Pathfinder 1E airwalkrr's Rise of the Runelords AE PBP Reborn! [OOC]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Ahh, I just assumed those traits were correct on the PFSRD. Oops.

Anyway, I will probably take Eager Performer or Scholar of the Ancients instead, but it really depends on what the final build looks like if it matches.

The character generation for the bard will not take me that long as I have couple of bard sheets already made. Bards can go a couple of different ways and there are also a few archetypes that make a difference.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Welcome back, airwalkrr.

I'm interested. Can I use my character from the original game?
Howdy, kinem! Good to hear from you again. You are welcome to use Duko to fill the arcane slot if you like, although I believe your original plan was to use him as more of a melee type. If you and perrinmiller work together, you can both probably cover the arcane bases. Just make sure to retrofit Duko to fit the character creation rules this time around since they are a little different. The wooden armor is okay, but let's nix the barbed vest. Using the Armor as Damage Reduction rule it will rarely come into play anyway. Might I also suggest swapping the Weapon Focus feat for something different. Again, because of the Armor as Damage Reduction rule you shouldn't have as much difficulty hitting targets. You might prefer to invest in something like Power Attack instead. Up to you though.
Name: Thrindar
Race: Dwarf
Class: Cleric
Role: Divine
Description: Rather short by dwarf standards, he is easy going and talkative unlike many of his brethren. He loves to start lengthy conversations about religion and the like. He keeps his face clean shaven another odd quirk that sets him apart from his brethren.
Campaign Trait: Student of Faith
Howdy, Tailspinner! Glad to have you aboard. A clean-shaven dwarf, eh? That's bound to raise some eyebrows.

Ahh, I just assumed those traits were correct on the PFSRD. Oops.

Anyway, I will probably take Eager Performer or Scholar of the Ancients instead, but it really depends on what the final build looks like if it matches.

The character generation for the bard will not take me that long as I have couple of bard sheets already made. Bards can go a couple of different ways and there are also a few archetypes that make a difference.
You know what, Outlander (Exile) is fine if you still want to go that route. The RotRPG actually does mention the campaign traits from the APG for Shadows Under Sandpoint as being acceptable so if you'd still like that trait, it's okay with me. Since Magnimar comes into play later in the campaign, you might want to detail the circumstances of his life before coming to Sandpoint in a bit more detail when character creation is done though, if for no other reason than to give him ties to the region. The primary purpose behind campaign traits is to give the characters a sense of belonging to the setting, and give them a stake in the events to come.

We have four completed character concepts now. That sure didn't take long! So here is the line-up to summarize:
Arcane: Duko, half-orc summoner some melee focus played by kinem
Divine: Thrindar, dwarf cleric who shaves his beard played by Tailspinner
Battle: Kelvyn, human fighter specializing in two-handed weapons played by Mowgli - Backup: SelcSilverhand
Troubleshooter: Jamir, human bard boisterous and orphaned played by perrinmiller

The primary weakness of this group appears to be in the arcane department. However, with a bard serving as Troubleshooter, this shouldn't be too much of a problem. I imagine the summoner could focus on buffing while the bard could focus on enchantment and illusion. But I will leave the particulars up to the party. How about we set a soft character sheet draft submission deadline for 17-Nov and a tentative start date of 24-Nov. For those of us in the USA there is a major holiday coming up soon I'll be flexible.

For all the players, where would you prefer to store character sheets? Shall I create a rogue's gallery thread or can anyone think of a preferable alternative? EN World has a functioning wiki now which might work. I'm open to anything that you guys prefer.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Cool, I can be ready even sooner.

Considering that a bard is going to have to cover trapfinding, can I get a little help with one? Outlander (Exile) works fine, but if I can take a Drawback Pride to pick up Vagabond Child (for the +1 Disable Device bonus and class skill) we are set for skill monkey and arcane. For some reason there is no Bard archetype that provides trapfinding; the closest is Archeologist but is still doesn't get Disable Device as a Class Skill. With a melee summoner, a vanilla bard works better for filling the caster role in the party.

kinem

Adventurer
I like the Duko Wrag character but somehow it doesn't feel right to start over with him. I think I'll make a half-orc wizard instead.

Name: Nuko Wrag
Race: half-orc
Class: wizard
Role: arcane
Description: Nuko Wrag grew up in Rogan, a small settlement in the hills which contained a mix of humans, half-orcs, and some full orcs. He was different from the others, but strong enough to win respect. When giants destroyed the town, he trained harder, hoping for revenge. Recently he heard rumors of giant activity and he headed to Sandpoint, intending to help in its defense if it were attacked.
Trait: Giant Slayer

As for character sheets, my preference as always remains a Rogues' Gallery with text posts. I find that filling in pre-formatted online sheets takes a lot more time and effort and results in worse sheets that have limited space for certain things and are hard to revise.

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Would an alchemist based summoner of the beastmorph archtype or Synthesist archetype work here?

