Adventure: The stolen staff (DM: Someone. Judge: Luinnar)

Someone

Adventurer
Suddendly you’re either on fire or on your back. And it hurts a lot.

[sblock=actions]
The altar blocks line of sight, so Lilly’s pattern doesn’t hit the third orc.
Hell hound moves to current position and breathes fire, 15 Vs Shun’s, 27 Vs Vyrna’s and 21 Vs Lilly’s Ref defenses, all hit for 12 Fire damage and ongoing 5 (save ends)
The orc leader moves and used Chaos Hammer on Ryan and Eva hitting Ref 10 and 26 respectively. Eva takes 14 damage and is knocked prone, Ryan 7.
The wounded orc gets up and throws a javelin at Lilly, hits AC 16 for 8 damage
The last orc moves as far as he can and throws a javelin at Vyrna, but hits only AC 13.
Notice that the hellhound has a fire aura (5 damage) Vyrna will go down as soon her turn starts (5 ongoing plus 5 from the aura) unless you do something.
[/sblock]
[sblock=status]
Ryan: 23/31
Lily 10/30, 5 ongoing fire (save ends)
Eva 10/24, Prone
Shun 17/35 5 ongoing fire (save ends)
Vyrna 10/22 5 ongoing fire (save ends)

Orc leader: 38
AC: 16 Fort:14 Ref:13 Will:16 MBA: Spear +7 Vs AC, 2d4+2 damage.
Orc warrior 1: 46, Slowed, grants CA to Lilly
Orc warrior 2: 15/46, Slowed, grants CA to Lilly
AC: 17 Fort:16 Ref:16 Will:14 MBA: Battleaxe +8 Vs AC, 2d6+4 damage and shift 1 square
Hellhound: 92
AC: 19 Fort:16 Ref:16 Will:14 MBA: Bite +8 Vs AC, 2d6+4 damage. Aura 1: enemies take 5 fire damage if they start their turns inside the aura.
[/sblock]
[sblock=terrain]
The central altar and the columns are blocking terrain and provide cover; this means for example that you can’t move from G8 to H9, you must pass through H8 first. The stairs leading to the altar are difficult terrain. The cave is well lit with torches.[/sblock]

[sblock=map]
Staff2-2.jpg
[/sblock]

Karlowitch

First Post
[sblock=Ignore this post]Ryan charges fearlessly the Hell Hound and Randal cheers him on as he attacks the creature. Ryan on the other and aims too high and as he charges, swings right past the agile monster. Desperately trying to spare his comrades from the foul fire surrounding the beast, he tries to push it away but the dog is surprisingly strong and steady on its four feet.

Ignoring the pain from the flames of the beast, Ryan turns to the others " I'll hold the dog, just take care of the others !"

[sblock=Actions]
Minor: Activates Unrelenting Mountain Stance
Standard: Charges hellhound ( hoping to push it away with Iron Wolf Charge ). Does not hit. Ends movement in L7. The hell hound is now marked.
Action Point: Bull Rushes the Hell Hound. Tries to push it to K9. Forgot to add +3 to the attack from action surge but still doesn't hit...

....EPIC fail....
[/sblock]
[sblock=Ryan's Stats]

Ryan Bonebreaker - Male Human Fighter 1
Passive Perception: 12, Passive Insight: 12
AC:18, Fort:17, Reflex:14, Will:13, Speed:5
HP:23/31, Bloodied:15, Surge Value:7, Surges left:10/12
Initiative +1
Action Points: 0 (encounter)

Conditions
Unrelenting Mountain: Ryan enters the Unrelenting Mountain stance. Until the stance ends, Ryan reduces the distance an enemy can push, pull or slide by 2 sq's. While he is bloodied in this stance, he also gains resist 5 all and and cannot be knocked prone.
Powers
MBA: Khopesh, +6 vs AC, 1d8+6 damage (see Combat notes below)
RBA: Javelin, +6 vs AC, 1d6+4 damage, 10/20
Crushing Surge, Weapon Master's Strike
Second Wind, Steel Serpent Strike, Iron Wolf Charge
Villain's Menace, Unrelenting Mountain(Used)

