• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventure: The Power of Knowledge (DM: Fragsie, Judge: TwoHeadsBarking)

JRYoung

First Post
Mikara nods to her companions instructions to seek protective cover and gives Skalisss a warm smile. She would comply with his commands, but not before she paid back blood with blood. With the guard in front of her distracted by Skalisss, and knowing that his divine power was keeping the guard in check, she called to the darkness surrounding her foe, darkening his weak points in her view. Striking with a wide singing motion, her falchion slices cleanly into the human between her and Skalisss while both of their shadows copied their moves, slicing further into the man and opening a great wound. While his blood began to pour, she moved into Skalisss's divine protection.

OOC: Ata boy Kalidrev! Enemies will think twice about taking on a divine challenge, just keep track of who it's on and watch out for other attackers and you should be in good shape.

Skalisss smiles a toothy grin and wonders how one so small cuts so deep...

[SBLOCK=Skalisss' Stat Block]
Skalisss- Male Dragonborn Paladin (Natural Humanoid) 3 Character Sheet
L4Wrequest_09.jpg

Initiative: +1 Senses: Normal P-Perception: 13 P-Insight: 18
HP: 36+5temp/39 SurgeValue: 10 Surges: 11/11
AC:22 Fort:16 Reflex:14 Will:16

Action Points: 1 Second Wind: not used
Resist: none Speed:5
Conditions:
BasicAttack: - "Sunblade", +9 to Hit vs AC, 1d8+5 damage
BasicRangedAttack: - Javelin, +7 to Hit vs AC, 1d6+4 damage, range 10/20

[SBLOCK=Powers]
Valiant Strike
Bolstering Strike
Divine Challenge
Piercing Smite USED
Righteous Smite USED
Dragon Breath USED
Channel Divinity: Divine Mettle
Channel Divinity: Divine Strength
Lay on Hands x2
Healing Word
Paladin's Judgement
Sacred Circle USED
Healing Surge from Dwarven Plate Armor
Motes of Light from Sunblade
[/SBLOCK]
[/SBLOCK]

Fragsie

Explorer
OOC: Indeed they do, I imagine it looks quite cinematic if they stand to either side of the group.
Tinwe, I assumed you meant Bandit 3 rather than Rabble 3.
Just Growl left to act this round.

[sblock=Status]
26 - Human Bandit 1 DEAD
- Human Bandit 2 DEAD
- Human Bandit 3 (29/37) Dazing Strike
- Tomas DEAD
- Human Rabble 1 FLED
- Human Rabble 2 DEAD
- Human Rabble 3 DEAD
- Human Rabble 4 DEAD
- Human Rabble 5 DEAD
- Human Rabble 6 DEAD
- Human Guard 1 (18 Damage) weakened
- Human Guard 2 (17 Damage) weakened
22 - Brother Shane (HP-24/24 Temp-7 S-8/8) healing powers restore +5 hp, Stunned
19 - Growl (HP-20/35 temp-7 S-11/11) +4 AC
12 - Ceryx (HP-21/28 temp-7 S-9/9) Argent Mantle (reroll damage),
11 - Skalisss (HP-36/39 temp-3 S-11/11)
8 - Mikara (HP-20/20 temp-3 S-6/6)

Features of the Area
(skill checks may reveal more information on some of these features.)
  • Pillars
  • Ruins: These crumbled statues are difficult terrain
  • Statues: The three remaining large statues are beginning to crumble with age.
  • Cencers: These braziers cast normal light on the dais.
[sblock=Monster Stats]
Tomas - AC 17 / Fort 17 / Ref ? / Will 16 / HP 86
:close::area:Stone Breaker (recharge 4 5 6) One square of ruins within 2 becomes the origin of a burst 1 or blast 3; +6 vs. Reflex; 1d6 + 1 damage and the target is dazed until the end of Tomas’ next turn.

Bandits - AC 16 / Fort 12 / Ref 14 / Will 12 / HP 37
:branged:Dagger: 5/10; +6 vs. AC; 1d4+3 damage.
:melee:Dazing Strike: (enc) +4 vs. AC; 1d8+1 damage, the target is dazed until the end of bandits next turn and bandit may shift 1 square.