Dr. Jeckyl: Neutral good
Mr Hyde: Chaotic Neutral

To change he would drink a potion and morph into the Synthesist creature

as the summoner only perhaps as a 'dressing' of the spell casting it would be a drinking of a potion though ???

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Sorry, but I not a fan of text based character sheets. They do not look so good in comparison and do not have automatic calculations. MW sheets might not be perfect, but they are functional enough. But, I still think there needs to be a Rogues Gallery thread to link the on-line sheets to regardless.

Here is my Bard: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1053565

[sblock=Jamir's Background]Jamir grew up as a vagabond child after his parents were killed. Rumor had it that it was an accident, but he was never really sure what happened. He was too young and was not present. Any adults in the neighborhood that actually knew the truth had determined that the small child did not need to know such things.

He lived on the streets of Magnimar relying on the compassion of some and taking what he could to survive and eat. He was able to sneak into places at night and steal scraps without arising suspicion. Like most street urchins, survival meant being quick on his feet and sticking together with other kids to combine efforts.

As he got older, Jamir was finding that he was capable of more than general thievery. He had a way with words and some folks found his stories entertaining. He was developing an innate aptitude for practicing magic. However after learning a few tricks, he started hiding the other spells he was capable of casting. The gang leaders would have taken steps to keep him in their control and taken away his freedom if they learned he could do more than a few parlor tricks.

Jamir did not want to be tied to a gang at all, looking at becoming more than a street thug in Magnimar. He actually wanted to get out and see more of the world.

Surviving his teenage years had been a continual struggle to avoid being taken by a thieves' guild and scrounging enough coin to feed himself. Learning to provide some entertainment in the taverns proved to be the solution. He was able to do well enough to feed himself and secure lodging on a regular basis without having to steal any more.

By the time he was 18, Jamir had earned enough to pay for some weapons training from a retired gladiator and buy some decent gear. He even had a small amount of saving starting to build up.

Unfortunately, all of that changed when one of gang leaders he had often rejected and eventually had to turn in to the Guard to get him off his back was free once more. He came looking for Jamir with some of his thugs. Jamir booked passage on a small coastal trader to flee the city with what he could carry. The ship had stopped off at Sandpoint and that was all the farther his gold could take him, since he was unable to pay for the passage onwards to Korvosa.[/sblock]

Pending the results of my request in the post above, I am ready to start whenever.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Cool, I can be ready even sooner.

Considering that a bard is going to have to cover trapfinding, can I get a little help with one? Outlander (Exile) works fine, but if I can take a Drawback Pride to pick up Vagabond Child (for the +1 Disable Device bonus and class skill) we are set for skill monkey and arcane. For some reason there is no Bard archetype that provides trapfinding; the closest is Archeologist but is still doesn't get Disable Device as a Class Skill. With a melee summoner, a vanilla bard works better for filling the caster role in the party.
The drawback and trait trade-off sounds fine to me. Although it looks like kinem is going with a wizard instead so you might not need to be as arcaney.

I like the Duko Wrag character but somehow it doesn't feel right to start over with him. I think I'll make a half-orc wizard instead.

Name: Nuko Wrag
Race: half-orc
Class: wizard
Role: arcane
Description: Nuko Wrag grew up in Rogan, a small settlement in the hills which contained a mix of humans, half-orcs, and some full orcs. He was different from the others, but strong enough to win respect. When giants destroyed the town, he trained harder, hoping for revenge. Recently he heard rumors of giant activity and he headed to Sandpoint, intending to help in its defense if it were attacked.
Trait: Giant Slayer

As for character sheets, my preference as always remains a Rogues' Gallery with text posts. I find that filling in pre-formatted online sheets takes a lot more time and effort and results in worse sheets that have limited space for certain things and are hard to revise.
Players are welcome to use whatever sheets they feel comfortable with. I don't mind if different players use different sheets so long as the information is reasonably organized. I was mainly asking for the purpose of a central location to store the sheets. If a Rogue's Gallery thread is a good place to everyone to store the sheets as text or links to the sheets themselves, that's great.

If storing a link, I would ask that you see if there is a way to display a snapshot or something of that nature in the thread so I don't necessarily need to follow the link. I like being able to look at all character sheets on one page. If you're linking to something like a jpg of a pdf snapshot, it would probably preferable to put it inside a a spoiler block to reduce load times.

Would an alchemist based summoner of the beastmorph archtype or Synthesist archetype work here?

Dr. Jeckyl: Neutral good
Mr Hyde: Chaotic Neutral

To change he would drink a potion and morph into the Synthesist creature

as the summoner only perhaps as a 'dressing' of the spell casting it would be a drinking of a potion though ???
I like it! It's a great concept, although you would essentially need to make two characters. The transformation might also be somewhat involuntary (such as requiring a Will save when taking damage or angered, kinda like Bruce Banner/Hulk). In a normal tabletop PF game, I might say it gives too much power to one player, but this would be the perfect campaign to try such a thing.
Sorry, but I not a fan of text based character sheets. They do not look so good in comparison and do not have automatic calculations. MW sheets might not be perfect, but they are functional enough. But, I still think there needs to be a Rogues Gallery thread to link the on-line sheets to regardless.