Combat notes:
+2 to attack roll on OAs, OAs stop enemy movement
+2 to damage when Ryan has thp
+3 thp with each successful hit
Marked enemies get -2 to atk's and cannot shift without provoking

[/sblock]
[/sblock]

Last edited:

weldon

Explorer
[sblock=Ignore this Description]Shun staggers from the blast of fire, but then reaches somewhere inside to try and dismiss the pain. As he briefly brushes a hand across the stone floor, water begins to seep from the rock and flows across his hand, up his arm and across his body. The water seems to repair some of the fire damage, and Shun is visibly strengthened. Shun cries out in a strange voice and all hear the sound of waves crashing upon the rocks, thunder over the ocean, and the harsh rushing of the north wind. The water flowing over Shun begins to harden into ice, forming an extra measure of protection to the Wilden.

Ignoring the danger from the hell hound, Shun reacts to Ryan's charge and moves to attack the other orcs. His chain becomes a freezing whirlwind, holding them in place for the moment. The focused concentration on his foes leaves him with little to say...

That hurt... but now it's my turn, you dogs.
[/sblock]
[sblock=Ignore These Actions]Start: 5 damage from starting my turn in the fire aura
Free: Font of Life - save against fire damage from the hell hound's previous attack at the beginning of my turn. 15 should save, no ongoing damage.
Standard: Second Wind - Shun regains 8 HP and +2 to all defenses until the start of his next turn
Minor: Form of Winter's Herald - +1 AC for the encounter, resist 5 cold, 2 square zone of difficult terrain
Move: to L12. Draws Attack of Opportunity from hound and orc 2
Free: Nature's Wrath - marks all three orcs
Action Point: Form of Winter's Herald Attack - against all three orcs. Cold damage, target immobilized (save ends, or only 1 turn on miss)[/sblock]
[sblock=Ignore Shun's Stats]Shun - Wilden Stormheart Warden 1
Passive Perception 18, Passive Insight 11
AC 17 (+1, +2), Fort 16 (+2), Reflex 11 (+2), Will 12 (+2)
HP 20/35, Bloodied 17, Surge Value 8, Surges 12/13
Speed 6, Initiative +0
Action Points: 0, Second Wind
At-Will Powers: Tempest Assault, Weight of Earth, Warden's Fury, Warden's Grasp
Encounter Powers: Roots of Stone, Form of Winter's Herald Attack, Pursuit of the Hunter, Voyage of the Ancients, Wrath of the Destroyer
Daily Powers: Form of Winter's Herald
Utility Powers: none
[/sblock]
[sblock=OOC]Crossing my fingers that AC 20 is good enough to avoid those Attacks of Opportunity[/sblock]

Last edited:

Neil1889

First Post
OOC: I wish Ryan could have pushed the Hellhound to K9 (hehe!).

As I post, I think Shun needs to make his form of Winter's Herald attack rolls and damage. Also, that move may attract an extra attack.

I can't do much to help Vyrna; my heal skill isn't great (want it at Level 4 :(. ). I'll try and be back next turn if nobody else can help. I think I could have ironed all those Orcs togther, but now my next spell I was planning isn't good for friendlies and Shun is there, so something different is called for, whilst the new effect has a potential immobilise like Shun's, I'm stacking it up while I can. I'm going to do a bit of a reaction move that means the javelin that Lilli will miss, though!

Dekana has to go from last round as I type, but I'm going to write a post.

The flames are swiftly beaten out by Lilli, just as the javelin bounces some off magical force that Lilli interposes between her and her assailants.

The psychic feedback from the Hypnotic Pattern adds to Lilli's spellcasting and as luck would have it, the Orc leader positions himself for a share, as Lilli raises her most powerful sorcery agains them; the minds of her foes are filled with the sound of a screaming voice shouting "NO! NO! NO!" over and over in head-splitting cresendo.

Lotte's many eyes begin to glow a bright green that seems more vivid than the ghostly rest of her. As this happens, a film of sticky web appears around the orc's feet, making even more difficult for them to move. An angry snarl, not dismiliar to that of an annoyed house cat is heard by those nearby Lilli.

[sblock=actions]Against that javelin that hit Lilli's AC 16 with a 16, thus temporarily raising Lilli's AC and Reflex to 20: (They'll be higher after the second wind coming up.)