Rabble - AC 15 / Fort 13 / Ref 11 / Will 11 / HP 1
:bmelee:Club: +6 vs. AC; 4 damage.
Mob Rule - Rabble gain +2 P bonus to defences while at least two other rabble are within 5 squares.

Guard - AC ? / Fort ? / Ref 15 / Will 14 / HP ?
:bmelee:Halberd: Reach 2; +10 vs. AC; 1d10+3 damage and the target is marked until the end of the guards next turn.
:melee:Powerful Strike: (recharge 5,6) Reach 2; +10 vs. AC; 1d10+7 damage and the target is knocked prone.

[/sblock][/sblock]

garyh

First Post
Growl shifts away and roars again, and though only one of the guards is battered by the attack, both are unsettled.

[sblock=Mechanics]Move action - Shift to K15.

Standard action - Swarming Locusts, targeting Guard 1 and Guard 2.

Swarming Locust Guard 1 and 2 (1d20+5=9, 1d20+5=24, 1d8+5=11)

Hits Reflex 9 for 11 damage against Guard 1, and hits Reflex 24 for 11 damage against Guard 2.

Effect - The blast creates a zone of swarming locusts that lasts until the end of your next turn. While within the zone, enemies grant combat advantage.

[/sblock]

[sblock=Growl's Info]Growl- "Male" Warforged Druid 2
Initiative: +1, Passive Perception: 20, Passive Insight: 20
AC: 19, Fort: 15, Reflex: 12, Will: 17 - Speed: 6
HP: 20 (+7 temp) /35, Bloodied: 17, Surge Value: 8 (10 in beast form), Surges left: 11/11
Action Points: 2

Powers:
Chill Wind
Savage Rend
Swarming Locusts
Wild Shape

Barkskin
Darting Bite
Second Wind
Warforged Resolve

Faerie Fire
Enduring Beast Hide Armor +1 (Daily)

Full character sheet[/sblock]

Fragsie

Explorer
When Mikara effortlessly steals the life from yet another of his companions, the last Bandit makes straight for her as she tries to regroup with the rest of the adventurers, shouting to the guards at the shrines entrance as he readies his mace;
"She killed Tomas, get her now while we can!"

The depth of guilt flowing through Brother Shane overwhelms him so much that he seems to have completely phased out from the battle at hand and one of the guards runs straight past him without incident and stands between Mikara and her fellows, he swipes at the drow girl's legs with his halberd; cutting deeply into her thighs. She screams in agony at the intense pain but is suddenly silenced as the bandit brings down his mace upon the back of his head. As she falls to the floor unconscious the bandit eyes the only exit out of here and starts to move toward it.

The guard who remained takes a swing at Brother Shane, but his conscience works against him making him hesitate to attack the distraught priest.

[sblock=Actions]
Both guards recharge their powerful strikes
Guard 1 >J13 :melee:Powerful Strike vs Mikara w/CA; hits AC 22 for 16 damage and knocks prone.
Guard 2 J17 :melee: Powerful Strike vs Brother Shane; misses
Bandit 3 >F10 charge Mikara w/CA :bmelee: Mace; hits AC 19 for 7 damage KOing her and shifts to G12
Rolls[/sblock]

[sblock=Status]
26 - Human Bandit 1 DEAD
- Human Bandit 2 DEAD
- Human Bandit 3 (29/37) Dazing Strike
- Tomas DEAD
- Human Rabble 1 FLED
- Human Rabble 2 DEAD
- Human Rabble 3 DEAD
- Human Rabble 4 DEAD
- Human Rabble 5 DEAD
- Human Rabble 6 DEAD
- Human Guard 1 (29/47)
- Human Guard 2 (19/47 ) Bloodied Grants CA
22 - Brother Shane (HP-24/24 Temp-7 S-8/8) healing powers restore +5 hp, Stunned
19 - Growl (HP-20/35 temp-7 S-11/11)
12 - Ceryx (HP-21/28 temp-7 S-9/9) Argent Mantle (reroll damage),
11 - Skalisss (HP-36/39 temp-3 S-11/11)
8 - Mikara (HP-0/20 S-6/6) !! UNCONSCIOUS!!

