• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Age of Worms: Act I - The Whispering Cairn

Majin

First Post
Damien's eyes shone at the gold coins held in Khellek's hand. It was no often that he saw such coin, let alone the full amount be his own. He also relaxed a bit and nodded at the man. "You're on," he answered, his trademark grin growing again across his face.

Verbatim

Explorer
Taking a step backwards from the advancing goblins, the young half-elf makes the act of drawing back his bow under pressure seem as easy as drawing breath. With the same ease, he targets the goblin just to the side of the door, allowing the other man full rights to the goblin in front of him and releases the arrow with a slight exhaling of breath. The red fletched arrow struck true, another testament to the ranger's skill with the bow, lodging itself in the goblin's shoulder and nearly knocked the smaller creature down from the force of the impact.

Chryse feinted with his spear slightly and watched as the goblin flinched and recoiled slightly before he realized the human had not truly lunged at him. However, before the creature could regain its balance fully, the sharp steel of the spear buried itself in the goblin's heart, killing it instantly.

The killing stroke would cost Chryse dearly as he could not pull his spear free, as well as regain his defense before the goblin charging them from the room threw his spear at the human intruder. The rusted blade struck the young priest of Apollo in his thigh and pain exploded through his body, making him stagger back a step.

The goblin with the arrow lodged in its shoulder staggered slowly towards both intruders and sought to finish off the more wounded of the pair and although his strike would have not normally gotten through the defenses of the priest, this was not a normal time.

The rusted blade hammered into, and through, the scale armor biting into the flesh beneath and although the goblin lacked the strength to pull the spear out, the damage was done. Like an oak falling to the woodman's axe, the priest of Apollo fell to the ground, his lifeblood mixing with the mud and the rain.

The last goblin continued its quest towards the back of the front room and continued to scream at the top of its lungs to someone, or something, that Orin could not see.

OOC Combat:[sblock] I edited the Init to account for everyone's bonuses. Sorry about not getting those factored into the stirge battle. Here are the results of the dice rolls for round one. Orin rolled a 19 to hit, 4 to damage on Goblin 2. Chryse rolled a 18 to hit, 6 to damage to Goblin 1, killing it. Goblin 2 and 3 both rolled 18s and 6s with to hit and damage against Chryse, bringing him to -3 total. Chryse is now dying. Goblin 4 retreated to back of room, out of clear bowsight unless Orin moved back towards the doorway to get his shot in. Man, who would have thunk the dice loved everybody this morning.[/sblock]

Last edited:

unleashed

First Post
Orin Heartwood, Male Half-Elf Ranger

Making sure he is clear of the humanoids’ spear, he fires at it again knowing that if he drops the last armed creature within range he may be able to drag the armoured man away and staunch his bleeding.

Verbatim

Explorer
Khellek's scowl softened further and slid into the predatory grin that Damien had seen too many times while playing dice or cards with the folk in town. It was the smile of a man who had just been dealt all Five Rulers and knew that victory was only a moment away from being theirs.

Motioning to the dwarven doorman, Khellek waited until a few more eyes had turned away from them before speaking.

"William, a set of house chess pieces please. I know it is customary for me to use my own pieces, but I do not want our friend here to think I have an unfair advantage over him."

As the dwarf walked into the heart of the parlor to fetch the set, Khellek turned his back to you and began walking towards his table, taking it for granted you would follow him, and when you did reach his table motioned for you to sit and took a careful sip of the wine that was waiting for him.

"I am willing to allow you a chance to save face young man. I will give you half the coins now for the map, and you may waste them away as you see fit. It is rare that I am this lenient, but I do remember what it was like to be headstrong and foolish once. None would fault you for taking the coin boy, and there are many pleasures to be bought with gold in this town."

Verbatim

Explorer
Keeping his composure as best he could, Orin focused on the lessons Venelle had drilled into him since he had began working with her. Knocking another arrow quickly, the ranger's aim was true once more and the arrow slammed into the creature's chest with a killing shot.

The charging goblin was not able to move out of the way of his slain kinsman and as the dead goblin fell, he fell as well. Struggling to get to his feet as fast as he could.

The goblin in the rear continued to cast glances in your direction, and as Orin's keen ears heard a door slam from inside the office, he did not know if it was a good sign or bad.

OOC Combat: [sblock]Orin rolled 18 to hit, 5 to damage. Goblin 2 slain. Goblin 3 rolled a 1, then another 1 for critical failure. Prone, but will rise next round. Goblin 4 at rear and wanting no part of this combat it would seem. Chryse is at -4hps now.[/sblock]

unleashed

First Post

Seeing little choice as he won’t get far without doing so, Orin drops his bow and draws his greatsword, stepping to the fallen humanoid which looks as if it’s about to rise he tries to finish it with one blow of his mighty blade.

OOC: +3 melee [2d6+3; 19-20/x2; slashing; greatsword]

Verbatim

Explorer
As Orin brings the greatsword down atop the goblin, there was little resistance when the steel of the blade met the creature's spindly arms, then its torso. Raising the blade up once more, Orin saw the sickly green color of the goblin's blood dripping from the blade, as well as the look of pure terror from the now hysterical goblin at the back of the room.

OOC Combat:[sblock]Orin rolled a 17 to hit, with a 1+5+3 for a total of 9 damage. Goblin 3 is slain. Goblin four is cowering beside a wooden door in the back of the living room area. Chryse is now at -5 hps.[/sblock]

unleashed

First Post

Feeling safe enough with the last humanoid cowering at the back of the room, Orin puts the point of his blade into the wet earth as he tries to stop the bleeding on the follower of Apollo.

OOC: Heal +2 (Wis only)

Verbatim

Explorer
Ripping the man's tunic to make makeshift bandages, Orin sets to the grisly task of pulling the rusted spears from the man's body. Working rapidly as the flow of blood escaping will only increase once the wounds are not blocked, Orin pulls them out quickly and packs the gaps with the soaked shirt. While the bandages are not the best, you think they will work until you can find a better place, and conditions, to properly set the wounds.

OOC:[sblock]Heal check roll 18, for total of 20. Chryse is now stabalized. Goblin 4 is still cowering in the back.[/sblock]

Majin

First Post
Damien considered the man's offer for only a moment, before shaking his head slowly. "We will play for the full amount," he said, with confidence. Then he waited in silence for their pieces to be delivered.

Remove ads