Shield (Encounter Immediate Interrupt Personal Arcane, Force)
Trigger: You are hit by an attack.
Effect: You gain a +4 power bonus to AC and Reflex defense until the end of your next turn.

Lilli's doesn't take 8 points of damage. The fire still hits, though, so ouch.

Saving Throw against ongoing: Roll Lookup Natural 20.

Out comes the ally friendly Daily, targetted at L12.

Feat: Arcane Familiar.

Lotte has this power that will be pertinent:

Enemies take a -1 penalty to saving throws against your arcane powers that immobilise or slow them.

Horrid Whispers (Daily Standard Area burst 1 within 10 squares Arcane, Illusion, Implement, Psychic)
Target: Each enemy in burst
Attack: +7 vs. Will
Hit: 1d6+6 Psychic damage and the target is slowed and takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls (save ends both).
Miss: The target is slowed and takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of your next turn.
Aftereffect: You knock the target prone.

Roll Lookup I :):):):)ing mistyped with a comma instead of semi-colon, so rolled again. Roll Lookup Error message.

Attempt three:

Roll Lookup

Hurrah. :( It's been a long day. I'll be back at midnight GMT tomoorow.

Attack order:

Orc warrior 1, grants CA to Lilli: To Hit = 16
Orc warrior 2, wounded, grants CA to Lilli: To Hit = 24
The orc leader. To Hit = 24

Potential Damage is 9.

Feat: Phantom Echoes: When you use an arcane illusion power and hit a target, you gain combat advantage against that target until the end of your next turn. If the illusion power has an effect that a save can end, you instead gain combat advantage against the target until it saves against that effect.

More cyclic love.

Move: To O13. Orcs will be immobilsed by the Form of Winter's Herald, I sincerely hope. (Edit: Or, perhaps even Spirit Rend!)

ACTION POINT: Second Wind : Lilli spends a healing surge and adds 2 to defences until the start of her next turn.

Get off!

Mini-stats:

Lilli
Female Gnome Illusionist Wizard, Level 3.
Initiative: +1, Passive Perception: 12, Passive Insight: 17. Senses: Low-light vision.
AC:16, Fort: 12, Reflex: 16, Will: 16.
HP:25/30, Bloodied: 15, Surge Value: 7, Surges left: 6/7
Speed: 5 squares. Size: Small. Languages: Eladrin, Allarian, Draconic.
Saving Throw Bonuses: +5 Racial bonus against illusions.
Action Points: 0
Powers:
Ghost Sound
Light
Prestidigitation
Mage Hand
Orb of Deception
Use Vulnerability
Illusory Ambush
Nightmare Eruption
Grasping Shadows
Fade Away
Second Wind USED
Horrid Whispers USED
Shield USED
Hypnotic Pattern [Hypnotic Pattern Attack] BOTH USED

Lilli will use Fade Away if hit by an attack that drops her to 9 or below.

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
GM: Time to clarify a couple points. [MENTION=72432]Karlowich[/MENTION], notice that you couldn't push the hellhound even if you hit. The column is blocking terrain, therefore you can't cut the corner from L8 to K9, So you can't push the hellhound anywhere if you attack from L7. (You're also forgetting your racial power. I shouldn't points things like that, but...)

[MENTION=18817]weldon[/MENTION], there's no way you can move to L12 provoking only from the hellhound and orc2, since the stairs are difficult terrain.

I'll let you redo your actions (keeping rolls) or delay them until the rest of the party make their actions. Edit: I crossposted with Neil, so this means Lilly can act before Shun moves and Ryan after him. It's a difficult spot and coordinating your rounds may be a good idea, even if takes a bit of extra time.

Last edited:

Karlowitch

First Post
OOC:
Neil1889 said:
I wish Ryan could have pushed the Hellhound to K9 (hehe!).
Me too !
Someone said:

Time to clarify a couple points. @Karlowich , notice that you couldn't push the hellhound even if you hit. The column is blocking terrain, therefore you can't cut the corner from L8 to K9, So you can't push the hellhound anywhere if you attack from L7. (You're also forgetting your racial power. I shouldn't points things like that, but...)
Just to clarify things. I was fairly sure I could push the Hell Hound from there, but I read up on it and it says in the Players Handbook you can't cross corners when moving diagonally so I guess you are right.
I didn't use my racial power at the beginning since I hoped I could just bull rush it by using my action point and my action surge feat. Therefore I felt no need to use it at the time. And now it is far beyond late to use that racial power.
If it is okay by you, Ryan charges after Shun makes his attack and charges the Hell Hound so that he ends his movement in M7 and then he tries to push the hell Hound to K8...which fails.