Features of the Area
(skill checks may reveal more information on some of these features.)
  • Pillars
  • Ruins: These crumbled statues are difficult terrain
  • Statues: The three remaining large statues are beginning to crumble with age.
  • Cencers: These braziers cast normal light on the dais.

Yellow Area - Sacred Circle; +1 AC
Green - Swarming Locusts; enemies grant CA
[sblock=Monster Stats]
Tomas - AC 17 / Fort 17 / Ref ? / Will 16 / HP 86
:close::area:Stone Breaker (recharge 4 5 6) One square of ruins within 2 becomes the origin of a burst 1 or blast 3; +6 vs. Reflex; 1d6 + 1 damage and the target is dazed until the end of Tomas’ next turn.

Bandits - AC 16 / Fort 12 / Ref 14 / Will 12 / HP 37
:branged:Dagger: 5/10; +6 vs. AC; 1d4+3 damage.
:melee:Dazing Strike: (enc) +4 vs. AC; 1d8+1 damage, the target is dazed until the end of bandits next turn and bandit may shift 1 square.

Rabble - AC 15 / Fort 13 / Ref 11 / Will 11 / HP 1
:bmelee:Club: +6 vs. AC; 4 damage.
Mob Rule - Rabble gain +2 P bonus to defences while at least two other rabble are within 5 squares.

Guard - AC ? / Fort ? / Ref 15 / Will 14 / HP 47
:bmelee:Halberd: Reach 2; +10 vs. AC; 1d10+3 damage and the target is marked until the end of the guards next turn.
:melee:Powerful Strike: (recharge 5,6) Reach 2; +10 vs. AC; 1d10+7 damage and the target is knocked prone.

[/sblock][/sblock]
[sblock=Map]
EncounterA1_R4.jpg
[/sblock]

Last edited:

JRYoung

First Post
Skalisss moves to Mikara's aid, clearly the bandit running right past him to attack her angers him greatly. He touches her and Netari's divine glow washes over her closing her wounds. Facing Bandit3 he lets out a challenge.

"We have sssomething to sssettle now."

[SBLOCK=Actions]
Move Action: move G9,H10,H11

Minor Action: Lay on Hands: Mikara gains hit points as if she used a healing surge +4.

Standard Action (convert to Minor): Divine Challenge on Bandit3.
[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=Skalisss' Stat Block]
Skalisss- Male Dragonborn Paladin (Natural Humanoid) 3 Character Sheet
L4Wrequest_09.jpg

Initiative: +1 Senses: Normal P-Perception: 13 P-Insight: 18
HP: 36+5temp/39 SurgeValue: 10 Surges: 10/11
AC:23 Fort:16 Reflex:14 Will:16

Action Points: 1 Second Wind: not used
Resist: none Speed:5
Conditions: +1 AC while in the ZONE
BasicAttack: - "Sunblade", +9 to Hit vs AC, 1d8+5 damage
BasicRangedAttack: - Javelin, +7 to Hit vs AC, 1d6+4 damage, range 10/20

[SBLOCK=Powers]
Valiant Strike
Bolstering Strike
Divine Challenge
Piercing Smite USED
Righteous Smite USED
Dragon Breath USED
Channel Divinity: Divine Mettle
Channel Divinity: Divine Strength
Lay on Hands x2 1 USED
Healing Word
Paladin's Judgement
Sacred Circle USED
Healing Surge from Dwarven Plate Armor
Motes of Light from Sunblade
[/SBLOCK]
[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=OOC]
Counting squares is looks like it would have been harder for Bandit3 to get to the other slide of Skalisss than to the middle of the protective zone, he would have had to go around Skalisss' threatened area. My bad, in the future we should simply use Skalisss as a human shield, with opportunity attacks as a deterrant. Thoughts?
[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Tinwe

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
Oof.

Not trying to cheat, I swear! :cool: I had the feat in my char sheet as Dazed, which, now that I think about it, came from a live game I played where the GM houseruled it as Dazed for another guy. I need to be more careful copying.

