Adventure: The stolen staff (DM: Someone. Judge: Luinnar)

Karlowitch

First Post
CrimsonFlameWielder said:
Thinking Ryan to be addressing her, and miss-hearing "our thirst" as "your thirst", Vyrna responds to Ryan offhandedly.

"Thanks, but I should be okay until tomorrow..."

Ryan's spine shivers once more and his only response is to send her a wary eye
Vyrna can't help but laugh at the irrational fear of an undead creature. An undead head to be more precise.

"Watch out Randal, I think it's using those horrible, spindly little legs to crawl it's way over to you. Watch out for that bulbous, furry body of his!"
" argghhh! Get it away from me! WHY does it have eight legs anyway, it doesn't even make any sense ! " and Randal continues to rant until Ryan strikes the sack hard with his elbow, knocking him out cold. " this should shut him up for a couple of hours. I am sure Randal means no disrespect to ... Lotte? " he explains to Lilli " his fear is after all irrational...with good reason "

[sblock=Randal Flashback]

Deep within the mountains, in the Valley of bones, Ryan and Randal have been sent to check on a couple of miners that have been missing. No one has heard from them in days and last they have been seen was in the mines, harvesting some ore. Our heroes are tracking their way through the mine shafts to their last known location.

" This isnt fair " yawns Randal while stretching his arms " we have been sent here on our day off and I was about to get lucky with Maria!!! ". Ryan standing only a few feat from him gives out a warm laugh " Maria?! The fat tavern wench at McGregors Tavern? " he says making the rogue blush.

" she is not fat... just a wee bit big boned ". Randal sends his friend a wide grin " at least I am having fun ".

Ryan walks a few feet further and picks up a broken pick " aye, but I'd rather not know what the outcome will be when 160 pound guy challenges a 400 pound gal in bed "

The warrior raises his other hand in a fist to warn the rogue about a possible danger " this pick is engraved with the initials of one of the miners gone missing. Can you scout what's up ahead and get back here unnoticed? "

Randal sends Ryan a cocky look " you see these feet " and the rogue wiggles his toes through a pair of holes in his boots " they are as silent as an elf making a fart! " . Boldly he moves onwards " Ill yell if I get in trouble "

Using a small lantern, Randal has found a small clearing which seems to be one of mining champers. Finally he spotted something. In the middle of the room there was a small mining cart. It was nearly full with precious ore but there was no sign of the miners. He found this odd, since no man or dwarf would ever leave a big load like this behind.

Suddenly a noise from above sent a shiver down his spine. Quickly using the lantern he tries to discover the source of the sound but he is without luck. Telling himself that it was just a part of his imagination, he turns around to find Ryan.

Too his surprise, he finds himself staring right into four black eyes of a giant spider, which in return flashes its huge fangs in delight. Screaming like a little girl, he runs directly into a perfectly concocted spider web. Finding himself completely stuck and hearing the spider slowly advancing on him, he lets out a final cry of " CRAAAPP! "

[/sblock]

Someone said:
"There's an ancient stronghold build in the face of a hill which guards the entrance to the caverns under it. It's about a good day's march from here.

"How long will it take us to get there?"

" I believe the good man said it was not more than a days walk from here " Ryan comments.

Turning towards Marit he says " We are ready when you are master hunter " and readies his shield and Khopesh.

Last edited:

weldon

Explorer
Shun moves around the group, always careful to keep an eye on the halfling girl. He moves up next to Lilli and reaches out for the spider on her shoulder.

What a curious creature, Shun whispers to himself. Almost like a crab that is missing its claws.

The spider waves its front legs at Shun, and sensing some primal connection, moves towards him and walks onto his outstretched hand. The spider begins to work at some of the loose seaweed and apparently finds something of interest that keeps it occupied for a time.

Hey now, that tickles little spirit spi-der. The word comes from Shun's tonque a little awkwardly. Let's get you back to your friend here. He places the spider back with Lilli.

Well, I'm ready to set out, assuming the governor finds us ready to do his work. Though, do ye think it would be alright if I walked a bit, instead of riding that hor-se again?

OOC: [MENTION=5656]Someone[/MENTION] - Would it be alright with you if I took SeaGreen for Shun?

Also, this might be a lovely time for a small skill challenge or something to break the ice (or the dice, if you will).

Shun is using the aspect "Pursuit of the Hunter" unless I state otherwise.

Someone

Adventurer
OOC: SeaGreen is fine

Marit leads you up to the forest, leaving behing the plowed fields surrounding the manor. There he gives you instructions to arrive at the stronhold. The terrain is rough, as there are no trails and is steeper at every step, but not difficult to navigate. The sky is turning red when you discern something ahead.

There's a big gate, and at it's side a guard tower, both carved into the side of a 20 foot tall cliff.

The front door is a big, heavy wooden double door set into the rock. A guard tower with arrow slits stands to the right of the door, and a steep slope leads off to the left of the door, heading down into a crevasse in the rock and ending at a pit. The smell coming from that area is terrible.

