[Adventure] Path of Cold (DM: Velmont, Judge: Ozymandias79)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
[sblock=OOC]Dane, Raiyek, Georg, Hadrak, Incarnation, and Sigarr works for single file. Dane/Raiyek, Georg/Hadrak, Incarnation/Sigarr for two abreast (we are outside).[/sblock]

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]That's pretty much what I was thinking too. Good stuff. ;)

On the note of Raiyek's little thoughts there, I just looked up the Endure Elements ritual. (Which, coincidentally, we didn't think to pick up before heading to Viking land, haha.) Being a Canadian and unused to thinking in Fahrenheit, I did the conversions to find out what it keeps you comfortable in ... and holy cow, those are some pretty extreme temperatures![/sblock]

As they walk through the unfamiliar woods, Raiyek feels the chill of the air slowly seep through his cloak and the padding under his armor. The paladin half turns his head, "Sigarr, you are from Valhyr, are you not? How does this land compare to there? Does it get much colder?" he calls back to the half-giant.

I hope it doesn't get much colder,
the paladin muses to himself. That, or I hope Georg has some magic to keep us warm ... yes, let's hope.

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
The group start to follow the trail. The first walk along a single column through the dense forest. As they continue, the trail grow larger and the group can easily walk side by side.

It been over fifteen minutes the group have been walking as Raiyek hears some sounds ahead. He suppose it is some people talking together. From the tone of the voice, they seems to celebrate or at least be joyous, but he can't understand what the voice are speaking about. Also, the sound of a small river make it difficult to even tells what language they are using. But suddenly, shouts of warning and the roar of a creature can be heard. The familiar sound of a battle quickly replace the joy.

As the group move a bit forward, Raiyek spot a group of a dozen bladeling hunters fighting a large lizard creature, with spikes on his back and tails. The creature have already have downed two hunter and seems to have taken a defensive stance over the body of another creature like itself.

The hunter quickly move around the creature and seems to take a formation where two of them engage the lizard to distract it while the others are throwing javelin toward the large beast.

[SBLOCK=Map]Map

- The brown squares are the trail and they are normal terrain.

- The tree's square are difficult terrain and need one extra square to move through.

- The river squares are difficult terrain and need one extra square to move through. Also, moving through or acting wihtin such square need an Acrobatic roll, DC: 10. Upon failure, you fall prone and can continue your action, but with all penalties and restrictions of being prone.[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=OOC]It's your turn. No one seems to have noticed you yet.[/SBLOCK]

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Raiyek is unsure whether to get involved, having no experience with any of the creatures involved. "Does anyone know whether they're friendly or not?" he asks his companions before running towards the battle. "Hail! What's happening here?" he calls to the bladelings. Friendly, with out luck? Not a chance, the paladin thinks to himself as he prepares for an assault.
[sblock=Actions]Minor: draw sword.
Move: to I12
Standard: ready action to charge or attack with Ardent Strike if the bladelings attack.[/sblock]

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Hrm Incarnation mutters noncommittally, though his new wicked blade and rod appear in his hands. He moves forward, wrapping smoke around him in a protective embrace, as he peers onto the field.
OOC: Draw implement, move forward to I14 (gaining concealment), and use Insight to try to understand the situation: 20

johnmeier1

Explorer
Georg moves forward and well, drawing out his staff and tome. I may have heard of those large creatures. thinks Georg.

[sblock=OOC]Draw two implements, move to I13, try monster knowledge check Nature[/sblock]

Velmont

First Post
As Raiyek moves forward and shout at the hunters, one look over his shoulder but seems to ignore the group. A few shouts a few words, but Raiyek seems unable to understand what they are speaking about.

Incarnation analyze the situation and seems to understand a bit further what is happening. The lizard that is laying on the ground seems mortally wounded. The lizard above, which seems a little larger, seems to defend it. It is not rare to see such behavior from a mother to defend his little. The hunters seems to be nervous and doubting of there skill to successfully down the lizard.

Georg identify the creature as a Bloodspike Behemot. It is a large lizard creature, somehow related to other dinosaurs. It is strong and tough and can swipe easily an opponent with his tail. But two things annoyed Georg. Such creature shouldn't live in cold terrain, and the creature have a slightly different feature that leave a doubt to Georg.

It is then he figure it out. Both lizards are feyborn. Some animals are born in the feywild. Such youngling generally develop in larger and stronger creature and gain some feylike powers. It is even possible in some rare case they develop some kind of intelligence, generally equivalent to a young child.

[SBLOCK=Map]Map

- The brown squares are the trail and they are normal terrain.

- The tree's square are difficult terrain and need one extra square to move through.

- The river squares are difficult terrain and need one extra square to move through. Also, moving through or acting within such square need an Acrobatic roll, DC: 10. Upon failure, you fall prone and can continue your action, but with all penalties and restrictions of being prone.[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=OOC]Georg good roll trigger another roll as a free action: Arcana (1d20+13=29). Georg is very knowledgeable.

Hadrak, Dane and Sigarr still up. You can assume your teammate have quickly transfered their new found knowledge to you. [/SBLOCK]

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]So we've got a pair of dinosaurs born in the feywild with child-level intelligence why may or may not be friendly being attacked by a dozen spiky humanoids who seem to want to ignore us, don't speak a language we understand, and may or may not be friendly.

Jeez, way to make it clear which side we're supposed to pick, Velmont. :p

Just to make it clear: I'm at a loss, lol. As a player I lean towards attacking the bladelings to save the dinos, but my love of dinos as a child and past experiences of fighting bladelings as monsters may be biasing that decision. ;) Also, Raiyek has neither of those experiences, so besides bladelings looking slightly sinister by default, he's not really got much to go on and will defer if someone seems to know what to do.

Edit: piecing things together: seems to me that the hunters found the young one, killed/incapacitated it - this was the source of the joyous noise. Then mommy came home, found her dead/dying baby and the hunters, and is going berserk. Sound about right?[/sblock]

Last edited:

Nebten

First Post
Dane puts his axe away and moves next to Incarnation (H14).

Folks gotta eat and moms protect their kin. I say we let nature take its course and pass when they leave.

Remove ads