This is good, though... it gives Shane a character reason to avoid violence. Seeing one of his companions fall while he's helpless, because he was shocked by killing someone... I like it.

[/sblock]

Kalidrev

First Post
Mikara runs for the safety of Skalisss's divinely protected section to find herself surrounded by two powerful and very upset enemies. Taking a deep wound in the leg, she cries out in pain, leaving herself completely open for a mace to the back of the head. Everything went dark.

[sblock=Dreaming of Darkness]

Mikara finds herself kneeling on the hard marble floor of her guild's main audience chamber. Looking up she can see her guild master sitting on his throne. Shocked, her mouth is left agape while the old man smiled down on her.

"Master Kanto! But how did you find me!?"

The old man walks towards Mikara, his steps still graceful in his advanced age. He places a hand on her shoulder and squeezes gently.

"We have known where you were this whole time, child. Did you think you were leaving us forever?"

"No! I wasn't trying to leave you! I just brought down a lot of heat on that last job and -"

"Shhh. Say no more. We already know. You have followed our tenants perfectly. It was the correct action to take. You have taken another job though, and you are dying. All who have taken our oath come here in death. But your time is not done. We still need you to complete this mission. We need you to expand our strengths." He pauses for a moment while in deep though. "You are not ready for this yet, however. You have much to learn before you can start your own guild. Don't come back to us yet. Stay in this... Daunton and gain strength."

"Yes Master. But how will I go back if I've already come all this way?"

"It will happen all on it's own child. Besides,
we have sssomething to sssettle now."

Mikara looks up at her master when his voice changes. Everything around her began to blur and though she did not realize she had already had them closed, she opens her eyes. [/sblock]

Looking up at the protective form of Skalisss, she thanks the Gods that she had someone to watch her back.

"Thanks." Mikara says, standing up. On the way up, she picks up her large sword and then stares daggers into the guard in front of her.

"You'll pay for that!"

Mikara calls on the guard's own shadows, pinpointing his vulnerable spots. Mikara spins around gracefully, her shadow copying her moves. Both attackers slice downward on the guard and find a weak point in his armor, drawing blood across his chest. Knowing she had hurt him, but not defeated him, she called to her other team members for assistance.

"Ceryx! I got this one locked down! Get behind him!"

[sblock=Actions]
- Minor: Pick up Falchion from the ground.
- Move: Stand up
- Free: Place Assassin's Shroud on Guard 1
- Standard: Invoke Assassin's Shroud and use Shadow Storm vs Guard 1, hits AC 27 for 19 damage.
[/sblock][sblock=Mikara's Stats]
Mikara - Drow Assassin 1
Passive Perception 15, Passive Insight 10
AC 17, Fort 11, Reflex 15, Will 15
HP 9/20, Bloodied 10, Surge Value 5, Surges 6/6
Speed 6, Initiative +5
Action Point 1, Action Point 2; Second Wind

At-Will Powers: Assassin's Shroud, Shadow Step, Shadow
Storm
, Inescapable Blade

Encounter Powers: Nightmare Shades, Shade Form,
Dark Fire/Cloud of Darkness

Daily Powers: Targeted For Death
[/sblock]

Kalidrev

First Post
[sblock=Beating up on bad guys feels good] To Tinwe: Really!? 14 HP!? That's awesome!! How did that come about? *looks at Brother Shane's character sheet* HOLY COW!! Dude... Astral Seal, as an AT-WILL ability, heals Mikara better than if she used her Second Wind! *sees Brother Shane's Healing Word* Oh my good gods! No wonder you said you could heal me to full! 2d6+7!? Awww... and if you used that now after using your daily that's 2d6+12... that's just not right! Dude, you built yourself a sickening healer! No wonder you get stunned for hitting a bloodied enemy!

Well... that's enough of my rant of awe. I'll add the 14 hp to Mikara's sheet. THANKS for saving her butt! (you too Skalisss!)[/sblock]

After calling for help from Ceryx, Mikara could feel a wash of divine energy envelope her. Instantly she felt as she did before this whole battle started. Feeling an instant connection to Brother Shane, she quickly stole a glance at him and blew him an appreciative kiss.

"Thanks, love, I needed it!"

Last edited:

Remove ads