Dekana

Explorer
Eva flips from her back and onto her stomach. Not willing to get up and face another attack, she crawls forward several feet until she has a clear view of the orcs. She scrapes her staff along the ground until it is pointed at the cluster of the beasts. The staff glows a horrible purple-black color, almost shrouding the cavern around her in its power.

The orcs simultaneously drop to their knees and each claw at their throat and chest in pain. One of the warriors wheezes, makes a few squeaking gasps for breath, and then drops dead face first to the ground. The other two orcs writhe for a few more moments before they overcome the pain and stand up once more. The surviving warrior is so shaken up by the ordeal that his legs feel paralyzed. The leader is similarly affected as all strength drains from his feet.

[sblock=Eva actions / stats]Move: Crawl at half speed to N5.

Standard: Spirit Rend centered on L12:
vs Orc 1 hits Will 23 for 14 necrotic damage and it is immobilized (save ends).
vs Orc 2 hits Will 23 for 14 necrotic damage, killing it.
vs Orc Leader misses Will 10. Elven Accuracy reroll hits Will 23. He takes 14 necrotic damage and is immobilized (save ends).
Eva gains 2 THP from hitting with a necromancy attack.
(1d20+6=23, 1d20+6=23, 1d20+6=10, 3d6+5=14. Elven Accuracy: 1d20+6=23)
I forgot to add -2 to all rolls for prone, but amazingly it all still hits.

AP-Standard: Second Wind. Eva spends a surge to regain 6 hp, and she has +2 defenses TSNT Eva.

PC:Eva (Dekana) - L4W Wiki- Female Elf Mage 1
Passive Perception: 17, Passive Insight: 10
AC:15, Fort:12, Reflex:15, Will:13 -- Speed:7
HP:2+16/24, Bloodied:12, Surge Value:6, Surges left:5/8
Initiative +1
Action Points: 0
Conditions
+2 defenses TSNT Eva (not included above)
Prone (-2 to attacks, granting CA for melee attacks, +2 defenses for ranged attacks)

Powers
Disrupt Undead, Ghost Sound, Phantasmal Assault, Restless Dead, Magic Missile
Color Orb, Darkening Flame, Elven Accuracy, Second Wind, Spook
Spirit Rend
[sblock=spellbook]
Darkening Flame, Ray of Enfeeblement
Spirit Rend, Summon Dretch[/sblock][/sblock]
OOC: All done. Post away!
I'm assuming Ryan and Shun delay until after Eva, as per Someone's post. I don't want to hit Shun with the Spirit Rend...

Last edited:

weldon

Explorer
OOC: OK. I'll wait for everyone else to go and then I'll post new actions.

Rules question: does Pursuit of the Hunter allow Shun to shift behind the hell hound as it moves within 2 squares? The RAW don't really clarify. Is it "an enemy begins a move action and starts its turn within 2 squares of you " ? or is it "an enemy moves from one square to another, while it is within 2 squares of you at any point during its turn" ?

It would obviously be great if the Hell Hound's move from K8 to L8 triggered Pursuit of the Hunter and I could both grant CA and avoid the 12 points of damage.

weldon

Explorer
OOC: To the party...

I can't think of a way to save Vyrna. I don't have any way to force the hound to move this round.

Most of my powers are about locking down foes on the battlefield to keep melee enemies away from the squishy players safe in the back lines. I can mark all three adjacent orcs, use some blast 1 encounter powers, and punish them for moving away from me, for as long as I can survive being attacked by three orcs.

I'll let the strikers go first, so they are not restricted. Then I'll try to move in and lock down two or three of the orcs after Vyrna goes

Also, I'm still pretty new to the rules, so I'll definitely take suggestions on tactics. It's probably best to assume that I don't know the best way to use all my powers.

Remove ads