• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Advice on an Archer

Bob5th

First Post
I'm looking for advice on building an archer for the Savage Tide campaign I'm playing in. Starting level is 10th. I tinkered around a Fighter/Ranger/Order of the Bow Initiate build and seems kinda week on paper so I don't think I'm going to finalize it.

I've been looking into a Cleric Archer but I'm not real sure how to build one.

Any advice or builds for any type of archer would be welcome.

Allowed books are any 3.5 WotC books.

The current party is a Vow of Poverty Monk, Wildshaping Druid, and a Bard with a +9 inspire courage.

nittanytbone

First Post
You need four things to be an archer:

1 - Longbow Proficiency
2 - PBS
3 - Precise Shot
4 - Rapid Shot

Zen archery can be helpful, but only if you're focusing on WIS. Archers need Dex 13 (for Rapid Shot) and high STR (for damage), so pumping WIS may or may not be practical for you.

Look into the Elf domain to get PBS; elves also get MWP with longbows, so that's two problems solved.

The Radiant Servant of Pelor gets MWP, so that works as well. Being a human nets you the bonus feat.

At this level, Quicken Spell is very handy (for Divine Favor).

Divine Might is your bread and butter. I'd suggest buying two bows, one which is sized for your unbuffed STR and one which is designed for your buffed STR.

Try to find something to do with your extra Turn Undead attempts. DMM is always popular (DMM Persistent or DMM Quicken, especially), but other Divine Feats are quite handy as well. I like Divine Vigor, myself, especially for an archer -- the mobility is great.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Cleric Archers ruled the 3e landscape, because greater magic weapon (bow) stacked with greater magic weapon (50 arrows).

These days, Cleric Archers are merely excellent instead of insanely overpowered. :)

Cleric Archer build:

1/ Be an Elf; and
2/ Take two Domains which give you archery feats (this is setting dependent); and
3/ Take a few archery feats (Rapid Shot, Craft Magic Arms & Armor); and
4/ Enhance your bow with greater magic weapon every day; and
5/ Prepare the right spells.

You need to be about 8th or 9th level before the Cleric Archer really takes off. Starting at 9th level, you can take Quicken Spell to quicken divine favor, and then you're golden.

- - -

General archery: if you can use the spells from Spell Compendium, consider a straight Ranger following the archery combat style.

If you have access to feats from PHB-II, you'll want to snag Weapon Specialization somehow. The Favored Soul is an interesting choice, if you start at 12th level. Weapon Specialization and BAB +9 means you'll qualify for Ranged Weapon Mastery. You can also use many standard Cleric tricks (except Quickened divine favor, of course).

An unusual build is the Barbarian 1 / Bard. The synergy is surprisingly good -- Bardic music adds to your attack and damage (with damage being the number most archers have trouble boosting); your Barbarian level helps you survive a surprise melee, and also helps you run away faster.

Cheers, -- N

Darklone

Different archer types have been mentioned... I skip the bard archer because you already have one of those and your archer is going to enjoy that buddy since extra damage to your full attack actions are the most important thing to any archer build except for the scout/ranger heading for Greater Manyshot.

My favorite archers:
- different bard archer builds.... as mentioned, you already have a bard and you won´t need to cast Haste yourself... if you do, get boots of speed.
- scout3 or scout4/rangerX with Swift Hunter. If you put the feats well, you can get Greater Manyshot with the scout level 4 bonus feat. Choose nice ranger spells for archery from the complete series and don´t forget Imp Skirmish. We currently have such a hobgoblin archer in my game, he kills everything even though he doesnt have Gr Manyshot yet.
- cleric archers need Divine Metamagic Persistant... otherwise you spend too many rounds with buffing to be really effective.
- druid archer. Elf is best for proficiency. The druid archer can use ground control spells and summoned monsters nicely to keep the enemies away, with a good bow (where he can spend all his money except for boots of speed) he dishes out nice damage while he can have all the nice emergency spells prepared (plus curing) that most other druids can´t afford.
- I´ve always wanted to try a paladin archer with Divine Might... and perhaps Battle Blessing for swift Divine Favor (dont forget Practised Spellcaster). Good BAB, Rapid Shot and Haste will give that one many attacks pretty fast and the extra damage is sweet... plus that crazy bard +9 bonus you mentioned.
- sneak attack archer. Well... rogue builds with magic handcrossbows, Crossbow sniper and all the rest... or a typical longbow fighter4/RogueX build heading for Ranged Weapon Mastery.

Most important thing for all archer builds: Don´t forget strength (only exception the skirmish or sneak attack archer). Str 16, dex 18 are nearly a must have, con can be a bit lower.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Darklone said:
Different archer types have been mentioned... I skip the bard archer because you already have one of those
Ah, very good point. I missed his party composition.

Since there is no other Cleric in your party, going Cleric Archer is a wise move, IMHO. You'll need someone to cast greater magic weapon on your bow every day starting at 8th level anyway. Make sure the Bard learns haste! :)

Cheers, -- N

sdt

First Post
I'll also speak for the usefulness of the Elf Cleric archer, although I can see an Elf Druid archer being fun too. It's nice to be useful when you can't use your bow.

nittanytbone

First Post
Venator said:
the straight fighter archer is pretty nasty as well.

Go with the cleric.

The cleric archer is a perfectly capable ranged combatant, especially with that huge Inspire Courage bonus stacked with Divine Favor. Moreover, you are still a fully functioning cleric! That means that given 9 hours to prepare spells, you can be useful in ANY situation. Clerics don't always have the best spell for everything, but they definitely have a spell.

Throw a half rank into Disable Device, and you can fill the party rogue role as well with Find Traps and Divine Insight spells.

Last edited:

Remove ads