(Adventure) M1: Goblin Ears and the MTG (dpdx judging) COMPLETED

Steve Jung

Explorer
Charlarn of Phyrah: Male human cleric 1

Charlarn touches his holy symbol to Nurlan's bow during the surprise round. "May the Searcher guide this weapon."

He then draws his morningstar (move action), then puts his shield up in front of him (standard action: full defense). He yells out, "Surrender in the name of Monemvasia."

Last edited:

Manzanita

First Post
Round 1

You are actually about 80 feet from the goblinoids.

Nurlan releases an arrow at one of the hobgoblins, but it would be a hard shot at that range, and he misses.

The three goblins train their shortbows on the party and release their arrows. It's hard to tell exactly who they are shooting at, since all three miss, but one comes unconfortably close to Irene, deflecting off her translucent defense sheild. The hobgoblins bark at each other in their harsh language, then form up and advance together up the road.

Charlan calls for them to surrender, which doesn't seem to impress them much. Flavius wheels about on his horse, seeming unable to decide whether to stay and fight with the party, or join the retreating little caravan.

Attachments

• fields.JPG
    fields.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

Erekose13

Explorer
Seeing his allies stand together in the face of approaching enemies, Tenebrynn will launch a magic missile at the lead hobgoblin. "I don't think they plan to surrender." he says to Charlarn, prepared to stand next to the man when they come calling.

Gurdjieff

First Post
Taking note of the arrow barely missing her, Irene looks at the oncoming hobgoblins. She starts casting Sleep, hoping to stop their advance instantly.

[OoC: DC 14 Sleep, targeted to hit all 3 Hobgoblins]

orsal

LEW Judge
Nurlan, shortbow +3/1d6+1/critx3 or longspear +3/1d8+3/critx2

If all of the hobgoblins are taken out of action either by the sleep spell or the magic missile, Nurlan will begin the next round with another arrow from his shortbow, at +1 (+1 inspire courage, +1 magic weapon, +1 dexterity, -2 distance) at the nearest goblin.

If any of the hobgoblins is still in action, however, he will forgo Phyrah's blessing, drop his bow (free action), draw his longspear (move action), and ready it against the first hobgoblin to move within its reach, at +3 to hit (+1 inspire courage, +2 strength), doing double damage if the hobgoblin is charging.

All the while, he is singing the second verse of The Heroes of Tagraj, continuing to inspire courage (we all get +1 to attack, damage, and morale).

(OOC: Irene and Tenebrynn seem to have swapped places between the first and second maps. Please clarify.)

Manzanita

First Post
combat (con't)

I switched character positions a bit because it seemed a more logical formation given the actions posted.

Irene begins casting sleep. (This is a full round spell, & will take effect on her initiative on round 2) Telebryn casts magic missile at the lead hobgoblin. His glowing missile leaps forth unerringly, striking the ugly creature squarly with a painful hiss. (4 pts.)

Round 2
Nurlan, seeing the charging villains, whips out his longspear & prepares to defend the company. He is barely able to set his spear in time before the goblinoids are upon them. His spear does take the second hobgoblin full force, skewering it. Surprise and pain cross its dying face before Nurlan jerks his weapon free.

The lead hobgoblin closes and strikes at Charlyn, but the cleric deflects the longsword deftly with his shield. The trailing goblinoid pushes past his fallen companion & swings a roundhouse blow at the bard, ripping through his armor at his shoulder for 3 points dmg. One goblin takes better cover behind the wagon, the other two fire, one striking Flavius as he sits upon his horse, the other flying wide of the party.

Irene’s sleep spell then takes effect, leaving the party with the almost humorous image of their two fierce opponents’ eyes rolling up in their heads, their shouts transforming into snores, as they collapse at your feet.

Telebryn had stepped forward with his staff, he, Irene & Charlan still have full 2nd round actions, Nurlan still has a standard action.

Flavius, wincing from the arrow, and seeing the party’s success, finally makes up his mind, and charges his warhorse at the goblins, shouting “Ha ha! Down with the Jebli!”

Attachments

• fields.JPG
    fields.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

Gurdjieff

First Post
"They'll be asleep for a minute, so let's get those archers first!" Irene says to her party, and she fires a bolt to the closest goblin, and reloading afterwards.

[OoC: Light Crossbow, +5 (3 dex, 1 size, 1 morale), 1d6+1 (small, morale), 80ft. 19 Bolts left]

orsal

LEW Judge
Manzanita said:
Nurlan still has a standard action.

(OOC: Is that true? I thought readying a standard action, such as a spear attack, is a standard action. Or does it not count because the hobgoblin impaled himself?)

In that case Nurlan will leave the spear that had already done its job admirably and pick up his bow again, getting ready to start firing arrows again next round at the goblins, who seem considerably less cocky than 10 seconds ago.

Steve Jung

Explorer
Charlarn of Phyrah: Male human cleric 1

Erekose13 said:
Seeing his allies stand together in the face of approaching enemies, Tenebrynn will launch a magic missile at the lead hobgoblin. "I don't think they plan to surrender." he says to Charlarn, prepared to stand next to the man when they come calling.
Charlarn replies, "I didn't think they would, but I wanted to give them the chance." He steps over the sleeping hobgoblin in front of him and moves forward 60 ft. down the path. (Double move: 2 move actions)

OOC: Charlarn isn't carrying his pack, so his load is light. I'm not sure if I'll be able to post until Monday. Charlarn can attack goblins mindlessly with his morningstar (Atk +1, Dmg 1d8+1) if you want. :)

Last edited:

Manzanita

First Post
Round 2 (con't)

OOC: The impaling of the hobgoblin was an AoA, so it is essentially a free action, is it not? I guess readying a weapon is a standard action after all, as I look up the rules. I'm no rules expert, so I appreciate feedback on this sort of thing.

Charlan charges 60 feet forwards. Irene shoots at Southern Goblin, striking it expertly with her bolt and dropping it.

[Telebryn can still take his 2nd round action]

Round 3
Nurlan retrieves his bow and shoots, but his arrow again goes wide.

Remove ads