• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Age of Worms: Act I - The Whispering Cairn

unleashed

First Post
Orin Heartwood, Male Half-Elf Ranger

Having heard exhortations like this from the follows of Heironeous before, he listens in silence knowing to talk will only invite more words about this foreign god. Hoping to get under cover before the storm hits Orin reaches for the handle and turns it, anticipating that no one has locked the door or taken up residence since the last time he an Venelle were here he prepares to enter.

hippocrachus

First Post
At least now he knows he has a choice... he thinks to himself when the man offers nothing back.
"I would warn against that!" he states loudly before the archer has the door open. "It does no good to invite yourself in to another's home," he says in explanation before a reply could be made.

unleashed

First Post

“It has been abandonned for quite some time, I don’t think anyone is going to care,” Orin replies, continuing his attempt to open the door.

Verbatim

Explorer
If it was possible, Khellek's scowl only grew more severe as Damien fought his battle with the coat rack behind him before offering up a sheepish explanation of how he came into possession of the map.

"A contest you say? Who was it that you won it from boy, and know that I will know if you lie to me. The ring I wear allows me to detect all falsehoods spoken in my presence so choose your words wisely."

Khellek's dark brown eyes seemed to bore into Damien as the silence in the establishment only deepened as the two men stood conversing at the door.

Last edited:

hippocrachus

First Post
Chryse looks taken aback at the archer's declaration. He stares a moment in disbelief. Even though he suspected the condition of the building to be nothing short of abandonment, surely Apollo would not send him to aide those that do not exist?
A look of apprehension on his face, Chryse watches the archer carefully as he makes to enter the so-called abandoned building.
What this portends, I know not.

Majin

First Post
Damien stared at the ring on Khellek's finger for a long moment, thinking. Was he being taken for a fool, or did this man actually have such an item? He had heard of such things before, but to his knowledge, had never actually seen one. Damien shook his head. He decided it was best not to take a chance; to anger this man any more than he already seemed to have. He was already in enough trouble, with so many witnesses around; especially if his father found out.

"An elven woman who calls herself Tirra, or something," he said quietly. "She and a few companions have been in town the past few days," he went on, before quickly adding, "I don't know where they came from or why they're here! I just beat her in a game of Rings that's all!"

Verbatim

Explorer
As the cloaked figure tries to push the door open, for the first time Chryse can hear movements behind the door. Suddenly the door jerks open, momentarily catching both strangers off guard, as they see a discarded wooden beam on the floor to the side of the door and in front of the beam two short snarling humanoid figures armed with rusted spears and yelling at them in their gibbering language.

Behind the figures two other of their kind frantically begin screaming along with them and pointing to both the roof and to a room further in the building.

Init:
Orin - 11
Chryse -11
Goblins x 4 -1

Last edited:

unleashed

First Post

Not understanding the small humanoids’ tongue, but understanding their intent Orin steps back and out of the doorway while drawing an arrow, which he fires into the foremost combatant.

OOC: 5 ft. step diagonally out of the doorway, clearing the area for Chryse, before firing his longbow. +4 ranged [1d8; 20/x3; 100 feet; piercing; longbow] -- [+1 to hit and damage within 30 feet]

hippocrachus

First Post
Not usually one to take up the notion of purging Evil, Chryse doesn't immediately attack the goblins; but as it becomes quickly more apparent that they are neither friendly nor alone, he stabs his spear at the closest screaming goblin with all the wrath he can muster at such short notice.

[sblock]Attacking the goblins. Shortspear: 0 (1d6) x2. AC: 16.
I don't know whether I should be relieved or worried...[/sblock]

Verbatim

Explorer
Majin said:
Damien stared at the ring on Khellek's finger for a long moment, thinking. Was he being taken for a fool, or did this man actually have such an item? He had heard of such things before, but to his knowledge, had never actually seen one. Damien shook his head. He decided it was best not to take a chance; to anger this man any more than he already seemed to have. He was already in enough trouble, with so many witnesses around; especially if his father found out.

"An elven woman who calls herself Tirra, or something," he said quietly. "She and a few companions have been in town the past few days," he went on, before quickly adding, "I don't know where they came from or why they're here! I just beat her in a game of Rings that's all!"

Khellek paused at the mention of Tirra's name and while the scowl did not leave the man's face, it did soften slightly.

"It would be her that would wager something whose value she had no true measure of, and to wager it on something as crude as a game of Rings."

As the man's posture seemed to relax slightly, the patrons in the bar slowly turned back to their own tables and conversation began to fill the gaming hall once more.

"Well since you came here for a game of high stakes and while I will admit it is a bit unorthodox for a man to have to gamble on something that was already his not three hours ago, it seems tonight is a night for out of the ordinary things."

Reaching into his cloak, Khellek pulled several gold pieces from its depths.

"Now I do not wish to insult your status, but judging by the cut of your shirt and the muck on your boots, I would hazard a guess that you do not often have a chance to come into Lazare's and play dragonchess that often. How about I wager these coins I have in my hand, for the map you hold in yours. If you win, the map is yours and you are doubly richer for the experience. If I win, all you have lost is something that was never meant to be yours. Does that sound reasonable to you?"

Remove ads