You can't see any humanoid (or any other creature for that matter) nearby or on the tower, but you're still too far away and there are too many trees in between to be sure.

Karlowitch

First Post
OOC:
To Someone: Are there trees enough so that we can use them as cover? (Idea: move up the to the front door undetected) Or is the path up to the main door barren?

To the group: I really don't like the smell, but it might be the only way in. I doubt we can break through the door if it is guarded :-/.

Neil1889

First Post
OOC: Probably worth mentioning that whilst Lotte is a in familiar's Passive mode, ( that's when she's transparent in game and is very much the default status, with very little reason to become Active at all), she's invulnerable. Mostly, your hand will go through her and she'll scuttle around Lilli's body to be away from you with a bit of a hiss. In the case of Shun, we'll assume Lotte was briefly allowed to become more solid, Lilli thinking that Shun seems a most respectful type and Lotte agreeing.

If there's cover to be had, Lilli will instinctively take advantage of it and be ready to use a racial ability:

Reactive Stealth: If you have any cover or concealment when you make an initiative check, you can make a Stealth check to become hidden.

Lilli hides amongst the trees and undergrowth, but whispers to the nearest companion, "I don't really fancy visiting that place, but it feels like a storm is brewing for the evening too."

Dekana

Explorer
A remarkable change overtakes Eva almost as soon as she steps into the forest. While walking through the plowed fields, the elf takes short, halting steps and looks around suspiciously very often. But once she is surrounded by trees, she walks with a happy strut and occasionally dashes forward to examine flowers and small animals. Marit is forced to look backward every once in awhile to make sure Eva is still following along.

Outside the guard tower, Eva ponders how to get inside. "It's too bad I left my ram on Kythira..." she muses. "He could butt that door open, no problem."

OOC: We could try to make a ruckus outside the door in the hope that someone will open. Or they'd just shoot us through that guard tower. Hmm.
Also, I should really pick my spells for the day. See the stat block below.
[sblock=Eva stat block]PC:Eva (Dekana) - L4W Wiki- Female Elf Mage 1
Passive Perception: 17, Passive Insight: 10
AC:15, Fort:12, Reflex:15, Will:13 -- Speed:7
HP:24/24, Bloodied:12, Surge Value:6, Surges left:8/8
Initiative +1
Action Points: 1

Conditions

Powers
Disrupt Undead, Ghost Sound, Phantasmal Assault, Restless Dead, Magic Missile
Color Orb, Darkening Flame, Elven Accuracy, Second Wind, Spook
Spirit Rend

[sblock=spellbook]
Darkening Flame, Ray of Enfeeblement
Spirit Rend, Summon Dretch[/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
OOC:
To Someone: Are there trees enough so that we can use them as cover? (Idea: move up the to the front door undetected) Or is the path up to the main door barren?

Neither is exact. Looks like there are enough trees and underbrush that someone stealthy could get to the gate or tower without much problems, specially if any hypothetical sentries aren't specially alert, but they aren't thick enough to cover you all the time if you go for a direct route.

Karlowitch

First Post
Neil1889 said:
Lilli hides amongst the trees and undergrowth, but whispers to the nearest companion, "I don't really fancy visiting that place, but it feels like a storm is brewing for the evening too."

Ryan takes cover behind a tree. Once in awhile, he dares to peek at the guard tower and the alternative route " Aye lass " and he nods towards the place " I'd rather not see whats down the in the pit, but if we are to get inside without notice, that's the route we need to take "

Dekana said:
But once she is surrounded by trees, she walks with a happy strut and occasionally dashes forward to examine flowers and small animals. Marit is forced to look backward every once in awhile to make sure Eva is still following along.

During Eva's display of dancing and communing with nature, Randal asks Ryan several times to move the sack to the left or right, depending where Eva is, clearly so to get a better view of her. " Ahhhh... " he says in pure admiration of the elf.

Dekana said:
Outside the guard tower, Eva ponders how to get inside. "It's too bad I left my ram on Kythira..." she muses. "He could butt that door open, no problem."

The warrior looks impressed " ... that must be some ram " he says and takes a look around " we could easily make one with all these trees and our equipment, but that takes time and still gives us no protection from whatever is behind those slits "

Carefully waying the options in his head he finally says " I'd say we wait till dark and slide down in that pit. If bad weather be on its way, we can use that as cover as well. "

Vyrna nods at Randal's idea.

"The cover of darkness would suite us better when trying not to be seen. If you would like, I can scout ahead. I don't need a torch, so it should be much harder for anything down there to detect me."

Neil1889

First Post
Lilli sighs, "I'm also inclined to take our guide's advice and try our luck with the smelly hole, too. I hope there isn't any awkward climbing involved, though. I've never been much good at that, though Lotte does help me somewhat."

Remove ads