• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventure] The Race of the Five Horns (DM: stonegod, Judge: THB)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Race to the Finish: Battle in the Streets

The Oriens seemed dismayed by the sudden arrival of the Winds, and one of them let loose a magical blast to disable or distract them before rushing aside. The group now had them afoot, but the race was not over yet.

The race is now both a chase and a battle. There are two primary objectives: Outrace the Horns and/or Delay the Horns. These are two separate challenges. In any one "round", a PC may participate in one or the other. Success/failures for each are tallied separately and their consequence measured separately.

Outrace the Horns

Primary Skills

Athletics, Acrobatics, Endurance Run, jump, and tough it out on foot.

Streetwise Determine the best route, find a short-cut.

Secondary Skills

Insight Try to determine the Horn's route by their cues.

Perception Try to catch glimpse of a better route.

Delay the Horns

Primary Skills

Bluff, Intimidate Fient or bully one of the horns.

Make an attack Attempt and attack against the Horns. Any power may be used, but only one per round (one minor, move, or standard action). Melee and close will have more difficulty than ranged or area. An at-will power success counts as 1, an encounter as 2, and a daily as 2 with a +2 bonus to next roll.

Secondary Skills

Endurance Try to get close enough for a better distraction.

Streetwise Try to gain advantage for the next ploy.

Other skills may be used as secondary if a good RP justification is made, but only once.

On Puget Sound

First Post
[sblock=strategy]
Ryk has good numbers for the primary chase skills, and twin strike with boomerang is a reliable ranged +1 and sometimes +2 for the battle. I'll wait and post late in the round, in whichever challenge seems to need the most help. [/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
Vok shakes his head and growls as the blast sends him out of the way of the Apex team. He rushes forward, the half-elf's blood is boiling at the attack and he yells out "By the light of Dol Arrah, I swear I will catch you and wring your necks" he threatens, his voice taking a cold edge and the promise of divine vengeance hands in the air.

[sblock=Delay the Horns check]
intimidate (1d20+12=31) [/sblock]

pathfinderq1

First Post
Rikka rolled away from the Horn's sudden blast, her feline form twisting in the air with uncanny agility. Almost immediately she was back on her feet again, and she lunged forward- she raced with such headlong speed that even her extraordinary balance was barely enough to keep her from skidding on the slick cobblestones...

[sblock= OOC:]
>Acrobatics check (Outrace the Horns) 1d20+10= 22; roll Roll Lookup

>Future questions:
1. Is this the same "encounter", for power use purposes? While we haven't had a rest to regain powers, is Rikka's Fleet Pursuit utility daily still active- and if so does she get a bonus for Speed 12 in a footrace?

2. If she uses the 'make an attack' option, is it just one attack roll, even for area powers? And can she use her Elven Accuracy for a reroll, even though it is an attack as part of a skill challenge?

>Also: I am going to be traveling from early tomorrow (the 6th) until very late Monday or early Tuesday (the 9th or 10th). I expect to have no internet access- if you need to move things along, Rikka will keep trying Acrobatics unless the challenge situation changes. [/sblock]

stonegod

[sblock=OOC]This is the same encounter: Any bonuses are still in place, any powers used have been used.

You can roll up to three times for an area attack but it takes a hit on the majority to count as a "success".[/sblock]

pacdidj

First Post
"By the light of Dol Arrah, I swear I will catch you and wring your necks"

"That's right chumps!," shouts Crush, bolstering Vok's threat. "You can't hope to outrace The Five Winds... take this!" The warforged feints as though to throw his handaxe at the dragonmarked leader of team Oriens, and so convincing is the promise of violence in his eyes that the human flinches momentarily, stumbling and slowing his pace.

[sblock="Delay the Horn's Check"]Intimidate (1d20+16=23)[/sblock]

On Puget Sound

First Post
Ryk takes aim with his boomerang and sends it on an arcing trajectory that sends the Horn's Apex team scattering. Two of the rival runners are forced to dive and roll to avoid the missile, allowing Ryk's team to gain ground.

Attack - twin strike, at-will: 21 and 23, 2 attacks.

"Hm, to be able to teleport so often either the track is rigged, prepared for them, or they have something that enhances their Dragonmark. Attuned shards, perhaps? Let's see...hm..."

Bellegon steps in the way of racing Horns observing them for merest of moments looking for same or similar items on more then one of them. He then spreads his arms wide.

"If you teleport now, I'll follow and, trust me, you don't want to see the drow at the end of teleportation when you appear." he says fairly oozing menace.

As they race toward him he focuses and the area right in front of them turns pitch black and Bellegon steps inside, swiping few amulets from their necks, rings of fingers, bracelets from arms and any other small items that could possibly carry helpful enchantment that he can fairly easy get to.

He then races after the rest of his companions, full tilt running, catervaulting over carts, barrels and other debris, following Rikka.

Thievery (1d20+10=18)

OOC: if this is not acceptable skill, use bluff (+11) or intimidate (+13) for effect of the words spoken.
If I'm unable to post, next round goes to streetwise (+6) or acrobatics (+5) to gain some ground with teleport bonus in case of close failure if applicable.

Last edited:

stonegod

Vok and Crush form a wall of steel and flesh, their fiery gazes and threats causing on of the Horns to misstep and fall. This gives Rikka enough time to scramble up a side-alley filled with debris to make enough of a path for the others to follow. The hook-nosed member of the Horns sees their diversion and the group teleports quickly up above them to gain height advantage, but when the flat of Ryk's Talenta boomerang strikes them, they have to hold up.

The race open up into a small courtyard that Bellegon rushes everyone through while he tries to delay them. He calls on darkness to distract them and see if anything useful can be gained, but they seemed ready for his trickery and scattered like leaves, leaving the drow behind and empty handed.

[All successes except for Bellegon's (nice try though!).]

Status
Catch the Horns: Successes: 4/4; Failures: 2/3

Outrace the Horns: Successes 1/6; Failures: 1/3
Delay the Horns: Success: 3/6; Failures: 0/3

Remove ads