Here is my Bard: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1053565

[sblock=Jamir's Background]Jamir grew up as a vagabond child after his parents were killed. Rumor had it that it was an accident, but he was never really sure what happened. He was too young and was not present. Any adults in the neighborhood that actually knew the truth had determined that the small child did not need to know such things.

He lived on the streets of Magnimar relying on the compassion of some and taking what he could to survive and eat. He was able to sneak into places at night and steal scraps without arising suspicion. Like most street urchins, survival meant being quick on his feet and sticking together with other kids to combine efforts.

As he got older, Jamir was finding that he was capable of more than general thievery. He had a way with words and some folks found his stories entertaining. He was developing an innate aptitude for practicing magic. However after learning a few tricks, he started hiding the other spells he was capable of casting. The gang leaders would have taken steps to keep him in their control and taken away his freedom if they learned he could do more than a few parlor tricks.

Jamir did not want to be tied to a gang at all, looking at becoming more than a street thug in Magnimar. He actually wanted to get out and see more of the world.

Surviving his teenage years had been a continual struggle to avoid being taken by a thieves' guild and scrounging enough coin to feed himself. Learning to provide some entertainment in the taverns proved to be the solution. He was able to do well enough to feed himself and secure lodging on a regular basis without having to steal any more.

By the time he was 18, Jamir had earned enough to pay for some weapons training from a retired gladiator and buy some decent gear. He even had a small amount of saving starting to build up.

Unfortunately, all of that changed when one of gang leaders he had often rejected and eventually had to turn in to the Guard to get him off his back was free once more. He came looking for Jamir with some of his thugs. Jamir booked passage on a small coastal trader to flee the city with what he could carry. The ship had stopped off at Sandpoint and that was all the farther his gold could take him, since he was unable to pay for the passage onwards to Korvosa.[/sblock]

Pending the results of my request in the post above, I am ready to start whenever.
Like the background. It's worth of a bonus trait. The limited nature of the trait accounts for its rather sizable bonuses. As I said, this is a bonus trait, so your character receives it for free.

Magnimarian Streetwise: You know the streets of Magnimar's well-traveled areas and are keen on picking out dangers and foreigners less likely to spot pick-pockets. You gain a +2 trait bonus to Diplomacy checks to gather information, Sleight of Hand, and Perception checks in the Dockway and Underbridge districts of Magnimar and half this bonus in other districts of Magnimar.

I didn't crunch any numbers, but after looking it over, sheet looks good. If you want to make some adjustments based on the bonus trait or after kinem has submitted his sheet, feel free.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I like it! It's a great concept, although you would essentially need to make two characters. The transformation might also be somewhat involuntary (such as requiring a Will save when taking damage or angered, kinda like Bruce Banner/Hulk). In a normal tabletop PF game, I might say it gives too much power to one player, but this would be the perfect campaign to try such a thing.
Like the background. It's worth of a bonus trait. The limited nature of the trait accounts for its rather sizable bonuses. As I said, this is a bonus trait, so your character receives it for free.
I like the will check for stressful situation. I was thinking only one class or the other, just not quite sure which to do yet. thinking . . . . . .

The potions are not as an alchemist's mutagens, just that he 'drinks' the material component of his summoner spell. If there is a cost, then it is for an expensive reagent or something. As he drinks these potions they accumulate in his system causing an occasional transformation into Hyde-Hulk during times of stress.

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I like the will check for stressful situation. I was thinking only one class or the other, just not quite sure which to do yet. thinking . . . . . .
Ah, ok. I get it now. Sounds cool either way.

I just realized a couple things are missing from your character sheet, [MENTION=88649]perrinmiller[/MENTION], although it's understandable you overlooked it since they are from variant rule. Be sure to calculate and add these:
  • Critical defense check bonus = creature's (your) DR + Dexterity modifier + shield bonus to Defense + deflection bonus -- I will provide enemy critical attack scores since we are using Player's Roll All the Dice
  • Your Critical attack bonus = 1/2 attacker's (your) base attack bonus + 1 for each critical feat + 1 for each size category larger attacker is than target (circumstantial; assume +0 size bonus and modify when attacking small or smaller enemies) -- This replaces your critical defense DC since we are using Player's Roll All the Dice.
  • Magic check (varies based on spell level) = 1d20 + spell level + ability modifer + other modifiers (e.g. Spell Focus) -- Of course you can just subtract 10 from your spell DC or spell-like ability DC when making a magic check.

Incidentally, I will write up how Players Roll All the Dice works in conjunction Critical Hits and Defense from the Armor as Damage Reduction rules so it is clear to everyone. I realize this might be difficult to extrapolate by yourself.

Remove ads