangle)
I16.1: Hallidor
I12: Juliana
I7: Zaeryl
I2: Almayce

I22: Ratman1 delays.
I22.1: Ogrin moves up to Ratman1 and kicks hiney. Rolls a “7” and misses.

I22.2: Raz moves around to Rat2 and attacks, still in a frenzy: And, rolls a “1”. Good grief.

I19: Ratman2 and Ratman1 one, after nodding at each other and smiling somewhat evilly, double move as a retreat. They provoke no movement-based AOO’s for doing this… they move 60’ total, in 2 different directions, moving out of the 20’ radius of light, and out of the 20’ radius of shadows – into the deep black. Raz can still see them both, and Almayce can see both of them shadowily (is that a word)? (actually they are both just outside Raz's 60' darkvision, technically).

(picture is of the scene right before the retreat).

So. Combat over unless somebody pursues.

Let me know if you do.

{pursuit happens or not}.

A few minutes after the Ratmen disappear, Vargo remembers hearing a story about such creatures (takes “10” on his knowledge check post Hallidor comment) – and identifies them correctly as WereRats, lycanthropes for sure. (common knowledge re: lycanthropes and silver vulnerability known to all from folklore). Vargo also knows they are highly organized, and not known to attack without reason – nor to give up easily.

WHAT DOES THE PARTY DO AT THIS POINT?

Attachments

• b1_round7_retreat.jpg
    b1_round7_retreat.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 74

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: I suggest that we pursue and kill at least one of them. Otherwise they will just ambush us again. Also, there's no way they can outrun our barbarian, and the double-move escape just sets them up to be charged again and again)

(Round 6: Zaeryl blinks once, then draws and loads his light crossbow)

(Round 7: Zaeryl stands and moves towards the others. The construct, at least, will pursue, and it has a combination of Darkvision and Low-Light Vision that should allow it to follow them quite easily)

"We suggest that we pursue immediately. Otherwise, they will simply kill us later."

Last edited:

Remove ads