Adventurers League Adventures Now Available To All

More details: http://dndadventurersleague.org/changes-to-the-dd-adventurers-league/ Today, Wizards of the Coast announced some changes to the D&D Adventurers League program. You can read the entire announcement on the Wizards website. Here's a summary of the changes as well as some additional information about some of the repercussions. Starting with season 4 all D&D Adventurers League...

More details:

http://dndadventurersleague.org/changes-to-the-dd-adventurers-league/

Today, Wizards of the Coast announced some changes to the D&D Adventurers League program. You can read the entire announcement on the Wizards website.

Here's a summary of the changes as well as some additional information about some of the repercussions.

• Starting with season 4 all D&D Adventurers League adventures will be distributed for purchase through the DMs Guild website and will be available to everyone to play in the official D&D Adventurers League campaign.
  • The hosting of the D&D Adventurers League modules on this website will end with the end of the Rage of Demons campaign.
  • Not all content on the DMsGuild is D&D Adventurers League legal, legal content will have the D&D Adventurers League logo on it.
  • The admins are working on if and how player content would be D&D Adventurers League legal.
  • Conventions that are awarded Premier Adventures will be given complimentary copies of the adventure they're premiering as well as the usual convention support package.
  • The terms Expeditions and Encounter are being retired.
  • The Epics are still convention specials and will NOT be available on the DMsGuild.
  • Any organizer (including for stores and convention) can download a D&D Adventurers League Organizer kit, which will include character sheets, player's guides, as well as custom campaign information, for free.
  • We are working on having magic item certs still be limited to in-store and convention play. More on that, as it develops.
  • New D&D Adventurers League designers will likely be asked to design for the League based on adventure's they've posted to the DMsGuild.
  • All future D&D Adventurers League adventure designers will be paid exclusively through the sales of their adventures on the DMsGuild site with no cap for those payments.
  • Fai Chen's Fantastical Faire will still be offered to conventions and game-days that invite an admin or RC.

Feeroper

Explorer
Some additional details about the Dungeon Master's Guild and D&D Adventurer's LeagueL have been revealed. The Adventurer's League adventures will now be available for anybody to download (meaning that there is now a constant stream of short adventures supporting 5th Edition). Not only that, but anybody can now run a DDAL in any location - previously only game stores and conventions were eligible. There are currently 44 adventures available, ranging in price from $2.99 to $3.99.

DnD_ADVL.png

The D&D Adventurers League is how fans of D&D can congregate, play through weekly adventures produced by experienced writers keyed into our big storylines, and track their character’s exploits. In the past, organized play through the D&D Adventurers League, as well as access to the adventures produced for the program, has been confined to gaming stores and conventions. But now everyone can participate in the fun!

Starting with the next season, anyone can download a free D&D Adventurers League kit from the new Dungeon Masters Guild marketplace and organize an event. Any location will do, and we’d love to see organizers set up games in interesting settings. How about a D&D Adventurers League game in an abandoned castle? Or in a museum? Or in a hot air balloon?

We also listened to the D&D fans who wanted more bite-sized adventures to pick up and play with their group in a pinch. All of the adventures created for the D&D Adventurers League going forward will be available to all fans of D&D. The Dungeon Masters Guild is now the hub for distributing D&D Adventurers League content. You can download PDFs of the adventures released periodically for a just a few dollars. Check out what’s available right now from previous Adventurer’s League seasons at dungeonmasterguild.com

There’s one more thing: To clear up some confusion, we are no longer using the terms “Expeditions” or “Encounters” in organized D&D play – it’s all just called the D&D Adventurers League.

Attachments

• DnD_ADVL.png
    DnD_ADVL.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 12,299
Last edited by a moderator:

Inxanity

Explorer
Good, good. Now that AL can be played at home in private, I am sure we are going to see lots of players with Matt Mercers Blood Hunter (since that is also on DMguild site) characters show up at conventions. "But it was legal at my home AL game, hur hur."

Yeah, I am a bit cynical.

Michael Long

First Post
Wondering if this will severely reduce the amount rule restrictions over player races/class options that are part of the rules. Maybe even throw them out the window.

Playing an Aarockra Monk at an organized play event...

Scorpienne

First Post
Wondering if this will severely reduce the amount rule restrictions over player races/class options that are part of the rules. Maybe even throw them out the window.

Playing an Aarockra Monk at an organized play event...

I hope not. Given that the player guidelines for the first three seasons were VERY rational, I don't expect they'll just allow everything in the next season. :)

p

Steve_MND

First Post
Yes its official it is now PAY TO RUN Adventurers League.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing; Pathfinder Society is extremely popular, and has been doing essentially the same thing using a very similar model for years now.

Good, good. Now that AL can be played at home in private, I am sure we are going to see lots of players with Matt Mercers Blood Hunter (since that is also on DMguild site) characters show up at conventions. "But it was legal at my home AL game, hur hur."

Agreed, this is a potential concern. Unfortunately, this sort of stuff will only make an extremely loosely-regulated campaign into an even harder-to-manage extremely loosely-regulated campaign, as more and more stuff starts floating around out there shoulder-to-shoulder with "official" AL material.

We'll have to see how things progress over the next few days and weeks. Kinda wish this was announced a little earlier, as this will possibly have an impact on whether or not some people will go to GenCon for the AL; I know it'll have to factor into my decision whether or not to get a badge and room next week.

Remove ads

Remove ads